guitar string gauges

roadhog

i have a prs se singlecut and i want to change the strings. they have had 10 gauge strings up till now, but i want to go a gauge or two heavier. i know that my guitar will need to be re-set up if i change them to a significantly higher or lower gauge, but if its only up to 11 or 12 say, will anything need to be altered?

Yes, a full setup is in order even if you're just moving up one gauge. The truss rod, action and intonation will have to be adjusted, if you don't, your sound and playability will suffer greatly.

I gave my guitar a setup when I switched from the stock .010s to .011s. But I didn't need to widen the nut slots. Can't speak for .012s.

Yes, a full setup is in order even if you're just moving up one gauge. The truss rod, action and intonation will have to be adjusted, if you don't, your sound and playability will suffer greatly.

Ehh, I will moderate this in my response: a full set-up after any change to the guitar will result in the best possible situation (unless the set-up goes wrong), but I swap string gauges all the time from 9s to 10s or 10s to 11s or vice versa, and usually don't touch the intonation or action and never touch the truss rod.

Maybe I just live in the right climatic conditions, but I have never adjusted a truss rod since abusing my (Japanese/Korean/I dunno) Flying-V clone thirty years ago.

Or maybe I don't know what I'm missing!

Back