Had the opportunity to do something pretty cool this past weekend.

Shrews824

I realize this is a PRS forum, but I also know from my short time being here that the majority of you guys/gals are just like me and enjoy guitars regardless of makes and models. Well, this past Saturday I went to the Amigo's Guitar Show in Nashville/Franklin. It's the first show held there since 2019 so, needless to say I was pretty excited to go. I've probably been going for 15 years or so, but I very eager to go this year since it had been 3 years.

Now, I'm sure that anyone that has been to these shows can tell you that's it's not uncommon to run across various guitars/amps of different vintages ranging in price from little to nothing to the absolutely absurd. I mean, it's nothing to see 50's Teles and Strats, Dumble Amps, or even a 'Burst. However, I was really taken aback by what I ran across this time.

It was Paul Kossoff's '59 Burst. And believe it or not they actually let me play the thing. Granted, I didn't get to plug it in or anything, but I got to pluck around on it a little and talk to the owners about it. I just thought that was very cool of them to let me do so because they didn't know me from Adam. I've never had the opportunity to play a real Burst and the first one I ever got my hands on was Kossoff's!!!! I couldn't believe it. Pretty cool I thought.

WCfXjko.jpg

ERTfH5h.jpg

Note the "legendary" neck break:

87lLPSx.jpg

To add to it the same folks had this 1959 Flying V too. Now, I've seen a few 'Bursts over the years, but I've never seen a V in person. This thing was actually found in a landfill in Virginia. And it was incredible how straight the neck was!!! I figured it would be all jacked up, but it wasn't. Other than the wear it had it was all there. They had changed the tuners, but they still had the originals in the case. You can kind of make out in the pictures laying on the table that Mike Hickey and the owner sort of put it back together and got it playing great. Oh, and they let me pick on this one for a minute also. It rang like a bell acoustically.

7AbjREf.jpg

Well, doesn’t get much better than that. Great pix too! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Yeah, it's going to be tough to beat that one. I should've taken more pics, but I was just so impressed with the stories (especially the V) that I was doing more talking than taking pics.
Guys, I’m only kidding when I say “all other guitars are trash” please don’t throw Flying V’s in the garbage.
I know, can you believe that? The story I got is that the guitar player who owned it passed away and the family didn't know what it was, obviously, and thought it was just some cheap piece of junk. If I'm not mistaken, I believe only 19 '59 V's were shipped that year. I'll have to double check on that to confirm. And to think this is one of the 19!!!!
How many people are now, as a result of this thread, checking out local landfills?!?!?o_O;)
Just think how many valuable guitars were thrown out. Seriously. Sure, they may not all be '52 Teles or Flying V's, but you know there had to be some gems thrown out with the trash on occasion.
That's is very, very cool!
It was definitely something I won't forget anytime soon that's for sure.

I wondered if anyone else went from the forum. I want terribly impressed but I guess I've been desensitized from being around it a ton.

I did realize that my modest collection is worth a billion dollars if I use a similar pricing model to everyone there.

I wondered if anyone else went from the forum. I want terribly impressed but I guess I've been desensitized from being around it a ton.

I did realize that my modest collection is worth a billion dollars if I use a similar pricing model to everyone there.
You know, I was talking to a few guys there and we were talking about how much the price has jumped on guitars and gear over the last 2 years. Yes, the top tier stuff will always be way out of my reach and has been for 30 years, but the "player" stuff. Geez man, crazy. I mean, they were selling mid 80's Tele's and Strats for $4k. Don't get me wrong, they are nice guitars and I would never ridicule anyone's choice of a guitar and I guess a guitar is worth what someone will pay for it, but I'm not paying that. Early 90's Strats going for $1500??? I remember paying $400 all day long for those used in the late 90's early 2000's.

I thought it was a good show. Maybe not as great as some of the others, but I saw some nice stuff. It's been my experience that some years are definitely down while others are incredibly good. Just depends on what's on the market at the time I guess. I know one thing. A lot of people were there!!!

You know, I was talking to a few guys there and we were talking about how much the price has jumped on guitars and gear over the last 2 years. Yes, the top tier stuff will always be way out of my reach and has been for 30 years, but the "player" stuff. Geez man, crazy. I mean, they were selling mid 80's Tele's and Strats for $4k. Don't get me wrong, they are nice guitars and I would never ridicule anyone's choice of a guitar and I guess a guitar is worth what someone will pay for it, but I'm not paying that. Early 90's Strats going for $1500??? I remember paying $400 all day long for those used in the late 90's early 2000's.

I thought it was a good show. Maybe not as great as some of the others, but I saw some nice stuff. It's been my experience that some years are definitely down while others are incredibly good. Just depends on what's on the market at the time I guess. I know one thing. A lot of people were there!!!

Yeah a few grand for a 70's strat neck is rather high.

I thought the 2019 show was better but for how covid and all went, it was fairly alright.

Yeah a few grand for a 70's strat neck is rather high.

I thought the 2019 show was better but for how covid and all went, it was fairly alright.
Dude, did you see that '52 Tele neck that was selling for $5K???? I about died. I'm sure that was at the same table. They probably had two dozen or so necks laying there. I was really interested in some of them, but then I saw the price!!!

I agree, the '19 show was a good one. I was just happy to see that many people out and about and enjoying some guitars and gear.

Dude, did you see that '52 Tele neck that was selling for $5K???? I about died. I'm sure that was at the same table. They probably had two dozen or so necks laying there. I was really interested in some of them, but then I saw the price!!!

I agree, the '19 show was a good one. I was just happy to see that many people out and about and enjoying some guitars and gear.

I didn't see that but I'm not surprised! I was with a friend and we were on a parts mission that was unsuccessful. I liked the 88 custom 24 I saw and a few of the older teles and Gibson archtops but otherwise nothing really jumped out.

I didn't see that but I'm not surprised! I was with a friend and we were on a parts mission that was unsuccessful. I liked the 88 custom 24 I saw and a few of the older teles and Gibson archtops but otherwise nothing really jumped out.
Gotcha. Yeah, I thought they had some solid stuff there. A few of the bigger dealers definitely had some choice stuff. Again, most of it way out of my price point, but still... it's nice to look at. I'm sure I'll be there again next year if all goes well.

I would get sooooo lost if I ever had the chance to go to a show like that. I'd probably die right there.

It can definitely be a little overwhelming at first. I usually have to walk the floor 3 or 4 times just to make sure I don't miss anything.

The first show I ever went to was a real eye opener just because of the sticker shock. The first table I looked at had guitars for $5k... $7,500.... $10k. I couldn't believe it. By the time you've made it to the last table you've seen a hundred guitars in that price range. A person gets kind of numb to it after a bit.

They are fun though. I love going to them. I look forward to it every year. Nashville used to have 3 a year (two were run by a different organization). Now, they just have the one.

Gotcha. Yeah, I thought they had some solid stuff there. A few of the bigger dealers definitely had some choice stuff. Again, most of it way out of my price point, but still... it's nice to look at. I'm sure I'll be there again next year if all goes well.

I'll definitely go again. I live off the next exit north on 65 so it's like going to the grocery store for me.

I'll definitely go again. I live off the next exit north on 65 so it's like going to the grocery store for me.
Sweet!!! Yeah, it's about a 3 hour drive one way for me. Normally, I stop by Gruhn's, Carter's, Rumble Seat, etc. also. Didn't do that this year however. Traffic was so bad on 65 I just skipped downtown and came on home.

Back