Had the opportunity to do something pretty cool this past weekend.

I realize this is a PRS forum, but I also know from my short time being here that the majority of you guys/gals are just like me and enjoy guitars regardless of makes and models. Well, this past Saturday I went to the Amigo's Guitar Show in Nashville/Franklin. It's the first show held there since 2019 so, needless to say I was pretty excited to go. I've probably been going for 15 years or so, but I very eager to go this year since it had been 3 years.

Now, I'm sure that anyone that has been to these shows can tell you that's it's not uncommon to run across various guitars/amps of different vintages ranging in price from little to nothing to the absolutely absurd. I mean, it's nothing to see 50's Teles and Strats, Dumble Amps, or even a 'Burst. However, I was really taken aback by what I ran across this time.

It was Paul Kossoff's '59 Burst. And believe it or not they actually let me play the thing. Granted, I didn't get to plug it in or anything, but I got to pluck around on it a little and talk to the owners about it. I just thought that was very cool of them to let me do so because they didn't know me from Adam. I've never had the opportunity to play a real Burst and the first one I ever got my hands on was Kossoff's!!!! I couldn't believe it. Pretty cool I thought.

WCfXjko.jpg

ERTfH5h.jpg

Note the "legendary" neck break:

87lLPSx.jpg

To add to it the same folks had this 1959 Flying V too. Now, I've seen a few 'Bursts over the years, but I've never seen a V in person. This thing was actually found in a landfill in Virginia. And it was incredible how straight the neck was!!! I figured it would be all jacked up, but it wasn't. Other than the wear it had it was all there. They had changed the tuners, but they still had the originals in the case. You can kind of make out in the pictures laying on the table that Mike Hickey and the owner sort of put it back together and got it playing great. Oh, and they let me pick on this one for a minute also. It rang like a bell acoustically.

7AbjREf.jpg
Thanks for posting - fab to see even if it's not PRS . And I though my old PRS Sig was battered - Koss' old LP is some way past it. Koss' old LP also looks like an almost perfectly quarter sawn top. I've played one 50s sunburst LP but never even seen an original 50s V - so again fab to see the V.

To add, it was up for auction a while ago, although I don't think it sold. Catalogue entry from Bonhams sale HERE.

And another link from when UK magazine Guitar featured the same guitar - HERE. I remember buying the magazine back in 2015 because of this feature. I love PRS too, don't be mad at me:)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting - fab to see even if it's not PRS . And I though my old PRS Sig was battered - Koss' old LP is some way past it. Koss' old LP also looks like an almost perfectly quarter sawn top. I've played one 50s sunburst LP but never even seen an original 50s V - so again fab to see the V.

To add, it was up for auction a while ago, although I don't think it sold. Catalogue entry from Bonhams sale HERE.

And another link from when UK magazine Guitar featured the same guitar - HERE. I remember buying the magazine back in 2015 because of this feature. I love PRS too, don't be mad at me:)
Cool. Thanks for the link!!! Talking about the Koss Burst top. I couldn't believe how light it was. I was expecting it to be an anchor, but it was very light. I'd be willing to bet it was around 8lbs. Very light for a Les Paul.

Just read that article that stated it weighs around 8.6lbs. I thought it may have been even lighter. Great article too!!!

I realize this is a PRS forum, but I also know from my short time being here that the majority of you guys/gals are just like me and enjoy guitars regardless of makes and models. Well, this past Saturday I went to the Amigo's Guitar Show in Nashville/Franklin. It's the first show held there since 2019 so, needless to say I was pretty excited to go. I've probably been going for 15 years or so, but I very eager to go this year since it had been 3 years.

Now, I'm sure that anyone that has been to these shows can tell you that's it's not uncommon to run across various guitars/amps of different vintages ranging in price from little to nothing to the absolutely absurd. I mean, it's nothing to see 50's Teles and Strats, Dumble Amps, or even a 'Burst. However, I was really taken aback by what I ran across this time.

It was Paul Kossoff's '59 Burst. And believe it or not they actually let me play the thing. Granted, I didn't get to plug it in or anything, but I got to pluck around on it a little and talk to the owners about it. I just thought that was very cool of them to let me do so because they didn't know me from Adam. I've never had the opportunity to play a real Burst and the first one I ever got my hands on was Kossoff's!!!! I couldn't believe it. Pretty cool I thought.

WCfXjko.jpg

ERTfH5h.jpg

Note the "legendary" neck break:

87lLPSx.jpg

To add to it the same folks had this 1959 Flying V too. Now, I've seen a few 'Bursts over the years, but I've never seen a V in person. This thing was actually found in a landfill in Virginia. And it was incredible how straight the neck was!!! I figured it would be all jacked up, but it wasn't. Other than the wear it had it was all there. They had changed the tuners, but they still had the originals in the case. You can kind of make out in the pictures laying on the table that Mike Hickey and the owner sort of put it back together and got it playing great. Oh, and they let me pick on this one for a minute also. It rang like a bell acoustically.

7AbjREf.jpg

CRGTR was there too, and he played both. Got to plug Kossoff’s LP into an amp.

Howard Leese played the Kossoff ‘59 on stage with Bad Company. He said the bridge pickup was extremely hot.

CRGTR was there too, and he played both. Got to plug Kossoff’s LP into an amp.

Howard Leese played the Kossoff ‘59 on stage with Bad Company. He said the bridge pickup was extremely hot.
Sweet!!! I wasn't quite brave enough to ask to plug it in.

I was there Sunday and I did get to play the Koss and the Landfill V. Both were freakin amazing! Kris and his wife were awesome people. I personally preferred the neck on the V. Also liked the tone of it a little better. The Koss was amazing though. Great weekend!

I was there Sunday and I did get to play the Koss and the Landfill V. Both were freakin amazing! Kris and his wife were awesome people. I personally preferred the neck on the V. Also liked the tone of it a little better. The Koss was amazing though. Great weekend!
Yeah, I only spoke to his wife and she was very accommodating and very forthcoming about the guitars and their stories. She was so kind to let me hold and play them both for a few minutes. That V just exploded acoustically. I was totally not expecting that. I can only imagine what it sounded like plugged in. The Koss Burst had a neck profile that was a similar to my LP, so that one felt a little more familiar, but the V's neck was great too.

Back