Guitar Wall Hook/Hanger... what's your favorite?

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
I guess the rubber/foam on cheaper ones could even react with the finish?
Some may not even be secure enough.
Any horror stories?

I'm using Hercules. Safe for nitro, and locking. I had a String Swing that was starting to work its way out of the wall. Not the hangers fault. It was close enough to dropping out that I got nervous about the rest. I ended up pulling all of them down, patching holes, painting the room, and re-installing only in studs. Peace of mind....and the room looks better with some color than it did with 15 year old off white paint.

I use mostly String Swing hangers, screwed into studs.

I had been using some straight into drywall and they did fine, weren't coming loose at all, but I'm also not rough when seating a guitar onto a hanger.

However, my friend/bandmate bought me some hangers that are a different design - three mounting holes on a flat disk - that seem to be a slightly better solution for just drywall, and I'm using some of those. Mango Spot is the brand name available on Amazon. They seem to be pretty sturdy, although I will be monitoring for long term droop - unlike the string-swing design there is no added support from a cylindrical surround around the shaft. The String Swings also seem to have more threaded shaft engaged in the nut-sert in the wood, but the Mango brand looks to be enough - I think it would take about 50 lbs for the 1/4" or so of threading to fail.

I'm using Hercules. Safe for nitro, and locking. I had a String Swing that was starting to work its way out of the wall. Not the hangers fault. It was close enough to dropping out that I got nervous about the rest. I ended up pulling all of them down, patching holes, painting the room, and re-installing only in studs. Peace of mind....and the room looks better with some color than it did with 15 year old off white paint.

I use the Hercules as well - and I had the same experience with the String Swing.

I have mine in place using drywall anchors without issue. However, I am moving my gear room to a place I can close the door, so there won't be any more guitars on the wall.

Wifey gave me some String Swings last Xmas and they seem to work great so far. Screwed them into studs to be safe.

I had my nitro-necked T style on them a lot this year with no ill effects.

String Swing and Off-the-Wall hangars. Been using them for 20 years without a problem...

DIY. I bought tool hooks below $1 each when they were on sale. Bought pre-finished boards... and voila!

TV1gxky.jpg

9iyCqGc.jpg

Just added a bunch of String Swings myself. All in studs now, although I never had a problem when I had the doubleneck on wall anchors.

IMG_6980-X2.jpg

I have a vision of hanging mine on the wall, in their cases.

Hahaha! Because I'm that guy who'd do that.

yes!
Some sort of shelf rack that you can put the cases on.
"Look honey, this one is paisley, and this one is also paisley but it's black.
And this one..... "

"But these are just cases, where are the guitars"

"Why they're in their cases silly"

I would do that too.

I use the Hercules hangers, into the studs. 18 of them. In my tiny 1-bedroom apartment, just about every available space has a guitar, except one spot which features a poster of a guitar.

Moving into a 2-br soon, so probably going to go with some long pieces of wood into the studs, and then put the Hercules hangers in more strategic places, so that I can have all of the guitars relatively close together in one room.

... awesome info... I ended up getting the Hercules. I liked the closing feature.

Even though I'm not a wall hanger kinda guy, I thought these were very nice. The wall attachment is hidden, and the whole thing is pretty classy. Woods are beautiful; the hardware is powder coated machined aluminum with a leather covered rubber part that holds the guitar. The only caveat is that the leather covering on the hanger might not be great for nitro finishes.

I like their guitar stands, too. Very PRS-worthy.

http://www.takeastandinc.com/WallHanger.html

Well, the big move is coming up really fast. As all of these natural disasters have shown up, it got me thinking that we've not had a decent earthquake in California since 1994.

Then I got to thinking about hanging guitars on the wall, and wondering if they'd be better off in one of those 5-guitar stands on the floor. Would they stand a better chance?

"Stand." hehe

Back