Hangin' with Paul and Bryan

garrett

Saw Paul and Bryan at Righteous Guitars last night. Fun was had by all, of course.

Quick run-down:
  • Paul told the story about @Basauri & the diamond and the one about putting @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© in a straight jacket. You guys are legends.
  • Paul and Bryan had a great time pulling different guitars off the wall to play.
  • Paul brought what he said was a prototype for an updated Paul's Guitar. He was mum on the details, but it had the smaller brushstroke birds (that actually fit in between the frets). Got my GAS meter going, dang it. Maybe we'll learn more at NAMM.
  • The J-MOD sounds INCREDIBLE. One of the best gain sounds I've ever heard.
  • No guitars were thrown, but an attendee brought a Dragon Singlecut which Paul and Bryan checked out on stage. Paul gave a good scare by acting like he was going to drop it when he gave it back.
  • Paul found out about my bird tattoo, and during the meet 'n' greet session, he left for a minute to grab his phone so he could take a picture. A surreal role reversal there.
  • Paul was extremely gracious with his time. The clinic ran over schedule, and the autograph session was still in full swing when I left. He was in no hurry at all.
  • I chatted with Bryan for a minute on my way out. Really cool and down to earth dude.
  • I don't think a connection like this between the leader of a company and its customers exists anywhere else. If you ever get the chance to attend an event like this, don't hesitate.
g5L3Q6w.jpg

Bn1uvtJ.jpg

A little souvenir for my 594:
KOtjnE3.jpg

Caption this:
UOg0tmB.jpg

Saw Paul and Bryan at Righteous Guitars last night. Fun was had by all, of course.

Quick run-down:
  • Paul told the story about @Basauri & the diamond and the one about putting @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© in a straight jacket. You guys are legends.
  • Paul and Bryan had a great time pulling different guitars off the wall to play.
  • Paul brought what he said was a prototype for an updated Paul's Guitar. He was mum on the details, but it had the smaller brushstroke birds (that actually fit in between the frets). Got my GAS meter going, dang it. Maybe we'll learn more at NAMM.
  • The J-MOD sounds INCREDIBLE. One of the best gain sounds I've ever heard.
  • No guitars were thrown, but an attendee brought a Dragon Singlecut which Paul and Bryan checked out on stage. Paul gave a good scare by acting like he was going to drop it when he gave it back.
  • Paul found out about my bird tattoo, and during the meet 'n' greet session, he left for a minute to grab his phone so he could take a picture. A surreal role reversal there.
  • Paul was extremely gracious with his time. The clinic ran over schedule, and the autograph session was still in full swing when I left. He was in no hurry at all.
  • I chatted with Bryan for a minute on my way out. Really cool and down to earth dude.
  • I don't think a connection like this between the leader of a company and its customers exists anywhere else. If you ever get the chance to attend an event like this, don't hesitate.
g5L3Q6w.jpg

Bn1uvtJ.jpg

A little souvenir for my 594:
KOtjnE3.jpg

Caption this:
UOg0tmB.jpg

Such a cool deal!

Here's your caption: NO STAIRWAY!

Wow...MEGA cool!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

I agree with you about the connection between PRSh and the rest of us. It's great that a leader of a company, 1) actually cares about the product, and 2) takes the time to mingle/meet/chat with the customers/fans. Beyond awesome, and a GREAT reason to believe in the instruments.

"I don't think a connection like this between the leader of a company and its customers exists anywhere else."

I think that one sentence says it all. The owner/creator and employees all take the time to interact with the buyers/players. In person, here on this forum, etc. Quality of their product and quality of the owners and employees. It's quality from beginning to end. That's something to be proud of. And on a somewhat related topic, I've noticed that PRS owners seem to be some of the kindest and most tolerant people on the Internet. I ran a Gibson based forum for years and the forum tended to be mostly arguing about whose guitar was better or why someone else was wrong. On here and Facebook, PRS people seem to just be happy for others when they finally get a great guitar and are always jumping in to be helpful. It doesn't matter if it is a SE or a Private Stock. A family is a family. At least that's how I feel ever since my big switch to PRS many years ago. I'm part of a huge fun family. :)

I agree with you about the connection between PRSh and the rest of us. It's great that a leader of a company, 1) actually cares about the product, and 2) takes the time to mingle/meet/chat with the customers/fans. Beyond awesome, and a GREAT reason to believe in the instruments.
+1

Would so like to meet PRSh, he’s so passionate about tone. He’s a wood junkie like me.

He’s be a cool guy to hang out with

Nice touch that he personalised your headstock

Sweet!

I attended a similar event last month.
I had him sign my WL SC594 and he was grilling me about when it was made.
The order was placed 3 days after the model was announced last year.

8EkeusH.jpg

Re: the Paul’s guitar he was playing,
Boscoe had asked him specifically about the pickups in it, to which he replied “they’re prototypes”

" PRS people seem to just be happy for others when they finally get a great guitar and are always jumping in to be helpful. It doesn't matter if it is a SE or a Private Stock. A family is a family. At least that's how I feel ever since my big switch to PRS many years ago. I'm part of a huge fun family. :)

Paul doesn't just make guitars, he helps make friends.

Re: the Paul’s guitar he was playing,
Boscoe had asked him specifically about the pickups in it, to which he replied “they’re prototypes”

Yeah Paul was talking about cracking the code on how to make humbuckers sound like single coils. It was implied that this proto employed a different solution from the existing 408 setup. But then he started talking about how they've already captured single coil qualities in the 85/15 and 58/15 LT pickups, which he then grabbed guitars off the wall for Bryan to demo. Bryan played a 30th anniversary CU24 and that WL SC594 pictured, both just in humbucker mode.

Now that I think of it, when I was chatting with Ben at Righteous last month, he was just back from a factory trip and he mentioned that Paul was very into pickups lately and was tinkering with a bunch of prototypes.

Paul is an artist who likes to be with other artists. Awesome and talented guy who also happens to make (imho) the instruments that inspire us all.

He’s even more obsessed than we are. And that’s saying something!

Sorry I missed them this time around. Paul's last visit to Righteous was awesome, and I had the guitar thrown at me! This time I was home in bed with a nice case of strep throat :(

Back