Guitars you've owned that you thought are worth more than the price you paid? Less?

But then it goes away and I wind up like veinbuster to where you couldn't buy my guitars off of me if you tried.

For my gigging guitars, I am the same. You simply couldn't offer me enough for them. But I always have one guitar in my rack that is clearly on the way out if something special comes along. I just traded an ASAT for a 2 Channel H. That was not my first ASAT, and on paper it should have been a keeper. It was enough better than my American Deluxe Tele (which I loved and gigged with for years) that I traded the tele. But then... :(

For years, my one guitar that I felt was worth more than I paid for it was my Ibanez JS100. VERY nice guitar, I played 3 of the JS1000s that weren't as nice and my one buddy that owned one of those not only agreed, he paid over 3 times as much. It was my every day player for years as I treated my older PRS like a prize, only playing it once every couple weeks or so.

Now I play a PRS guitar every day. Sometimes two or more. That JS has sat in the case for almost two years without being played since I got the three new PRS's a couple years ago. It's for sale soon, as will several others be. I'm going to have fewer great guitars. I'm going to sell a couple amps and maybe 3-4 guitars to fund, of course, an ARCHON! and then probably a Magesty 7 String, some form of singlecut PRS, and maybe a T5z. I could be swayed to try a couple of the PRS "strat types" as well, 305 or DC3, and since I love my NF3 so much, I'd love to try a Swamp Ash Studio with the 2 NFs and 57/08 in the bridge.

Some of this would be bought new, while those out of production items would have to be bought used. I buy both, carefully, like Elvis said. I'll pay for "quality." Keeps being said in this thread "pay for value." I'll pay for quality because that IS value for me, whether new or used, because I will play it and get the value and enjoyment of such, rather than the guitars that are sitting unplayed now.

Some of this would be bought new, while those out of production items would have to be bought used. I buy both, carefully, like Elvis said. I'll pay for "quality." Keeps being said in this thread "pay for value." I'll pay for quality because that IS value for me, whether new or used, because I will play it and get the value and enjoyment of such, rather than the guitars that are sitting unplayed now.

Well written. Quality (of materials, design and manufacturing) is a significant value, and the one that makes a guitar last a lifetime and then some.

Also, the T5z is awesome. I have one of those and an 814CE. Guess which one I play.

I have a 614CE and the arthritis in my finger is making it harder and harder to play, and the Taylors are the best playing acoustics made (Except for the PRS which is out of my price range). I'm thinking I may have to get a T5z... The 614 sounds fantastic though and it's not even one of the newer series after Andy revoiced them all

Agreed, BUT...

I think that behind that "price consciousness" is the fear that the instrument will not pan out to be that magical beast we all hope for. Or that we will not stay bonded to it and flip it in a couple years no matter how much we like it out of the box. If bigger price = more pleasure, we'd all buy one really expensive guitar and be done.

Allow me to elaborate on my earlier answer...and forgive me, please, if I go a little off track.

The most valuable thing we have while we are on earth is time. Time is irreplaceable, it can't be bought, and it can't be sold (granted, you can sell what you do for work by the hour or the week, but I mean, you can't buy more time for yourself to be alive). There is no price that can be put on one's existence. But it's also finite. We are not immortal beings. So let's call that the most valuable thing we have, for the sake of discussion. I'll call that our "existence bank."

My own personal philosophy is that I want to get as much joy out of my existence bank as I can.

How do you prioritize the time in your "existence bank?" We're emptying that time bank with whatever we do, whether it's music or something else. In fact, we're pretty much in the dark regarding how much existence we have left. Could be a lot, could be a little. I'll call that "existence expectation." The proverbial three-score and ten.

Out of that limited chunk of existence that each one of us has, those who are driven to make music reserve a certain amount. For me, it's a highly prioritized part of my day, because music is what I do for a livelihood; for others, it's a smaller and less important part of their day. This I understand, and is as it should be. So I tend to want to spend that chunk of existence doing something really awesome.

If I decide later that something different is more awesome, I'll happily pursue that, because the value of my existence and creative inspiration is far greater to me than what I might lose financially if something doesn't turn out to float my boat. In fact, I don't even have to think about this - for me, it's axiomatic.

