Hanging around

Robert Carr

Why can't I take my guitar everywhere??
The other day I went into my office/studio and noticed my Telecaster was hanging a little odd. The top of the hanger was pulled away from the wall and the guitar was about to drop. Must have missed the stud when I hung the hanger. Usually my acoustic goes there, so the extra weight must have exposed the weakness.

To correct the issue, I went to the wood store and bought a lovely piece of Purpleheart wood. This stuff is regular oak color, until it's exposed to oxygen. Then it turns purple and gets deeper for the next 10-12 years - then fades to brown. It comes from southern Mexico or Nothern South America.

This stuff should come with a warning label. It's dense, strong and dang near impregnable. I had to predrill two 3"inch wood screws on every stud- and then predrill the two 2" inch screws for the hangers. It completely killed my drill battery doing that. I have to recharge it before getting the PRS in the middle, but it's turning out great.

Updated pic.

image_zpsrsiv9g1d.jpeg

Last edited:
Crap, I should have your problems. My walls are hard plaster, built in the 1930's. All my PRSi are sitting on stands in my bedroom. I just have to quarantine them when the grand kids come for a visit. o_O

That looks great, and I will probably do the same when I move by having one long piece of wood for my Hercules wall mounts instead of each going into a wall stud like I do now.
This way with the strip you can fit more in too.

Lookin' good there - glad you caught it before any damage occurred. Although it wasn't like it was a PRS that was gonna drop ;)

That looks great, and I will probably do the same when I move by having one long piece of wood for my Hercules wall mounts instead of each going into a wall stud like I do now.
This way with the strip you can fit more in too.
Those are Hercules mounts with the fingers that close with weight. Probably the only thing that prevented the tubby Telecaster from falling out. :)

Great save! I have the Hercules mounts also...used a stud finder to be sure there weren't any mishaps!

Probably the only thing that prevented the tubby Telecaster from falling out. :)
I was under the impression it was the mount coming away from the wall that was the cause for concern not the mount letting go?

Question, how do you keep them clean and dust free while they're hanging there? I have my guitars in a multi-rack on the floor and have to have them fully covered when not in use otherwise they get full of dust. My house is on a main road that tends to get more muck than somewhere away from the road and I have an air purifier running most of the time.

I was under the impression it was the mount coming away from the wall that was the cause for concern not the mount letting go?

Question, how do you keep them clean and dust free while they're hanging there? I have my guitars in a multi-rack on the floor and have to have them fully covered when not in use otherwise they get full of dust. My house is on a main road that tends to get more muck than somewhere away from the road and I have an air purifier running most of the time.
Mine all hang. Feather dusted weekly.

The mount was pulling away from the wall, the fingers on the mount -around the neck- kept the Tele in the mount.

They do get dusty. I try to dust them now and again, not every week, but now and again. I do try to spread the playing around on all of them. A certain guitar gets played more than others tho ...

Robert and Red, you did a nice job hanging them! Looks good.

Question, how do you keep them clean and dust free while they're hanging there? I have my guitars in a multi-rack on the floor and have to have them fully covered when not in use otherwise they get full of dust.

I keep mine cased. The pots stay un-scratchy, and the cases buffer the temp and humidity changes, so there's less maintenance. And of course, fewer accidents.

But I'm super-weird, I guess.

Yeah with the light coming through the window will probably fade the guitars over time. Actually I never could tell on my cu24 until I popped my pickups out and was like "hot damn!" That's what royal blue looks like!

Most of mine stay cased until the weekend.
But out 100% of the time are are my 2012 '61 SG Reissue, Baby Fernandes, and my 2012 SE Santana.
They do not get a lot of sun on the wall they are on.

Weekends out come the S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, and any other one I feel like playing like the 408, the SE Kingfisher bass.
I rarely get out all ten unless it is a holiday weekend like the one coming up, or if I am home on vacation for a week or so.

If the guitars are out, I am more inclined to pick one up and noodle.

Yeah with the light coming through the window will probably fade the guitars over time
Watch this from 19 minutes onward although the hole tube is worth watching:
There's PRS activity as well:)

Watch this from 19 minutes onward although the hole tube is worth watching:
There's PRS activity as well:)

I see what your saying. Well I get worried about my guitars fading. My #1 is a royal blue 96 cu24 and its faded so much over the years but I still love it, mby even more now that it's faded. :)

its faded so much over the years but I still love it, mby even more now that it's faded. :)
Quite right too, fair wear and tear is more than acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Look at Berni'e beast, one of the best LP's ever and look at the state of it, it's beautiful and plays like a dream!!

Back