Guitar playing chair?

fgeorge097

Years of playing on a folding chair with poor posture is starting to give me back aches. Anybody use one of those chairs by On Stage or something similar that is designed for musician use, and what did you think of it?

I've heard of guitarist's chairs, but I'm old school. Back when I used to frequent guitar shops, they used either small barstools, or guitar barstools. I just use a really comfy Gibralter drum throne. Not the cheapest option, but it serves the purpose.

I just usually slide my computer chair away from my desk, position the drum throne, then plug in the guitar to my amp and toggle through my computer Music playlist for practice or jamming. I really don't sit back with the drum throne, because I'm focusing on my practice regimen. Everything else kind of takes a back seat as I strive to maintain my focus.

Granted, if my guitar chair were a highback cushioned no-arm rocker, I'd really have no place for it in my tiny apartment, unless I'd keep the chair in the bedroom as a seat for putting on socks or soaking my feet. I'd love to build a guitarist's chair, but my carpentry skills are lacking.

One forum member said he was doing exactly this project, a beautiful work of art that when complete will truly be a wonderful piece.

I have a nice comfy office chair w/foldable arms. Also bought what is essentially a desk stool, but it hasn't made to my recording area for lack of space.

I just slide forward on my recliner, feet flat on the floor, grab the guitar and make noise.

This became necessary after my wife moved my guitar stool to the kitchen (she had a foot injury so I didn’t complain) but discovered I like it...

I'm a drum stool guy, as well. The one upstairs has a back rest, the one in the basement does not. Before that, I was using a Gaming chair. It was a rocker, and I only sat about a foot off the floor. It was perfect, and comfortable. I got rid of it several years ago when the covering started to tear/crack. I tried two different gaming chairs this summer, but they weren't the same. Center of gravity put me either too far forward, or too far back.

I have a nice comfy office chair w/foldable arms.
That's what I have, so it doubles as my office chair with the arms down and guitar chair with the arms up. It was like $100 at Costco. I liked it so much I ordered one for my office at work to replace the late 90s green one that I had been using for decades.

MA Pete has some cool ones. A little taller, like a barstool, but with a back rest. Bar, and platform around the bottom for your feet. Super comfy, but like $800. I couldn’t find a pic, but know that he mentioned the brand, at some point.

I’m in the office chair camp, too. I have one that is air adjustable, without arms, and it swivels. It’s comfortable for hours, and I can turn easily to reach things. I’d like to add a couple more and get rid of the stationary seats and stools in the room now.

I’m in the office chair camp, too. I have one that is air adjustable, without arms, and it swivels. It’s comfortable for hours, and I can turn easily to reach things. I’d like to add a couple more and get rid of the stationary seats and stools in the room now.

Rick,

Does the office chair (no arms) serve additional purposes, other than guitar chair?

(I've a source for used office furniture that might replace my drum throne. Wondering if the $20 - 25 would be worth it...)

Rick,

Does the office chair (no arms) serve additional purposes, other than guitar chair?

(I've a source for used office furniture that might replace my drum throne. Wondering if the $20 - 25 would be worth it...)
Yes, it’s actually at the center of my music room “control center,” so I can face one way to look towards band mates at rehearsals (which take place in my music room), turn 180 degrees to face the computer for recording, from there turn left to face mixing consoles for mixdowns, or right to where my amp or Axe Fx rests. It’s a bit like Tim Pierce’s control center, just not as tall!

Maybe a simple footstool is all I really need, plus a plain old folding chair, to put my back into a more erect position?

Yes, it’s actually at the center of my music room “control center,” so I can face one way to look towards band mates at rehearsals (which take place in my music room), turn 180 degrees to face the computer for recording, from there turn left to face mixing consoles for mixdowns, or right to where my amp or Axe Fx rests. It’s a bit like Tim Pierce’s control center, just not as tall!

Nice! I've an office chair for computer use as well, but with arms that makes it more cumbersome when sitting at the desk with guitar. I may opt for such a chair as yours and do away with my drum throne, which doesn't support the back and feels a tad awkward when one leans forward to adjust controls. My nephew might accept the drum throne for keyboard use, and it might not cost too much for a used stenographers chair...will inquire of my sources and let you know how things go...

Back