Had an unfortunate mishap this weekend (battle scars!!!)

I've got a couple of guitars with minor dings but the damage on yours would keep me honked off every single time I picked it up to play it.

I had a charvel model 4 back in the day. I let my singer use it and he dropped it. Landed on the base of the mic stand. He quickly picked it up and said sorry then proceeded to drop it a 2nd time and it ended up with serious damage like yours.

Ugh

Not sure how to explain it but minor dings don't bother me as much as the deep hits do. I always think I should get it repaired.

The damage to my charvel is still vivid in my memory and that was in the late 80s.

My 2011 cu24 has a finish chip on the back of the neck down to the wood. Singer from my last band did it while tearing down after a gig.

Same guy that rolled a cab over my expensive guitar cable and also gouged my guitar case.

Will Smith comes to mind.

I had a McCarty refinished in a really killer pearl white paint some years ago. I laid it on top of my guitar case which was on top of a covered pool table. The pool table was on a concrete floor. Take a guess…

Yeah, somehow that beautiful pearly white PRS ended up on the concrete and now has a giant chip out of the top edge. Can’t find a pic right now. Sucks, it is what it is though.

I bought my PRS from a guy who was selling it locally dirt cheap. Weird, it was an all original 1990 10-top with birds and looked amazing in photos. I always wanted to try a real PRS and decided I had nothing to lose at that price so I met him and looked it over. The front is pristime but there was a long crack in the back from the screw hole on the backpanel spreading up to the belly curve. The guy said it was just a deep scratch in the finish but I don't believe it. He said he had it in the case and heavy bookshelf fall off the wall and landed on the case. Sure enough, the wood on one side of the case is actually broken. There's the trauma right there, pretty big one to do that. Thank god the guitar didn't take a direct hit, I guess.

Well, that's why it was cheap. But I bought it anyway mostly because it just felt so damn good in my hands. I couldn't say no and it quickly became my personal Number 1. I'm really glad that guy panicked and sold it to me. It's not an heirloom and I have no idea what I could get if I sold it but the good news is that I will never sell it. Never. Sometimes shopping the scratch and dent aisle pays off.

Just a quick update. I found a luthier that is going to fix my guitar. He said it shouldn't be any problem to get it back to being somewhat "normal". I told him it didn't have to be perfect as I don't mind some natural wear and blemishes, but if he could do anything to fix the real deep hit I'd be most grateful. He also said that the neck and the nut area looked great as far as stability and no damage. I dropped the guitar off this past Friday and he's supposed to holler at me when it's done. He's pretty backed up so it could be a few weeks. I will be back in his area in about a month so I may just wait until then to pick it up. I have been playing my PRS a ton though so that's always good, right? I'll tell ya one thing... I feel so much better.

Ouch, such a sickening feeling when that happens.

My MIJ Strat has paint missing from the leading edge, near the Jack socket due to me falling off a table about 30 years ago.

Never got it fixed because it was my “work horse” guitar, much the same as Les’ son’s attitude.

Back