Guitars you've owned that you thought are worth more than the price you paid? Less?

For years, my one guitar that I felt was worth more than I paid for it was my Ibanez JS100. VERY nice guitar, I played 3 of the JS1000s that weren't as nice and my one buddy that owned one of those not only agreed, he paid over 3 times as much. It was my every day player for years as I treated my older PRS like a prize, only playing it once every couple weeks or so.

Now I play a PRS guitar every day. Sometimes two or more. That JS has sat in the case for almost two years without being played since I got the three new PRS's a couple years ago. It's for sale soon, as will several others be. I'm going to have fewer great guitars. I'm going to sell a couple amps and maybe 3-4 guitars to fund, of course, an ARCHON! and then probably a Magesty 7 String, some form of singlecut PRS, and maybe a T5z. I could be swayed to try a couple of the PRS "strat types" as well, 305 or DC3, and since I love my NF3 so much, I'd love to try a Swamp Ash Studio with the 2 NFs and 57/08 in the bridge.

Some of this would be bought new, while those out of production items would have to be bought used. I buy both, carefully, like Elvis said. I'll pay for "quality." Keeps being said in this thread "pay for value." I'll pay for quality because that IS value for me, whether new or used, because I will play it and get the value and enjoyment of such, rather than the guitars that are sitting unplayed now.

Why did you like the JS100 more than the JS1000?

That sounds like a nice instrument. What makes it such a great guitar? Does it compare (or is it better) than any of your more expensive instruments?

Fit, feel and finish. Sounds great too! It's just easy to play. As for a comparison to my others, there are a couple collecting dust because I grab the Bernie.

That sounds like a nice instrument. What makes it such a great guitar? Does it compare (or is it better) than any of your more expensive instruments?

This quote relates to bodia's Bernie which I know he loves. As an owner of two Bernies I can say that the Bernies have a great neck carve, are very comfortable to play, and with minor upgrades are real killer guitars. Currently the guitars that get the most playtime are my first Bernie and a newly acquired 50s Tribute Gibson SG. Both these guitars have necks based on the '59 Les Paul and therefore I switch between both of these pretty easily. These are also the two cheapest guitars I own.

I also own a 20th Anniversary Standard 24 and a 2013 Gibson SG Deluxe. Opening the case with either of these is always a special experience and both of them are a step up in terms of quality - to me it just feels like everything fits together much better. Not that the cheaper guitars are bad in this aspect, these just feel like that someone applied 110% effort vs 95%. Are they worth 2-3 times as much as my two cheapies? Not at all. Do I regret buying them? Not at all. Do I consider them great value for money? I didn't buy them because they were cheap, I bought them because I wanted to see what a first class guitar plays and sounds like.

With the proper upgrades, you can probably get a Bernie to be within spitting distance of my more expensive guitars. Quite frankly, my second Bernie just needs a fret job (the Standard 24 is phenomenal) and a Mann-Made bridge and it will be a true giant killer for less than half the price of a McCarty 594 Singlecut. At that point, it will have every single item upgrade (except for volume and tone pots). Does that mean I won't get GAS for a McCarty 594? Hell no, I fight with that every day!

This quote relates to bodia's Bernie which I know he loves. As an owner of two Bernies I can say that the Bernies have a great neck carve, are very comfortable to play, and with minor upgrades are real killer guitars. Currently the guitars that get the most playtime are my first Bernie and a newly acquired 50s Tribute Gibson SG. Both these guitars have necks based on the '59 Les Paul and therefore I switch between both of these pretty easily. These are also the two cheapest guitars I own.

I also own a 20th Anniversary Standard 24 and a 2013 Gibson SG Deluxe. Opening the case with either of these is always a special experience and both of them are a step up in terms of quality - to me it just feels like everything fits together much better. Not that the cheaper guitars are bad in this aspect, these just feel like that someone applied 110% effort vs 95%. Are they worth 2-3 times as much as my two cheapies? Not at all. Do I regret buying them? Not at all. Do I consider them great value for money? I didn't buy them because they were cheap, I bought them because I wanted to see what a first class guitar plays and sounds like.

