Guitar teacher?

Eddie kim

Should I invest in a guitar teacher? I’m getting to a point where I’m able to afford a guitar lessons. What do guys think? Any other suggestions?

as always thank.

Eddie

One of my friends does and it seems to be working for him. My students do and I see them progressing. I tried it and it didn't work for me. Might just not have had the right teacher or I'm just one who needs to work it out for myself. Point is, everybody's different.

Check out Artistworks.com. Lots of available genres - on-line video lessons, with personal feedback from the teacher. I'm doing Paul Gilbert's Rock Guitar School.

It depends on your end goal(s) and what you're trying to improve to get there. Sometimes I find understanding music (theory, aural skills, etc) allows me to discover and implement new and refreshing ideas.

Technique is where a guitar specific teacher really helps and if they're up on theory, can relate to your instrument more easily.

I have rarely, if ever, heard of a guitarist not benefiting from lessons at some point in their musical journey. Whether you can find the right one for you or not maybe a different matter and would depend on you and your end goal. It maybe possible to use some free online course (like JustinGuitar for example) if its theory that is lacking. Theory is generally the same and you can learn that online or from books. If its technique, or even if its setting you a schedule to practice and follow to improve and get you to the place you want to be. Even if you have a few lessons to help you on your way, try and break any bad habits you may have picked up to take you forward, its still beneficial.

Maybe a combination of a tutor for technique and practice schedules with an online or book based option to learn theory - using your instructor to perhaps explain things hat you don't quite understand about the theory.

Its never a bad idea too seek out a guitar teacher regardless of what stage you at and if you can, its most likely to be beneficial!

If you can afford it, do it.

Online videos can be helpful, but nothing can take the place of an instructor watching you, helping you make a correction, and being there to answer your questions directly. Period.

I think most people eventually get into a rut when it comes to jamming. (Especially me!)...I usually recommend signing up for a month of lessons...evaluate the teacher, and try another if you'd like...all musicians approaches are different, and it's good to hear different ideas...IMHO.

Any opportunity you get to learn from somebody with more knowledge or more experience is always a good thing.

If you can afford it, do it.

Online videos can be helpful, but nothing can take the place of an instructor watching you, helping you make a correction, and being there to answer your questions directly. Period.

Just an FYI for everyone. That is exactly what Artistworks does. You send in a video of your playing - either one of the lessons offered (from beginner to advanced), or a song you are working on, or whatever. Or ask a particular question about what you might be working on. The instructor watches it, and sends a video back to you dealing with your specific lesson/question.

What I have found most useful, however, is something that you can only get on-line. And that is that you can watch every other video lesson (both the student's and instructor's) sent in by every other student. I think i have learned more from watching and learning from questions and lessons by other students!

What are you using now?

I really think most people go to YouTube or one of the other on-line places (TrueFire, Guitar Tricks, Guitar Jamz, Blues Guitar Unleashed, Master Guitar Academy, etc.) primarily to save money. It is either that or they are in a location without access to a face to face teacher. I would bet that most, if they could afford it, would find face to face lessons beneficial.

If you are getting to the point that you can afford it, as you said, why not try it? If you don't feel it's working then try something like Artistworks as @walrus suggested. Or one of the other online places I listed. There are those and lots more. And, of course, SKYPE.

I am doing kind of a hybrid, not unlike Artistworks. I am using TrueFire lessons. But I am also taking private lessons with one of the instructors, Corey Congilio. We are not Skyping. We use his courses and as I go through it I send him a video. He reviews it and sends me a video response. We go back and forth until he is satisfied with my progress and then we go to the next lesson. That works great for me.

Last edited:
What are you using now?

I really think most people go to YouTube or one of the other on-line places (TrueFire, Guitar Tricks, Guitar Jamz, Blues Guitar Unleashed, Master Guitar Academy, etc.) primarily to save money. It is either that or they are in a location without access to a face to face teacher. I would bet that most, if they could afford it, would find face to face lessons beneficial.

If you are getting to the point that you can afford it, as you said, why not try it? If you don't feel it's working then try something like Artistworks as @walrus suggested. Or one of the other online places I listed. There are those and lots more. And, of course, SKYPE.

I am doing kind of a hybrid, not unlike Artistworks. I am using TrueFire lessons. But I am also taking private lessons with one of the instructors, Corey Congilio. We are not Skyping. We use his courses and as I go through it I send him a video. He reviews it and sends me a video response. We go back and forth until he is satisfied with my progress and then we go to the next lesson. That works great for me.

+1 on this. I go to private lessons AND work my way through the TruFire catalog.

I'm not 100% crazy about the way my lessons have gone (another Loooong post, if you really care to know I can tell you the good/bad about lessons), so I've considered changing over to TF lessons too.

Up until now I've just worked my way through one Learning Path (Rock, Jazz, Blues, Country, etc...), until I get to the point that the lessons are just BEYOND me, then switch to another path. I found there's a TON of foundational knowledge that translates back and forth. Plus, after working a second and third path for a bit, I could go back to the first and work even further through it.

I take it back, +10000 for the hybrid lessons!

While I never have taken guitar lessons and am unlikely to start, I do think it is a good use of your music budget.

I took music classes for a lot of other stuff and might take some piano lessons - the baby grand looks at me funny sometimes.

I've taken lessons several times. I think it would be great for you to take them. Unfortunately, I'm too slow to really benefit from it. The last time I took them, we would sometimes spend 3 lessons on the exact same subject because I just couldn't get it. So, I gave up, but I think they benefit most people. I just have to fool around on something on my own, and I usually get it eventually.

+1 on this. I go to private lessons AND work my way through the TruFire catalog.

I'm not 100% crazy about the way my lessons have gone (another Loooong post, if you really care to know I can tell you the good/bad about lessons), so I've considered changing over to TF lessons too.

Up until now I've just worked my way through one Learning Path (Rock, Jazz, Blues, Country, etc...), until I get to the point that the lessons are just BEYOND me, then switch to another path. I found there's a TON of foundational knowledge that translates back and forth. Plus, after working a second and third path for a bit, I could go back to the first and work even further through it.

I take it back, +10000 for the hybrid lessons!

I'm doing the same thing. I also keep my eye on Lick Library for anything that looks interesting. Plus I have a library full of books to wade through as well.

Sometimes I wonder if I've got too many things going at one time.

I'm doing the same thing. I also keep my eye on Lick Library for anything that looks interesting. Plus I have a library full of books to wade through as well.

Sometimes I wonder if I've got too many things going at one time.

Yeah, I can definitely get distracted to the point where it slows progress.

"Hmm, going to see Tommy Emmanuel in a few months, let's put the PRS down and pick up the Martin."
"This finger picking thing is cool, but growing nails sux... I'm learning something new"
"Man, I got robbed and didn't get to go, but Zac Brown Band is in a few weeks."
"ZBB was awesome, but I miss my PRS. Let's play some Stevie Ray Vaughn. I need to work on my blues. What the HECK??? How do you even hold a pick, and what's the minor pentatonic again?!?!?"
"Oh, new ZBB album, let's learn the songs. Wait, where did my nails go and when did my fingers get so dumb???"

Rinse, repeat.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that varying my practice methods will make for a more well rounded musical library, but it also keeps me from getting SUPER strong in any one genre.

Back