Guitar theory and practice routines

For cryin' out loud Alnus, if you are going to put your middle finger in a chop saw, do it right! Soft tissue damage!! You could have done so much more!!! If your gonna do it, do it right!!!!

Still curious about why you would choose to do that, but to each his/her own!

In all seriousness, power to the recovery of all who have suffered play threatening situations. In 2014 I buggered up my left elbow quite bad in a car accident, and I did not know if I would ever play again! Luckily, recovery went great and although it is a bit unsightly, the elbow works just fine these days. Safe and sane people!

The laugh was for the first part of your reply. Call it abject stupidity! I was cutting a piece of beading for laminate floor and it disintegrated, causing my hand to go into the blade!

No permanent harm done, thankfully.

I put my left middle finger in a chop saw a couple of years ago, luckily with just some soft tissue damage. It meant no playing for about a month whilst I healed up.

It’s that gut wrenching moment where your hand is heading toward permanent damage.

Nothing like your injury, but worrying none the less.

Sorry to hear about the numbness, but good to know you have maintained movement and use.
I feel for you. I am so sorry this happened to you.This is really unfortunate that we sometimes take things for granted. My friend who is a professional player wears cotton gloves 24/7. He has a heavier day pair and a lighter night pair. He has his situation written on a card and if ppl ask he whips out his card and lets them read it.

I put my left middle finger in a chop saw a couple of years ago, luckily with just some soft tissue damage. It meant no playing for about a month whilst I healed up.

It’s that gut wrenching moment where your hand is heading toward permanent damage.

Nothing like your injury, but worrying none the less.

Sorry to hear about the numbness, but good to know you have maintained movement and use.
I know that feeling all too well. I bought a table saw years ago and the first main project I used it for resulted in me forgoing the textbook push piece for guiding the work piece through the saw blade and pushed it with my left thumb. The work piece jumped and I instinctively reached for it to get it back on track. I'll use the word "oops" but pretty sure we all know what issued forth from my vocal device. Still have the scar and some numbness but no serious damage. You'd think after all the years I ran a meatshop band saw I'd know better...

I know that feeling all too well. I bought a table saw years ago and the first main project I used it for resulted in me forgoing the textbook push piece for guiding the work piece through the saw blade and pushed it with my left thumb. The work piece jumped and I instinctively reached for it to get it back on track. I'll use the word "oops" but pretty sure we all know what issued forth from my vocal device. Still have the scar and some numbness but no serious damage. You'd think after all the years I ran a meatshop band saw I'd know better...

Ouch! Glad you’re ok.

As musicians we should really be more careful of our digits.

I’m religious about using a piece of scrap material as a “push piece” when using a table saw, for good reason.

Likewise with the router table, so easy to wipe out a finger or three if you’re not careful.

Be safe.

Last edited:
Late to the party, but...

A few years ago, we bought Kevlar gloves just to avoid cuts from a slipping knife or something stupid like that. When I was a kid, I had a knife that I sharpened like crazy. One day, I was trying to cut open a golf ball. Knife slipped, and I tapped the tip of my left middle finger. My first thought was, "that was lucky - I didn't hit it hard enough to cut it". Then I looked. Inside your finger can go further than you think. End up being between 1/4" and 3/8" deep, and cut through the nail as well. I thought for sure I needed stitches, but my dad taped it up tightly and it healed. 45 years or so have faded the scar, but the lesson has stuck with me. Mostly.

The first two minutes of this video have a stretch that Nita showed at a Q&A thing I attended a few years ago. I do this almost every time I pick up a guitar, and I can feel the difference in my hands when I don't do it. Highly recommend this.

I just wrapped up physical therapy on my left shoulder. I was having trouble reaching behind me, and my range of motion in general seemed to be deteriorating. The woman that did my therapy is a genius - she had it almost 60% fixed after one session. Even she seemed surprised at how much it improved because I've had shoulder issues for years, and she said they usually don't respond that quickly. I can really feel a difference now when I do that Nita stretch - it was always painful as the shoulder deteriorated, but now it's much looser when I stretch. Even better, I've gotten back some reach that I'd lost and chalked up to hand surgery. It was one of those "hey - I couldn't do this last week" moments. I was just playing a song and suddenly realized I could make that stretch. This stuff works, and it all ties together.