With the proper upgrades, you can probably get a Bernie to be within spitting distance of my more expensive guitars. Quite frankly, my second Bernie just needs a fret job (the Standard 24 is phenomenal) and a Mann-Made bridge and it will be a true giant killer for less than half the price of a McCarty 594 Singlecut. At that point, it will have every single item upgrade (except for volume and tone pots). Does that mean I won't get GAS for a McCarty 594? Hell no, I fight with that every day!

Well said!

That sounds awesome! How does the $500 Azul Blue compare to your more expensive guitars?
The only more expensive guitar that I`ve kept is my 2003 CE24 (of course it`s blue, Toothace). Remember Steven, thie SAS is a $2500 guitar when new. What separates th SAS from my others is the absolute dead on intonation. It`s the best I`ve ever played. I`m not fast, but I hear very well. The SAS has a literally perfect neck.

Last edited:

That's a great point. I think that's what I've been trying to get at.

Questions for everyone: Do you have any guitars, with or without modifications, that you like just as much or better than a more expensive instrument?

There was a window in time where Heritage guitars were severely under-priced based upon the materials and workmanship that went into them. Built in the original Gibson factory, on the same machines as the old classics, by the same people who used to work for Gibson back in the day. Better than a Gibson but half the price of one. A guilty pleasure enjoyed by the very few enlightened ones who were in the know. But those days are pretty much gone. With the new owners of the company comes higher prices, more where they should have been all along and comparable to other high end custom shop boutique builds. It was great while it lasted. You can still buy the guitars but they aren't giving them away anymore.

H-150-deluxe-seths-1745.jpg

H-150-deluxe-seths-1747.jpg

H-150-deluxe-seths-032.jpg

H535_1782x1280.jpg

About ten years ago I bought this used Ibanez AR250 VB for $400.00. Since I bought it, I installed Parson Streets Golden Age Pickups with covers. Had the frets leveled and dressed and a couple replaced. Installed a new bridge and gotoh tuners.Added new sure grip knobs from AxeTec. Truly the best guitar I have ever owned. And having worked in a music store for 15 years and been a player for 45 years, I've owned a few. I will gladly stack this axe up against any guitar for sound and playability. The top is truly a maple top and not veneer. the neck is a Les Paul shape but better fit. This is my go to guitar. I own two PRS guitars which i love, but the Ibanez stands right up to both of them.
28143682506_1c59e32e98_c.jpg

28143682506_1c59e32e98.jpg

Last edited:

Agreed. With some help from a friend !!! I did this with my Bernie, From locking tuners, Nut. Mannmade Bridge, Abraxas Pups, Push Pull Pots to even Strap Locks. If the foundations are strong it can be achieved. It's certainly well known around the playing community now round my neck of the woods and really does outshine more expensive guitars for six. I'm well happy.!!

When it comes to musical instruments would you say "you get what you pay for," or have you ever owned a piece of equipment, modded or stock, that you thought you got more than what you paid for it? What about a guitar you paid for and thought "this isn't worth what I paid for it." For example, I've noticed some guys say Epiphone or PRS SE guitars are similar or better than Gibson guitars, and other similar comments.
Both of my acoustics as they can only be had new as PS and I doubt that Steve Fischer would sign any current guitar's as he has his own brand.

Do any of your guitars play or sound [better] than one of your more expensive guitars?
Veinbuster only has the best of the best of the best, sir. Each one was meticulously built with something unique in mind, so only Pete would know the answer to that question (but I'm guessing he'll say no).

I can honestly say that every one of my PRSi...to me.. are worth well above and beyond what I paid.

My SEs punch a hell of a lot harder than their weight class, for sure.

My two Core guitars have a fit, finish, and feel beyond description. They are other-worldly, in my most humble opinion.

I think I got a bargain on all of them, by a long shot.

I can't say the same for other 'brands' I've owned. I wouldn't say I hated them...but they definitely did not feel as 'quality' as my PRS toys.. and at times, I felt like I paid to much, for what I got.

