Guitar Stool

I actually asked my guitar teacher this exact question last week - what non-playing (i.e., not fretting or picking techniques) should I focus on, to improve my playing. He thought that posture is key, and it doesn't matter if using a stool or chair with a back - the most important thing is posture, and not to slouch over the guitar. He's a big proponent of concentrating on body position, strap height, breathing, standing while practicing, etc., and always cites Guthrie Govan as the model when it comes to the "whole body" approach to guitar playing.

No offense to your guitar teacher, but I’m guessing Guthrie Goven upside down, laying on the arm of a couch, slouching over a guitar, eating a burrito...still sounds 99.9% like Guthrie Goven. Maybe it has more of an effect on us mere mortals. :D

I got a swivel guitar stool for Christmas 2 years ago and love it. I'm hooked. My amps are on one side of the room, guitars on another, computer and AmpliFire on the third. If not for one mishap, I'd say it's been perfect. There was the one time I reached behind the Archon to flip it into half power mode, and "missed" when I went to sit back down. I felt into my NF3 which hit my 1x12 Recto cab and made a small tear in the tolex. 4 year old cab and that's the only mark on it... and I was just getting ready to list it for sale :rolleyes: Other than that, I love the stool.

I got a swivel guitar stool for Christmas 2 years ago and love it. I'm hooked. My amps are on one side of the room, guitars on another, computer and AmpliFire on the third. If not for one mishap, I'd say it's been perfect. There was the one time I reached behind the Archon to flip it into half power mode, and "missed" when I went to sit back down. I felt into my NF3 which hit my 1x12 Recto cab and made a small tear in the tolex. 4 year old cab and that's the only mark on it... and I was just getting ready to list it for sale :rolleyes: Other than that, I love the stool.

At your advanced age, you have to be careful. Falls are dangerous for elderly folks.

I’m thinking of getting an electric stage & studio scooter.

Last edited:
The only guitar stool I use is one of these

811ZEm6s%2BkL._SX355_.jpg

I like these the best...but they ain't cheap.

http://www.soundseat.com

It’s a nice product, but a very small company; I tried to buy one to use at my workstation last year, but it took them a couple of weeks to get back to me, and by then I’d given up and bought something else. For what you get, though, I think that the soundseat is actually a very good buy, and far less than a comparably high quality desk chair.

I wound up with a Knoll ergonomic chair with a leather seat, mesh back, and arms that can be lowered out of the way for use with guitar (or even removed). I really like it, but it was significantly more expensive than the soundseat.

It’s a nice product, but a very small company; I tried to buy one to use at my workstation last year, but it took them a couple of weeks to get back to me, and by then I’d given up and bought something else. For what you get, though, I think that the soundseat is actually a very good buy, and far less than a comparably high quality desk chair.

I wound up with a Knoll ergonomic chair with a leather seat, mesh back, and arms that can be lowered out of the way for use with guitar (or even removed). I really like it, but it was significantly more expensive than the soundseat.

Agreed...their business model is a bit inefficient (took about a week to get back to me)...but I wasn’t in any rush. And it does assure you get exactly what you want, which is important given the many options they have available.

Agreed...their business model is a bit inefficient (took about a week to get back to me)...but I wasn’t in any rush. And it does assure you get exactly what you want, which is important given the many options they have available.

Yup! I’d have bought one, and still may at some point.

I had a Herman Miller office chair...unfortunately, plaintiff #2 got it in the divorce...good times...

Back