Guys... the Gibson LP standard costs $3400 now

My take. I own 2 LP's. Black & white. They fit my hands like good gloves. Excellent playability. Both sound awesome. BUT...My chemistry somehow adversely interacts with their finish. By that I mean, just merely moving my hands up & down the neck creates a "lightning storm" of static. Every other guitar I own (PRS, Fender, Ibanez) do not do this. Apparently I am not the only one who experiences this.

My take. I own 2 LP's. Black & white. They fit my hands like good gloves. Excellent playability. Both sound awesome. BUT...My chemistry somehow adversely interacts with their finish. By that I mean, just merely moving my hands up & down the neck creates a "lightning storm" of static. Every other guitar I own (PRS, Fender, Ibanez) do not do this. Apparently I am not the only one who experiences this.

Yes. This has been discussed on the Gibson forum. Its an odd phenomenon.
I have a LP too, but never experienced anything like this personally.
I enjoy a choice of different guitars (brands and models) also. Variety of the spice of life!

Wow, I was unaware. A lot of threads about this online. I did find one guy who had a solution
fabric softener and water
https://www.metalguitarist.org/foru...-solved-static-electricity-les-paul-neck.html

I briefly owned an LP around 78 or so. It was beat to hell, I didn't know the vintage, and I traded a guy 4 wide ovals mounted on 4 Krager mags for it. He wanted the wheels, I was at a loss for a guitar after a divorce wiped out my rig. When I say beat, I mean a fantastic natural relic. That thing if it exists now is probably worth 50G's or something...I never even plugged it in to "Know why" as they say, I didn't have an amp to plug it into. Somewhere in the mists of time, it got traded or sold, I don't even remember, but I had one at least for a while. I think the tire guy got the better deal...

I still reach for a Les Paul now and then when I want that certain old familiar feeling. The classics are not without their merits - I still play Strats sometimes too. Still, the PRSs get a lot more play time than anything else.

And $3400 for a new LP is just beyond the pale. Inconceivable.

I still reach for a Les Paul now and then when I want that certain old familiar feeling. The classics are not without their merits - I still play Strats sometimes too. Still, the PRSs get a lot more play time than anything else.

And $3400 for a new LP is just beyond the pale. Inconceivable.

Exactly. Don’t get me wrong, I love my LP. But is it worth $100 less than a CU24? No way.

I sold my 1980 LP Standard 2 years ago (I was the original owner) because it simply became too heavy for me to want to play, either sitting or standing.
Owing a DC 594 has made it a whole lot easier to forget about the LP.

I kind of grew up with Les Pauls, including one (sadly long gone) original 56 GT. Somewhere along the line I got a Hamer Monaco GT with upgraded P90s. I may be deluding myself, but I am convinced it is a better guitar (if not investment) than the original. But sometime else, I picked up a couple PRS Singlecuts and Huber Orcas. Then the LAST Les Paul departed. I do not miss it.

Some might argue I am missing that "last 2-3%." Well, maybe. I think not.
Case in point....Just one example.....

Was playing my Orca last night, best ‘LP’ I’ve ever had. Given Steve’s comments I might have to try one of those M2M ones someday...

Love my P245T though - my PRS version of the Lifeson Axcess model, but WAY better with the Braz neck and build quality!

EDIT - I still see some P245s out there NOS, great deals for those seeking PRS quality on LP like sound. Most are lighter than the SC594 despite still having a very thick body depth (SC594 is slightly thicker).

Back