GUITAR PLAYER Demos Roland's Micro Cube GX

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
Hope it is OK to post this, he is using a PRS guitar.
PRS does not offer a small battery operated amp.

This was a hot weekend in my state, and I had my portable air-con running most of the time, so it was too noisy to play guitar inside.
I played them on my porch this weekend sitting in a chair, and jamming to my iPod running through a Creative speaker which sounded good, but alas no amp for the guitar.

Thinking about picking up one of these Rolands when they hit the market.
There are several videos out of this amp including Paul from Guitar World, and a few others.

I have a Pignose amp, but it is to clean sounding for my taste, as I like a very dirty high gain sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of the Cube Lite's at the Dallas guitar show. Great little amp for using the Cube Jam app to play backing trackings through the Cube Lite. Has three 'channels', clean, dirt, and metal or lead. Tiny. Great for travel or just moving from room to room in your house.

PRS-beerglass%20%28640x478%29.jpg

Here is a link to them on the Roland site. -LINK-

Cool, I saw the Cube Lite in another video where they demo a few of the new Cube line.
Now if they offer an Android app down the line, that would be nice.

Well bummer, my Sweetwater rep called me and said the ones you see in the vids are prototypes.
They are not due to hit here until September.

Fender has the Mustang Mini, but it uses 6 C cells, and it eats them fast he says.

Fender

Hope it is OK to post this, he is using a PRS guitar.

You bet.

You could also post how your Les Paul sounds with a PRS amp (as an example). It when we have posts about non-PRS guitars with non-PRS amps that things get uncomfortable.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;84239 said:
You bet.

You could also post how your Les Paul sounds with a PRS amp (as an example). It when we have posts about non-PRS guitars with non-PRS amps that things get uncomfortable.
Thanks Hans.
For now I am going to run an extension cord out to my porch and run this little puppy I bought last Christmas.
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1241
It has amp modeling, effects, built in jam tracks, able to plug in my Droid or an iPod to jam along with my music collection, etc, and record what you play.
And yep, will be running my 408 through it :D

I am going to keep the Cube on order though with Sweetwater, as they do not charge you until it ships, and it might be sooner than September he said.
Was looking forward to taking it to the mountains to jam with.
To bad the Roland JS10 does not run on batteries as an option, you have to plug it in.
I should check and see what it pulls for power, as I bet my Goal Zero Ranger 350 battery/inverter I use for camping would run it.

Another vid comparing the older Micro Cube with the newer GX one.
Called my local PRS dealer yesterday, as I noticed he had some Cube amps there when my son and I were there for Paul's Meet & Greet last Monday.
He said he would check when the GXs will be in, he may just get them before Sweetwater does.

It would be nice if they make an Android app too to control and record with this new amp.

PRS had a shindig at Neiman Marcus a few years back and brought some MEs and PS guitars with MicroCubes....based on playing those Cubes, I went out a bought one. They sound good, take pedals well, and are easy to take on trips!

548071_10151012728872412_611394359_n.jpg

Mike, glad to hear you like yours.

I think I am going to wait for the Cube, as it is half the $$$ of the Yamaha.
May not be able to mod it via PC like the Yamaha, but I hate messing around with PCs anyways when playing guitar.

My local dealer has some new Micro Cube GXs on order, should be in the end of July or early August, so I will cancel my order I placed the other day with Sweetwater.

I went for the Cube Lite because they had a small batch at the Dallas show at $50-$60 off the street price, special show pricing. They only had two left when I bought mine.

Well, after viewing the video below, I just bought this, and will have it Friday.
Still getting the Cube though, and one will go to my son for him to have.
Cube gets 20+ hours on batteries, Yamaha gets around 6 hours.
The Yamaha does sound very nice, everything from crunch, metal, and super high gain, depending on selection and how much gain you dial in.

I think I have seen those before on Amazon during a search.
Is this the one?
If so, it is listed on my URL below.

smokey_amp.png

Now lets go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back and see if anyone remembers this amp.
Scroll on down near the bottom here.
http://www.jedistar.com/travel_amplifiers_2.htm

zeus_amp.jpg

My dad bought that for me around '74 from a famous guitar shop in Burien, WA I think it was, and the name of the amp was Zeus.
Ran off a 9v battery, and it sounded like an overdriven Marshall through a small 2 or 3" speaker.
Randy Rhodes had a hand in its development.
It also had a preamp out jack, and I could plug into it and then it into my ultra clean Fender Bandmaster head and 2x12 cab, and get the same sound.

Around '81 I took the fiance over to a friends who had a nice PA system there and drums and all, and Randy Hansens (I know you know him JW) brother Glen Hansen played bass for us.
My '73 Les Paul deluxe sounded mean through that little Zeus and his PA.

I wish I still had that little Zeus, but alas got rid of it when I sold the LP around '86.

There is a famous guitar shop in Seattle where all the rock stars visit when they come to town, and the owner there I spoke to last year, and he remembers that little Zeus.
He has not had one come through his store in eons, or I would snag one up.
They were only produced for a very short time.

Yamaha THR 10X

WOW!
Good gosh this amp is nice.
It jest came about an hour ago and I loaded it up with 8 AA batteries and have not stopped jamming until a few minutes ago.

This being a high gain metal amp it can be clean too on the clean setting, and finger picking with the delay on sounds very cool.
The flanger effect is my favorite though, and the chorus and phaser also sound good.
The delay has a few settings, but probably the lushest effect of all is to crank the reverb all the way up.
The sound it emits will trick your ears into thinking you have stereo speakers several feet apart.

Now to the dirty channels, it has many of course if you have watched the videos.
All of the effects sound great with the dirty channels too.
The bassiest dirty channel is Brown 2, but I like the Southern dirty channel perhaps the best.
There is lots to explore on this new amp, I am glad I went with it.

I have the gain up about half way, and the master and main volumes half way too, and it is plenty loud.
If you crank them up and it can drive you out.
Also the bass, middle, and treble I have them at noon also.
Dime the treble adds too much IMO.

I am very pleased with this purchase.

My dealer has a batch of the Micro Cube GXs coming in tomorrow, will be picking up one Friday.
Here is another demo of it from one of the Iron Maidens.

I have a Micro Cube RX and it seems a real Swiss army knife amp. Tones are pretty good, a very 'big' sound from the four speakers, decent effects and a built in drum machine. Plug the iPod in and it's got great stereo sound. Biggest plus for me is it runs from the supplied Boss 9v adapter or 6 AA batteries, Roland recon 13 hours continuous on batteries at full tilt and I haven't changed them on mine yet. Perfect for the workshop, a dorm room or just chucking in the car if you are travelling.

Back