Guitars & Cars (random thought)

Deli6505

Rockin' the D!
I was listening to Yngwie Malmsteen's audiobook and in one of the chapters, he was comparing the Stratocaster to a Ferrari and went on about how he is so attracted to things that are of exquisite quality and craftsmanship such as Rolex watches and Ferraris and even described to put a Fender Stratocaster into the same category. Not to nit-pick and certainly everyone (including Yngwie) is entitled to his/her own opinion but I couldn't help but think to myself, "a PRS is certainly of higher quality and craftsmanship". Even an SE or an S2 is certainly miles above and beyond what the average guitar company is willing or able to produce especially these days. Carlos Santana perhaps said it best when he was quoted in a PRS advert in the late 80s as being "like a Maserati" and I would certainly have to agree with that statement. Heck, I've never even seen a Maserati in person let alone drive one but given the fact that they are only obtainable in my wildest of daydreams certainly commands a respect of impeccable taste and quality. I didn't really have much of a point to starting this thread other than to say that comparing a Strat to a Ferrari in terms of perfection and quality certainly makes me scratch my head in disbelief. If anything, I would classify a Strat more like a Chevy or Ford

I know I certainly am not alone in my appreciation, love and respect of all things PRS but what make of car would you say that the PRS guitar is like? I think Maserati or Ferrari sums it up pretty well but I was just curious what you folks think...

Good odds Malmsteen doesn’t get his Strats off the regular production line. I played one made by John Cruz and it was a really nice guitar. I would have brought it home if it hadn’t had some accidental pink stain on what was meant to be a white guitar. I could see him thinking it was like a Ferrari in how it was made.

In general, I find PRS much higher quality than a guitar off the line of one of the two bigger companies. If I was picking a car company to equate them to, I’d go with one of the luxury Germans, with Private Stock being an Audi RS.

A hand built guitar (with technology assistance on the parts) should be compared to a car company holding the same techniques. Honestly, here isn’t much in the mass produced automotive world that can afford human hands in the process like PRS, but Porsche used to be like that. Hand formed body panels, wiring harnesses, assembled drive train, etc., but even Porsche relies on automation a great deal today. You can still buy ultra high end super cars like that, like McLaren, Bugatti, certain Lamborghini models, Aston Martin, etc., but the price tags are super high...beyond PS high. But I’d probably go back to Porsche...stunning build perfection and technology in a daily-driveable beast. It ain’t cheap, but it is good for all seasons and looks damned good, to boot.

I’m pretty sure comparing guitars to cars is a slippery slope ending in absurdity.

“There are no slippery slopes, Les, that argument is a fallacy.”

“OK, then what would you call it?”

“I’d call it comparing apples to oranges.”

“Fine. What does comparing apples to oranges end up as?”

“It can’t be done, it’s absurd.”

“Isn’t that the same place the slippery slope ended in?”

“You understand nothing of fallacies.”

“That’s because I fell asleep when my philosophy class got around to defining fallacies.”

“How did you manage to get through college?”

“Same way I got through life: on good looks, snappy dressing, charm, and a trendy haircut.”

Last edited:
Having never driven anything higher end than my current used Mustang, I have nothing other than that to base an opinion on. In the same vein, I have never played anything higher end than my 2 used SE's. So there too is the basis of my opinion.

I love my SE's and my Mustang and believe them both to be high end instruments that bring me a great deal of pleasure.

I will spare you my opinion of Malmsteen.

I would lean toward BMW for the following reasons:

1. People who use the brands seem to be maligned by those who do not.
2. Those that use the brands don't understand why everyone else doesn't seem to 'get it'
3. The brands are both independent of other larger groups (VW Group owns Audi, Porsche, Bently, Lambo, etc. Fender owns Charvel, Jackson, Gretch)
4. Neither brand was the product of a state sponsored "People's Wagon" effort.

I would lean toward BMW for the following reasons:

1. People who use the brands seem to be maligned by those who do not.
2. Those that use the brands don't understand why everyone else doesn't seem to 'get it'
3. The brands are both independent of other larger groups (VW Group owns Audi, Porsche, Bently, Lambo, etc. Fender owns Charvel, Jackson, Gretch)
4. Neither brand was the product of a state sponsored "People's Wagon" effort.

In that light, you could compare it to Koenigsegg.

I have a couple Strats and a couple Gibsons. If we're going to compare guitars to cars then a Strat is definitely a Chev. And absolutely nothing wrong with that. I drive a Chev truck. Sturdy, reliable, fit for purpose with a fair bit of get-up-and-go. Gibsons (at least the Gibsons I have) probably the same, or maybe a little fancier. Maybe a Cadillac. PRS, I would put in the same bracket as a Range Rover. Glossy, supremely well built, all manner of pro quality etc etc. To be honest, I don't know what type of guitar would be a Ferrari. Some exotic handmade instrument that Pat Metheny might play. Dozens of strings in all different directions on all different angled necks sticking out this way and that. An archtop made from the last exotic hardwood tree in Borneo felled by a dozen virgins using machetes blessed by the ancient spirits of the sky. And etc. Bottom line, gimme a Chev and I'm good to go, OR, if I am really a good boy, gimme a Range Rover and I'll be happy forever!!! :)

Koenigsssseeeeegggggggg feels like a bit too exotic of a brand to me, kinda like the Teuffel of cars. Not only can you not get one, you don't ever see other people with them either. :D

Excellent reference to our favourite consumer motoring show of yesteryear. I'll concede to BMW but be specific to the M series.

If you look at each PRS line like it's own brand, you could compare it to VW group. SE is like VW. Seen as budget but secretly luxurious. S2 is like Audi. Still uses VW parts but also has its own parts with a better interior standard. Core is like Porsche, the everyday sports car with enough models to suit the needs of everyone without being completely prohibitively expensive. Private Stock is Bugatti. Limited production, higher attention to detail, legendary status among car fans, extreme attention to detail.

I wouldn't know where to begin....

I know how to tune a guitar. I haven't tuned an engine in 40 years.

Cars embrace new tech. Guitars are mired in the past. Cars have not been finished in nitro for 50 years, guitars still are.

Having worked on cars all my life, worked on them professionally, studied them, researched them, etc etc etc, I really don't know how to answer the question.

Cadillac standard of the world is a slogan that comes to mind.

If you want to compare them to a wildly, unattainably expensive luxury car brand, probably Rolls Royce or Bentley.

Pure Speed, power, handling, performance, corner carving, and braking: 254mph Bugatti Veyron Super Sports. I think it's still the fastest production car on Earth.

Ruggedness, toughness, dependability, versatility, able to take a beating and keep going: Chevy Silveraydo. DirtyMax diesel.

Back