Guitar Styles&Genres that have the most in common with classical guitar ?!

Sepehr

Hey guys! First I'm sorry for my bad english
I am a classical guitar player for 4 years more or less , I just bought an electric guitar and i just cant find my genre! I mean i like some songs in each genre but not all of them , so i thought maybe i should start with a genre that has the most in common with classical guitar like the fingerpicking , the complexities in classical music , the tough chords , the epic&romantic tunes i get from classic pieces .. And I know its impossible to find a genre exact same as classical .. I just want ur opinion guys
(sometimes i regret why i bought an electric i mean its cool and enjoyable to play but the fact that i cant find my genre is really ennoying , and now i cant sell my electric for some reason)
My second question : is there anything called pop genre in guitar ?i mean is there someone that is called a pop guitar perfessional ?!! Isnt it too cheap ?
Tnx guys ❤

You can just play classical music on an electric guitar. It will have quite a different flavour than playing on nylon.

You can also take any popular song you like and play it in a more classical style, even just following the chord progressions and using the right hand in a classical manner.

I can’t think of a genre that is inherently classical.

To me the only guitar styles that are close to classical fingerpicking are Bossa Nova and advanced folk music or country fingerstyle picking. But that only refers to the right hand and not the compositions or fretboard work. For songs and arrangements I think big band jazz has the most in common but none of these styles are "Pop".

It sounds to me that you are too attached to your classical roots, if you've only been playing about 4 years it may seem like a long time but many here have been playing for decades. I've changed my core musical values twice during the 40 years I've played (R/B to Rock to Jazz) and although everybody doesn't make changes like that, they are easily possible.

Look at things with an open mind, using a pick instead of fingerstyle, improvising some blues, or just learning a few pop songs is not out of reach and won't destroy your classical technique unless you abandon it altogether. Just remember, it's a musical journey and you have a lot to gain from every type of music, don't be too attached to any one thing that may hold you back from exploring.

To me the only guitar styles that are close to classical fingerpicking are Bossa Nova and advanced folk music or country fingerstyle picking. But that only refers to the right hand and not the compositions or fretboard work. For songs and arrangements I think big band jazz has the most in common but none of these styles are "Pop".

It sounds to me that you are too attached to your classical roots, if you've only been playing about 4 years it may seem like a long time but many here have been playing for decades. I've changed my core musical values twice during the 40 years I've played (R/B to Rock to Jazz) and although everybody doesn't make changes like that, they are easily possible.

Look at things with an open mind, using a pick instead of fingerstyle, improvising some blues, or just learning a few pop songs is not out of reach and won't destroy your classical technique unless you abandon it altogether. Just remember, it's a musical journey and you have a lot to gain from every type of music, don't be too attached to any one thing that may hold you back from exploring.
Tnx man , i use that advice for sure ❤

Tnx man , i use that advice for sure ❤

You know, you may want to look at some Symphonic Metal bands. There are a lot out there. Enough for their own sub-genre. A lot of them are from Europe. Lots of classic influence in some of that. Hence, Symphonic! Anyway, here are a few to check out, that I am (somewhat) familiar with:

Adagio - France
Avantasia - Germany
Rhapsoday (now Rhapsody of Power) - Italy
Angra - Brazil
After Forever - Dutch
Ayreon - Dutch
Blind Guardian - Germany
Epica - Dutch
Kamelot - American
Luca Turilli (guitarist) - Italian
Symphony X - American

Then there is always the neo-classical rock god, Yngwie Malmsteen (Swedish)

Good luck!

There are classical-rooted players in many genres. Prog rock/metal and jazz fusion perhaps more so than others. Most people in the business talk in interviews about having been in band, orchestra, or choir in school, though perhaps not necessarily on guitar. I played classical music on flute, piccolo, and bassoon in high school. I learned classical piano for seven years along with my oldest. Never took a single classical guitar lesson, but I catch myself searching out melodies on my electric guitar from Bach inventions, Scarlatti fugues, Chopin etudes, you name it.

I suggest you think of the electric as an entirely different instrument. Its more like a sports car; sleek and fast, but restricted to roads.
Then you can simply pursue the genre you like best.

The biggest differences between electric & Spanish nylon are twofold. The guitars themselves and the applied techniques.

I play classical also. Many of those fingerstyle techniques cannot be used on a steel strung model. Even those you can use will need a clean sound on the electric. Any gain will destroy your clarity. Its why the metal players stick to single note/single string techniques 99% of the time.

Spanish acoustics have massively larger fingerboards. Electrics are tiny in comparison and a much shorter scale. You can do things impossible with classical. Such as learn to use vibrato on them. You can use bends for portamento effect.

I hope you learn to like your electric guitar.

Back