Late to the party, but...

A few years ago, we bought Kevlar gloves just to avoid cuts from a slipping knife or something stupid like that. When I was a kid, I had a knife that I sharpened like crazy. One day, I was trying to cut open a golf ball. Knife slipped, and I tapped the tip of my left middle finger. My first thought was, "that was lucky - I didn't hit it hard enough to cut it". Then I looked. Inside your finger can go further than you think. End up being between 1/4" and 3/8" deep, and cut through the nail as well. I thought for sure I needed stitches, but my dad taped it up tightly and it healed. 45 years or so have faded the scar, but the lesson has stuck with me. Mostly.

The first two minutes of this video have a stretch that Nita showed at a Q&A thing I attended a few years ago. I do this almost every time I pick up a guitar, and I can feel the difference in my hands when I don't do it. Highly recommend this.

I just wrapped up physical therapy on my left shoulder. I was having trouble reaching behind me, and my range of motion in general seemed to be deteriorating. The woman that did my therapy is a genius - she had it almost 60% fixed after one session. Even she seemed surprised at how much it improved because I've had shoulder issues for years, and she said they usually don't respond that quickly. I can really feel a difference now when I do that Nita stretch - it was always painful as the shoulder deteriorated, but now it's much looser when I stretch. Even better, I've gotten back some reach that I'd lost and chalked up to hand surgery. It was one of those "hey - I couldn't do this last week" moments. I was just playing a song and suddenly realized I could make that stretch. This stuff works, and it all ties together.
This was a great video. Thx.

I would add to that, whenever possible, do your warm up exercises on acoustic. Then it's easy to play the electric when you switch.
I have a brand new 12 string due here in a very short while (I'm going through withdrawal waiting for my SE HBII). I've spent a good deal of time back on the acoustics for the last couple weeks to see if that will help lessen the growing pains with the new beast. Never even held a 12 in my hands but I just couldn't resist the darn thing. I'm blaming Sophie Burrell for holding up her BF's beautiful (but string-less S12) and that's my story so I'm sticking to it...but at least it isn't another motorcycle so I didn't get yelled at by the War Dept.

There's lots of stories see, some of what you guys have been through is crazy to say the least.
It's obvious that not every way to practice is the right way, depending on everyone's situation. There are physical or health obstacles to over come, and those things are more valuable than wondering how to improve your practice regime. So kudos to you guys that are having to deal with those things and power to you in over-coming them.

On the actual practice topic and what to practice, what I find that works for me is what several have already commented on; there's practice to improve you technically and practice to improve you as a musician. To me, you have to have it clear which is which and which are you planning to work on. "Scales" are 1 thing, but they are NOT "music". Once you have that, stick to it and you'll see the improvement in both areas was you step away from your playing to view it at a distance. Many times, we're too close to it to actually see the benefit of our efforts.

Now, if you're a no super-serious player, just want to be able to play songs, get songs down for personal rehearsals and alike, then practice the songs. That's what your goal is so do that. If you want to improve yourself technically, then you have to approach those subjects at a different angle.
But every player should have a PLAN on what is going to be covered during "practice".

Technically, I do go through a standard routine that helps me keep a certain level of what I expect from myself to be able to play or attempt. This simply the mechanics and I feel more capable to take on other challenges knowing that I have some of these areas down. What helps me is to continue reviewing my modes in a few keys and then I'm off.

I'm starting over (Scales and all) with YT lessons from JUSTIN SANDERCOE in the UK. He's very good.

They are a beginner's tool, but I run through them once in a while.

Complete Color Coded Flash Cards for All Beginning Music Students Cards – July 1, 1996
by Alfred Music (Contributor)
Like, chord flash cards? That wasn’t a link.

Back