To be fair, though...I have a buddy that feels exactly the same about his 'F' collection. He's in love with them, and has quite a few.

To each their own, I suppose. There are TONS of folks rocking out with their 'end-all-be-all' brand of choice.. which is what makes this obsession all the more interesting to me.

About ten years ago I bought this used Ibanez AR250 VB for $400.00. Since I bought it, I installed Parson Streets Golden Age Pickups with covers. Had the frets leveled and dressed and a couple replaced. Installed a new bridge and gotoh tuners.Added new sure grip knobs from AxeTec. Truly the best guitar I have ever owned. And having worked in a music store for 15 years and been a player for 45 years, I've owned a few. I will gladly stack this axe up against any guitar for sound and playability. The top is truly a maple top and not veneer. the neck is a Les Paul shape but better fit. This is my go to guitar. I own two PRS guitars which i love, but the Ibanez stands right up to both of them.
28143682506_1c59e32e98_c.jpg

28143682506_1c59e32e98.jpg

Wow, that's awesome. I have a Gibson Explorer and I love the neck. One day I want to buy a cheaper instrument and teach myself how to mod it, set it up and solder. Sounds like you ended up with a comparable guitar to PRS for half the price. Nice job!

The Santana SE Standard I just bought about 3 weeks ago. I got it for $300 brand new. Granted I got a smokin deal, but it is just as nice or nicer than guitars in my collection worth 3-5 times more. In fact I almost didn't buy it because all my guitars are $1000+ but it was such a deal. And I'm all about a DEAL! In fact I have another PRS SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow on the way! It'll be here Thursday! I guess I'm a PRS guy now.

I got an SE Navarro for somewhat less than the new price. It punched way above its weight. I also thought the Bernie was cool, though not my thing. I still want a ZM.

I have a long history with Ibanez guitars, and for a very long time they were underpriced for their quality. Now, I think not so much, but still great bang for the buck.

If you are patient and have a lot of time, the 80-20 rule generally applies as well. 80% of a given guitar model will be comparable. Of the remaining 20%, half are dogs, and half are substantially better than average. Some companies have more consistency, others less. I have no doubt you could find a good LP, but good luck with that o_O

Why did you like the JS100 more than the JS1000?
Simple, it played and felt better. I bought it used and never touched it other than strings. It was set up very well. The new one I played and the one my friend had both had higher action, so I could have easily made them more to my liking. No question. But mine was great when I bought it so I never touched the setup.

I have to add, I've bought all my PRS guitars new. They are premium instruments at a premium price. I've gotten more from all of them than what I would have paid for them already with years of enjoyment left (I hope). However, there is one that is worth way more than I paid...

I bought my NF3 from Guitar Center when they were having their (cough) restructuring sale a couple years ago. They had WHACK prices on their web site for all kinds of high end gear. I bought it new for less than 3 used ones I had seen recently listed. I LOVE that guitar! LOVE the pickups! LOVE the neck. LOVE IT!!! There is only one thing "wrong" with it and I've said it way too many times. PRS = Birds to me, and mine doesn't have birds. I REALLY wish it did. But, unless I have a lead on one that does and can trade of sell/buy one that has them, this guitar will NEVER leave me. EVER. And it's the only PRS I've bought for myself, as my wife has bought me the other three, so they ain't goin' nowhere either!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Santana SE Standard I just bought about 3 weeks ago. I got it for $300 brand new. Granted I got a smokin deal, but it is just as nice or nicer than guitars in my collection worth 3-5 times more. In fact I almost didn't buy it because all my guitars are $1000+ but it was such a deal. And I'm all about a DEAL! In fact I have another PRS SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow on the way! It'll be here Thursday! I guess I'm a PRS guy now.

I'm really itching to try a PRS SE again. It's been too long. I heard that the SE is made in Korea but the guitars are still inspected for craftsmanship and quality at the factory in Maryland. That's supposed to be why they're so great. Good for you! Enjoy!

Back