However, that does not mean more expensive = better. On the contrary, it only means that something I like to play more is a better value -- for me. The financial cost is a relatively small part of my consideration, compared to what I want to experience while playing, and compared to the pricelessness of the time I spend playing it.

To make a long story short, I'm here once, and for a limited time. I'm going to do the best I can with it, and get the most enjoyment and inspiration from my gear. I'm not rich, but I go for the brass ring and try not to settle.

YMMV.

...The most valuable thing we have while we are on earth is time. Time is irreplaceable, it can't be bought, and it can't be sold (granted, you can sell what you do for work by the hour or the week, but I mean, you can't buy more time for yourself to be alive). There is no price that can be put on one's existence. But it's also finite. We are not immortal beings. So let's call that the most valuable thing we have, for the sake of discussion. I'll call that our "existence bank."

My own personal philosophy is that I want to get as much joy out of my existence bank as I can...

Deep thinkers throughout history have considered the subject of finite time and have come up with many interesting suppositions about it. If time is so valuable, should we abandon our daily routines and spend our remaining days only doing what we want, in order to make the most of our time? Finite resources usually make this option unsatisfactory. Some work as little as possible so that the rest of their time can be used in more pleasurable pursuits. Often neither the work nor the free time activities are to them fulfilling. This brings up an interesting dichotomy; that the more we behave selfishly, only interested in our own happiness, the more we end up unhappy. Likewise, the kinder we are to others, the more we find our own happiness. Perhaps that is what one ancient philosopher meant when he said "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." Of course there should be moderation in all things and we should do some things for ourselves and we should permit others to do things for us as well.

For me personally, I neither covet the time I spend at work, nor consider time away from personal pursuits poorly spent. My life is more than half over and the unknown quantity remaining promises to be significantly altered by limitations consistent with aging. Still I find fulfillment in watching my children mature and my sweetheart laugh. I do find joy in music and the occasional GAS quest! I have found the secret to a happy life is to allow it to pass by unencumbered with jealousy. The most peaceful gift one can give themselves is a satisfied mind.

Had a longer response written and then deleted it. Unfortunately all my expensive guitars have been sold over the years as my skills don't match those type of instruments. Even playing out professionally, I'm more likely to have a $1k to $2k acoustic rather than something good.

Then again, my lack of willing to spend top dollar on a high quality instrument may have been one of the reasons I'm no longer in a band. Although it was just as much the fact I was unwilling to spend multiple thousands of dollars for a proper folk costume for stage use.

What did that entail? I'm assuming it was more Renaissance fair than Joan Baez turtleneck.

Not quite RenFest. Many Scandinavian folk groups wear folk clothing often based on where they are from. Women often spend $8k for a fully accurate ensemble. I've never been that way. The closest I would go is reproduction farming shirt from that area (Hoven shirts) and black pants. Unfortunately, as I'm not a small guy, would have had to order all the clothing custom tailored from someone in Sweden or Norway. Then hope it would fit. And I never could find anything I liked.

Like many things with that band, it's complicated. Am still a bit bitter over how it has ended, or is ending, or something.

As to the original topic, both my PRS guitars worth more than I paid. And my most disappointing was probably any of the Santa Cruz or Collings guitars I've owned. They are really nice instruments, but they really didn't speak to me musically long term.

The more satisfying/inspiring an instrument is to own and use, the greater its value.

The more one uses an instrument and creates on it, the more valuable it becomes to the player. Play the most satisfying and inspiring instrument, and you'll find it priceless.

It's amusing that most of us will readily accept the idea of dropping X dollars on computers and mobile phones that, regardless of price, will be useless doorstops within a few short years, but worry hard about the price of an instrument that will last a lifetime and give back to its owner every time it's played.

That's a very interesting point you make. I agree!

Some excellent responses here so I'll keep it simple:

1) my '06 CE24, cost (and the used market says it's only worth...) half a CU24 because its neck joint has 4 bigass screws instead of a brushload of glue. Oh and it also has a killer maple neck but the "market" apparently dismisses that fact. So I benefit from the ignorance.
2) my new '09 Mira Korina, cost less than my used CE24 because despite the set neck it's regarded by many as a "minor league" PRS. So I benefit from the ignorance.
3) Lest I forget my Ovation Elite 1778: probably the second-best sounding acoustic I've had over the past 40 years (sold 2 Collings, kept the Ovation). Everyone disses Ovations. Horrible to stand with, absolutely. Fantastic recording guitar, no doubt. Paid $450, so I benefit again.

