Guitar playing chair?

I settled for the next best thing...a vintage banker's chair with adjustable height seat, firm tilt-back spring, rolling feet, and improvised cushion...works for both the dining room table and guitar chair...

This is one time FB Marketplace didn't disappoint...$35...

Sz9c74S.jpg

Very interested in this thread, thanks for all the contributions! I've always been a seated player, and lately my lower back has been killing me if I play for more than 30 mins. I've started playing lying back on a sofa, with my feet up on the coffee table, and that helps.

The thing I don't like about that is the fact that I've always thought I should play standing more, but never worked on it. The last thing I want to do is FURTHER add bad playing habits by leaning back with feet up, plus it's tough to play higher on the neck that way.

I was looking at the SW thrones as well, does anyone have one and think they're work the price?

OP here, i ended up going with a k&m footrest. Arrives tomorrow. German made, got good reviews. I find propping up my leg helps align my spine, which stops the uppee back pain from hunching

I just use an armless office chair. I can’t get it quite low enough to let me hold a guitar comfortably without a strap, so I often use a small footstool with it. Sure, it’s the height of the chair, not my bulbous body...

At some point I’ll likely get a stool with a footrest. That SoundSeat looks like a nice option. I have tried a DW drum throne, and felt a bit like I was driving a tractor from my grandfather’s farm.

I just ordered a SoundSeat a few weeks ago. Ordered it with two tone custom colors and my name embroidered on the seat. Also had the foot ring installed with the optional foot plate. They are not the cheapest but they are the best and as a bonus the people are a joy to work with. Highly recommended.

I just ordered a SoundSeat a few weeks ago. Ordered it with two tone custom colors and my name embroidered on the seat. Also had the foot ring installed with the optional foot plate. They are not the cheapest but they are the best and as a bonus the people are a joy to work with. Highly recommended.
I have had a Soundseat for years now! It is very durable and worth the $. I also have a foot stool for situations when I cannot use my sound seat. While my posture may not be the best, thankfully I am pain free. Anything you can to to stop leaning forward will help.

It looks very cool because black has always been in fashion. A true Batman fan should have a chair like this. As most people now spend more time at home due to restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, they are investing in better products to improve their working conditions. This includes better desks, lighting conditions, audio-visual peripherals, and coveted gaming chairs. I'm no exception, so I have a gaming chair pink at home. I will definitely order this bat chair too.

Last edited:
My daughter got me this Gator for Christmas. I like the height of it, and the guitar stand part of it is actually useful. I’m not sure if the back rest will actually help protect a bad back, but simply sitting helps.

I also have this, looked around for a while, great product for the price, and you can fold it and put it in the corner when not using it. Helps with those of us with back issues, I can now play for a long time, between standing and taking a break and sitting, recommend…

99% standing, 1% Barcelona.

I actively dislike sitting down while playing, but I have also been known to prop my backside on a convenient surface for a minute or two. If I'm playing one of my heavier guitars after carting some heavy amps (yes Boogies, looking at you....) taking a little weight off for a minute or so has usually done the trick.

The 1% constitutes the entirety of my acoustic playing: a Barcelona is untouchable for this IME.

I think I've posted about this before, but I discovered the Flex-One on another forum, then found a cheap version at Home Depot... and it's been great.

But then I sat in a MESH-One, and it's even better. They are both simple folding chairs, but offer butt comfort and back support. I finally found a place with the MESH-One back in stock, and got it about a week ago. I love it. The cool think about the MESH-One is the mesh is very... friction-y, you do not move on it... no "slowly slipping down" like with some other chairs.

Cheap version of the Flex One:

MESH-One:

Back