Hard Case Options for CE24

Gnarmageddon

Hey, all -

So my recently acquired PRS CE24 came with a gig bag and I really prefer to have a hard case for each one of my instruments in case they need to be shipped or stored. The PRS-issued cases are nice and all, but $200 seems like I'm paying for an $80 case with a $120 logo. Is there a good option out there (a la Gator, SKB) that's resilient enough for the occasional flight or transport but also offers a nice snug fit?

The Gator ELEC-WIDE seems to be a fit. Anyone have anything pro or con to say?

Last edited:
I can't suggest a case but the PRS cases are tanks. The extra cost is justified for the quality.

Trust me, you should just go ahead an purchase the PRS case. You will buy once, cry once. I originally purchased an SKB case because I wanted a lighter case. The SKB case was definitely lighter, but the it was a compromise. PRS cases used to be a lot cheaper, but they are still worth what they are charging.

Hi the PRS cases are rock solid as Em7 (like that!) has mentioned. However I find them too heavy to transport so bought a Hiscox for my CU24, and found it also fitted my CE. They're very well regarded, pretty light and are known for being very robust.

If you want to see people doing some weight training of PRS cases just put "prs unboxing" on YouTube and watch the videos from Peach Guirars. They're really nice people to deal with (I got my 35th anniversary from them), but they have to lift a lot of these cases as part of their job (I feel for them!).

The downside of a PRS case is weight. That is why I originally went with an SKB case, but a PRS Multi-Fit case fits PRS guitars better than lower cost third-party cases, which tend to be even more universal in design. I have my fingers crossed that PRS will eventually offer a lighter-weight molded case as an option. The foam inside of a molded case shrinks over time, but the weight difference is significant. Paul's answer is the gig bag, but a gig bag does not offer the protection of a hard case. It is like comparing a Studio Slips single or double padding slip or clam shell to a flight case. A gig bag is fine as a cost lowering strategy, but PRS needs to offer a case that does not make the combined package a 25lb+ tote. PRS is a little too stuck in the past case-wise.

I also find PRS cases to be overly heavy. I use them for storing core guitars at home. Out in the world I've used Musicians Gear, B&B, Gator and TKL. Most Strat style case fit a PRS Custom. The PRS multi case puts stress on the neck of the S2 Customs, due to the body being thinner than a core model. I'm not sure how a CE will fit.

Last edited:
I picked up one of the SKB PRS flight cases as I have to fly overseas for several gigs this summer and it is amazing in both build and protection. Has TSA locks for security.

I also find PRS cases to be overly heavy. I use them for storing core guitars at home. Out in the world I've used Musicians Gear, B&B, Gator and TKL. Most Strat style case fit a PRS Custom. The PRS multi case puts stress on the neck of the S2 Customs, due to the body being thinner than a core model. I'm not sure how a CE will fit.
A post-2016 CE24 fits into a new multi-fit case very nicely.

I place a folded t-shirt underneath the body of my CE24. That makes up the difference of the thinner body, and places less stress on the neck. Fits like a champ! :cool:

Back