Guitar Straps fitting on PRS

Might wanna make a quick video, I was lost after "Step 1"

I guess I consider straps "disposable" (like jeans). You can get many many years of use out of them, but eventually they'll get replaced, so I just cut another 1/8" to 1/4" into the slit... Just enough to make it fit, without giving it too much play.

I've thought about strap locks, but I don't feel the need quite yet since the lone strap I own swaps pretty easily, and I'm not in a band playing gigs to where I'd need to do quick instrument swaps between songs.

Step 1: Picture in your mind an imaginary line through the center of the hole in the strap running from North to South or Top to Bottom. That line separates each half into Left & Right or Front & Back . (The direction of the line is important for the next step so I want to make sure I communicate it correctly. If you stretched out flat the entire strap onto the floor, you could draw one centerline through the middle of each strap hole and the centerline of the whole strap. That is the direction I am talking about.)

Step 2: Fold the strap in half at the first strap hole in line with the direction I mentioned above.

Step 3: Pick whichever half of the strap hole you want to start with (front half or back half) and seat it firmly into position against the strap button post, under the wide flared top of the button.

Step 4: Keep the first half of the strap hole seated properly with the second half of the strap hole folded in half like a taco on top of it. THEN, reach in between both halfs, grabbing the second half firmly and sliding it (upside down) firmly toward the far edge of the strap button (This will take a little effort but it gets easier with practice.) until it reaches just beyond the far side edge of the strap button.

Step 5: Unfold the second half of the strap hole material and falls right into place.

I'm sure this will make a lot more sense if I did it on a video.

This is precisely what I tried to describe, as it's the way I do a button on a shirt.

But I do cheat and make it a little easier by lengthening the slit.

Thank you all. I'm thinking will probably get gold Schaller locks to replace stock. It's not what I want to do, but just don't see a better solution. The straps I have and love don't fit well enough. By using the locks it will also make it easy to snap off and on.

I don't know if it's been suggested, but PRS may want to consider changing its stock design to an improved and perhaps innovative locking strap lock. Perhaps they can design one that allows a strap to go over it as normally is supposed to now, and also provide the owner with the option to use the locking mechanism. Seems to me that idea is in-line with its attention to detail.

Appreciate all the thoughtful feedback. You folks rock.

Zafu

Yep - Schallers on all of mine. Quick and easy. And you can use the original PRS screws with them.

FYI - once you get enough for your straps, you can get the guitar-side buttons from StewMac for nice and cheap.

Yep - Schallers on all of mine. Quick and easy. And you can use the original PRS screws with them.

FYI - once you get enough for your straps, you can get the guitar-side buttons from StewMac for nice and cheap.

I only see knobs to replace tuners. Is that what you meant?

I only see knobs to replace tuners. Is that what you meant?

These

Grover_Strap_Buttons_for_Strap_Locks.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Strap_Buttons/Grover_Strap_Buttons_for_Strap_Locks.html

I don't know why they're labeled as "Grover", unless Grover bought Schaller...

Reviving this thread just to say the PRS "Paisley" straps fit over the wide button perfectly - the leather is thinner at the ends!

Reviving this thread just to say the PRS "Paisley" straps fit over the wide button perfectly - the leather is thinner at the ends!

I have no problem with my Richter straps; I ordered them with a slightly longer 1” buttonhole, and they fit on easily, and stay nice and firm on the button; the leather is just the right thickness and it’s beautiful stuff, made in Germany.

I also use PRS straps that obviously fit, and they’re quite nice, though not up to the level of the more expensive Richter straps, they’re nicely made.

Heistercamp also makes a super-high quality strap in England, though their straps have to be ordered in their “super-soft” leather to fit, as the standard straps are literally too thick to fit under the button (I use them on my bass). They will also custom-make a 1” buttonhole for a PRS strap button. You could probably stand on your head, and jump on a trampoline, and the strap won’t come off.

I’m not a fan of straplocks. I’ve seen too many break, fail, or come undone from the strap, and actually be more dangerous to the guitar than the stock buttons. It’s happened with players in my own studio, and I’ve seen it on stages.

Maybe some industrial strength Velcro and a Velcro vest would solve the eternal strap problem... ;)

“You’d seriously stick industrial strength Velcro on the back of your PRSes, Les?”

“No. I was just BSing. The stock straps work well enough.”

While I have multiple straps, I have a custom-made one that I like to use on multiple guitars. While I think the PRS buttons make sense, I put Schallers on all my electrics. Switching a strap with an extended buttonhole from a PRS to a Les Paul is a recipe for disaster.

As mentioned above, recent PRS straps have been redesigned with thinner ends, to accomodate their strap buttons, (and the space between the button and body) ... and they are really nice.

Prs straps DO fit. I used Levi for years, but got tired of fighting it. The Prs ones are nice though. I got the suede ones and the paisley. The paisley was sooo ugly, I just had to have it. Lol

yeah not a fan of the PRS strap buttons, I mean strap frying pans

If you use thick leather straps like me it's impossible to get them on without modifying the strap

I repalce my buttons with allparts oversized ones. They're still fat, so the strap won't come off, but they're just the tiniest bit smaller so you can actually fit them on. While I'm there I add some felt washers, they work fine with the factory screws too. 2 minute job

I think this is the model, although I order mine locally https://www.allparts.com/AP-0684-010-Oversized-Chrome-Buttons_p_440.html

In a fit of extreme geekery, I bought a PRS croc strap years ago when I got my McCarty. It fits perfectly and always has, over the large buttons. Others, however are a challenge to get on and I just don't bother, besides, the croc strap is supple, nice looking and matches the guitar... Geekery I say!!...

Back