Hans' Winter NAMM 2015 Blog

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;185050 said:
It wasn't in public, Ang. It was in the dealer-only area of the PRS suite.

I went looking for it after the other images surfaced. I figured it was announced and out there for public consumption. When I was taken to the back room, I had to wait for two guys to get out of the way. They were photographing the guitar. Given the photos that were out there and the guys in front of me, it didn't even cross my mind that it would be an issue to snap some photos. I was more than a little embarrassed to learn (when I returned Jack's call) that the piece of paper on the wall next to Vela (which I didn't read) said something about not taking photos.

On one hand, everyone knows that you're not going to bring a guitar to NAMM and keep it a secret for more than an hour or two. Furthermore, as soon as dealers get a copy, they're going to start sharing photos with their usual buyers - so I don't feel responsible for outing the Vela or the Alex SE. That said, NAMM is not for the consumers (like me). It is a place for wholesalers to meet with retailers. When I come to NAMM, I try to remember that and stay out of the way. I feel badly that I played a part, however large or small, in disrupting that interaction.

That makes more sense. If they didn't want anyone to find out about it, the guitar never would've been there. Still, if it were that important - there seemingly would be a bigger sign saying no pics. I still believe PRS wanted to gauge reaction without "going public" with the new guitar. Companies do it all the time. Nothin' wrong with that.

That makes more sense. If they didn't want anyone to find out about it, the guitar never would've been there. Still, if it were that important - there seemingly would be a bigger sign saying no pics. I still believe PRS wanted to gauge reaction without "going public" with the new guitar. Companies do it all the time. Nothin' wrong with that.

Completely agree with you on this Vaughn. I would think PRS would want to take advantage of the buzz this is creating, but it isn't my company.

PRS Vela fight club...the first rule is to not talk about Vela....the 2nd rule is we don't talk about Vela.

You're welcome. I'll be adding a pile of photos today.

D693AEE6-E7E9-4425-9623-182CCAB3A9F6_zpsphfqgsfn.jpg

NAMM isn't open to the public. I'd love to go one year, but I don't know any dealer well enough any more to get credentials.

So, since it is essentially a closed event, if an item has a "no photos" sign next to it, that should be honored, period. And let's not quibble about the size, color, font or background of the sign. It is obviously readable, else no one here would be talking about it saying no photos.

I'm not busting on Hans - I know him well enough that I know he feels badly about any pics he posted that shouldn't have gotten out. He'd be the LAST person I'd suspect of going against any company's wishes at the show - especially true for PRS. He's respectful of company wishes, that's just the way Hans rocks and he has my respect for it.

Does PRS want it to 'leak'? Who knows. It's not our call or our decision.

Last edited:
Dinner at Angelo's & Vinci's Restorante was excellent, as usual. A few folks left before we took this photo (like John Mann, CRGTR, and MartySnarf). This was the largest gathering of BAM'ers I've seen in years.

930EAE18-D785-464A-BF4B-87B44932B1AA_zpsmdmfhiw2.jpg

Last edited:
Paul didn't count on pics of the Vela leaking out like Belichik didn't know about his balls being deflated. In all seriousness, "Deflategate" notwithstanding, I don't believe for a second that Paul doesn't want this out there.

I was seeing comments on the gear pages about artificial hype and how the guitar community takes it negatively. I for one don't mind it at all, when it comes to marketing guitars. When Hollywood pulls that BS to bump a Star up the charts (aka Kim Kardashian) I deplore it. Mainly because the Kardashian's (and those like them) lack any substance and benefit from the hype due to the hype alone.

But when it comes to something of (arguably) actual substance like a new PRS guitar...I enjoy a little P.T. Barnum theatrics, something that Paul is as good at as he is building GREAT Guitars!

Steve

Mike, excellent avatar, bro.

"Je suis Charlie!"

(NOT trying to start that king of discussion. Just paying homage to my friend Mike and his excellence in humanity.)

I'm a man who loves creation who's weary of a world hell bent on destruction. Great image with a powerful message that goes beyond what happened.

The new PRS is getting some serious interest. I don't think PRS will be too put out that the cats out of the bag.

Had a panic moment when I saw the Line 6 pics. Just bought a POD Hd500X for my Birthday. Still in it's box whilst I decorate the music room. Then I hear they have the new Multi FX unit out. I was thinking Damn! Seems it's not the new flagship though so I can breath a sigh of relief. I know that shouldn't matter. But it matters! :)

Han's, I recognize a few in the above pic, but it would be nice to put names with faces.
You up front, Markie the Wild West T shirt on, and I seem to have seen the guy with the black hat on before on the forum here I think.
And I think that is Chris at the rear raising his arm?
Use to seeing him with sunglasses on in his videos :D

Completely agree with you on this Vaughn. I would think PRS would want to take advantage of the buzz this is creating, but it isn't my company.

PRS Vela fight club...the first rule is to not talk about Vela....the 2nd rule is we don't talk about Vela.

They want to and they totally are. Look at us, we're talking about this model for 3 pages and it doesnt exist. PRS rarely, if ever, leaks material before THEY intended on letting people know - officially or not. I mean think about it, you think the S2 or SE bass leaked early? Wrong - Cullen and crew were bringing S2 prototypes and SE basses around to road shows wellllllllllllll before they were official. They know the game and play it well ;)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;185080 said:
You're welcome. I'll be adding a pile of photos today.

D693AEE6-E7E9-4425-9623-182CCAB3A9F6_zpsphfqgsfn.jpg
Sweet baby Jesus. I'm not tryin' to bring religion on the board here, but that be a religious experience in my book! I gotta order me some Wild West swag too. Awesome store and cool guys...in the night.

Back