guitar shortage

RDJ

I was chatting with the folks at PRS Maryland and was told that there is a 6 -8 month back order on all PRS guitars. I was told that the reason for this oddity was simply that demand is greatly exceeding supply. I guess everybody but me knows about this. it is probably most important for those people who are "pondering" a purchase. Don't wait too long or you will be waiting longer than you were anticipating.

Gibson has 12K stocked in the warehouse right now...;)

Last edited:
I'd like to know what the sales stats and backorder status is for S2's... every time I go to ogle them on sweetwater's site I can never find any in stock. Don't know if that's because they aren't ordering them, or if they're always sold out.

Whims of the economy perhaps. It could easily reverse in a recession.

I was chatting with the folks at PRS Maryland and was told that there is a 6 -8 month back order on all PRS guitars. I was told that the reason for this oddity was simply that demand is greatly exceeding supply. I guess everybody but me knows about this. it is probably most important for those people who are "pondering" a purchase. Don't wait too long or you will be waiting longer than you were anticipating.
Hi there RDJ, it's been awhile since this post was touched, but I'm curious to see if you have recieved your guitar yet as I have ordered mine one year ago and still have gotten little to no word about it's set arrival date due to "backorders." I am just curious to see what kind of progress has been made for people at all in the last year or so for them and their orders.

LtrEf2q.gif

I'd like to know what the sales stats and backorder status is for S2's... every time I go to ogle them on sweetwater's site I can never find any in stock. Don't know if that's because they aren't ordering them, or if they're always sold out.
I have a buddy who has been waiting close to 6 months for his SS from SW. My uneducated guess from far way is that they just totally underestimated the demand for the SS and this has impacted all of the production going on at the factory

That's insane. I've been drooling over the SS, so maybe I should just pull the trigger so I get it sometime before next winter.

Companies provide their products with either a push or pull method to their buyers. Push means they make the product and push it out to the buyers, regardless of orders. The Pull method involves making the product once you have an order. This creates a backlog, but is the most prudent and responsible way to run a company. The Push method requires more discipline and is susceptible to a host issues that can cause problems without good discipline. PRS uses the Pull method with ridiculous success. Gibson and Taylor use the Push method. We see how that works out. See post#2. Taylor has pis$#d of a lot of dealers with the push of latest and greatest new and improved models, making dealers stuck with what was once great, now perceived as old and lousy. Push method leaves alot to be desired. There is something to be said for waiting for a good product. It is a good problem to have. I hope the factory stays small and backordered as opposed to being on two sides of the continent with more inventory than buyers. Keep up the good disciplined work PRS. May you forever be backordered by one year!!! (Gives me more time to save) Giddy Up!

Companies provide their products with either a push or pull method to their buyers. Push means they make the product and push it out to the buyers, regardless of orders. The Pull method involves making the product once you have an order. This creates a backlog, but is the most prudent and responsible way to run a company. The Push method requires more discipline and is susceptible to a host issues that can cause problems without good discipline. PRS uses the Pull method with ridiculous success. Gibson and Taylor use the Push method. We see how that works out. See post#2. Taylor has pis$#d of a lot of dealers with the push of latest and greatest new and improved models, making dealers stuck with what was once great, now perceived as old and lousy. Push method leaves alot to be desired. There is something to be said for waiting for a good product. It is a good problem to have. I hope the factory stays small and backordered as opposed to being on two sides of the continent with more inventory than buyers. Keep up the good disciplined work PRS. May you forever be backordered by one year!!! (Gives me more time to save) Giddy Up!

With the SS, I totally understand your view. I would rather wait & get a well made guitar vs one with "start up" problems.

With respect to all the other PRS guitars, I would argue that a mix of both approaches might be best, depending on the demand for each model. I see no harm in building high volume models that have been in production for a number of years to a forecast. There are marketing folks out there that would tell you that if you don't have the product when an end customer wants it, they might decide to buy something else instead (or not buy at all).

The trick with the most recent version of the Sweetwater web site is this. When you use the shopping drill down to search for a new PRS which is currently "in stock", you look for the thumbnail photos which have a brick background. Those are the ones they have in stock. The sample photos which do not have any bricks, a plain background, are the ones which they can order but are currently out of stock.

Back