No complaints here, I try to buy smart. Usually do, sometimes don't. Let's not talk Mesa!

Cheers

I do have one guitar that stands out as the best deal I could imagine. My friend, Rodney, had another friend who passed away. The family of this deceased friend asked Rodney to sell his guitars, as they had no idea what they were worth. Rodney agreed, and then got mad at himself because he hates to sell guitars. He just wanted the axes gone. So......$500 later, I became the very proud owner of a 2006, Azul Blue, maple neck, swamp Ash special. it`s become my #1 gig guitar, and has the best intonation of any guitar I`ve ever played. And it was mint. We all get lucky sometimes. All my other PRS were great buys that I'm very happy with. The SAS was a legal steal.

Some excellent responses here so I'll keep it simple:

1) my '06 CE24, cost (and the used market says it's only worth...) half a CU24 because its neck joint has 4 bigass screws instead of a brushload of glue. Oh and it also has a killer maple neck but the "market" apparently dismisses that fact. So I benefit from the ignorance.
2) my new '09 Mira Korina, cost less than my used CE24 because despite the set neck it's regarded by many as a "minor league" PRS. So I benefit from the ignorance.
3) Lest I forget my Ovation Elite 1778: probably the second-best sounding acoustic I've had over the past 40 years (sold 2 Collings, kept the Ovation). Everyone disses Ovations. Horrible to stand with, absolutely. Fantastic recording guitar, no doubt. Paid $450, so I benefit again.

No complaints here, I try to buy smart. Usually do, sometimes don't. Let's not talk Mesa!

Cheers

I've had my eye on a CE24. They're supposed to cost less because of the bolt-on neck so I might go with that for my first PRS. What's your opinion on the scale length of the Ovation. I've never come across a 25.25 inch scale guitar before. What makes the Ovation horrible to stand with?

I do have one guitar that stands out as the best deal I could imagine. My friend, Rodney, had another friend who passed away. The family of this deceased friend asked Rodney to sell his guitars, as they had no idea what they were worth. Rodney agreed, and then got mad at himself because he hates to sell guitars. He just wanted the axes gone. So......$500 later, I became the very proud owner of a 2006, Azul Blue, maple neck, swamp Ash special. it`s become my #1 gig guitar, and has the best intonation of any guitar I`ve ever played. And it was mint. We all get lucky sometimes. All my other PRS were great buys that I'm very happy with. The SAS was a legal steal.

That sounds awesome! How does the $500 Azul Blue compare to your more expensive guitars?

I'd say my Bernie is worth more than I paid for it. Not that I mean I could get more, but it's WAY more guitar than the price tag would suggest. I've said this before, I went into the store that day intent on buying an LP, Gibby or Epi. The best LP I played that day was the Bernie. Just felt so much better, in every way, than any of the others I touched.

That sounds like a nice instrument. What makes it such a great guitar? Does it compare (or is it better) than any of your more expensive instruments?

Well said AP515. I had a similar path: a few trash guitars for years, finally got an AM Strat, loved it for years. Now I am looking for a different sound/playing style and needed a great humbucking/versatile guitar, so I jumped in with a CU24 Artist. I didn't see the need to waste my time with bad setups, inferior hardware, endless tweaking just to get it to half-way sound good. It took almost 9 months of waiting for my CU24 Artist (just arrived last week) and sure it was expensive, but it is quality and sounds and performs better than I expected (and I expect a lot out of gear when I pay for it). But I guess that is the way I would define value: does it perform, work, look, etc. like what you expect for the money paid. If it does, why waste the little precious time you have on earth worrying if you got a perfect "deal".

Do you have any cheaper instruments you think compare to, or surpass a more expensive guitar in quality?

Well said. I was just about to express much the same thought.

At the time I bought any of my guitars, I always felt I paid a fair price - not based on market, but on the value to me.
Some of my guitars have become special enough to me that I wouldn't sell them even if offered significantly more than what I originally paid. In most cases, I'm sure the market would not value them as highly as I do.

Do any of your guitars play or sound than one of your more expensive guitars?

Back