Guitar picks

I only get that from the acrylic stuff when the gain is up, my 'F' xh & gj are smooth as silk. Do yours have speed bevels? I go with std bevel and they don't click or chirp for me & my technique.

I also found over time that a looser grip on the pick effected my tone in a good way and gives me more pure tone and less clickityclack pick noise. Don't know the science behind that but I think my ears are perceiving it that way.

Good points. The one I use most often does have a speed bevel, and I really notice it with gain. It's not over bearing, or anything like that. I'll have to pay a little more attention the next time I use it, and also play some clean stuff to see if it's even there. Thanks T!

I only get that from the acrylic stuff when the gain is up, my 'F' xh & gj are smooth as silk. Do yours have speed bevels? I go with std bevel and they don't click or chirp for me & my technique.

I also found over time that a looser grip on the pick effected my tone in a good way and gives me more pure tone and less clickityclack pick noise. Don't know the science behind that but I think my ears are perceiving it that way.

The beauty of all this pick stuff is how individually applicable it is, and what an inexpensive and simple way it is to enhance your own ideas of tone and playing style.

I have no idea what pick chirp sounds like, I don’t think I’ve experienced it, but maybe it’s just something I never noticed?

Dunlop Jazz 205s 2mm. Small enough for good control, thick enough for blues/jazz tones.

n57w67l.jpg

If you can hear the difference between a good modeler and a tube amp, there's no way you'd miss the pick chirp. Even I can hear when I make it happen, and I do that a lot!

I hear ZZ Top a lot when you describe pick chirp. More accurately, it's the harmonics produced when you use the edge of the pick in conjunction with your thumb held closely to the pick tip, IIRC...

The beauty of all this pick stuff is how individually applicable it is, and what an inexpensive and simple way it is to enhance your own ideas of tone and playing style.

I have no idea what pick chirp sounds like, I don’t think I’ve experienced it, but maybe it’s just something I never noticed?

Judging from the answers here neither do I, but I thought I did. I've used it to describe the high extraneous noise when a touching the pick to a string. Stone picks do this, so I only use them for jazz (clean bassy tones). Its the sort of sound you get when touching a string with a bottleneck. So if I'm wrong wise me up fellers. hmm?

CandidPicker: Your description sounds a lot like what Rob Chapman calls pinch harmonics?!

Judging from the answers here neither do I, but I thought I did. I've used it to describe the high extraneous noise when a touching the pick to a string. Stone picks do this, so I only use them for jazz (clean bassy tones). Its the sort of sound you get when touching a string with a bottleneck. So if I'm wrong wise me up fellers. hmm?

CandidPicker: Your description sounds a lot like what Rob Chapman calls pinch harmonics?!

I find the primetone picks are often a bit clacky acoustically. Don't know if that's the kind of sound people mean?

Yep. ZZ Top uses them all the time.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

I hear ZZ Top a lot when you describe pick chirp. More accurately, it's the harmonics produced when you use the edge of the pick in conjunction with your thumb held closely to the pick tip, IIRC...

Those are pinch harmonics; I do that on purpose from time to time.

I thought everyone called them pinch harmonics? I thought it was a pretty standard technique. I use them a fair bit, though not to ZZ top amounts. I can do it with any pick on demand, so I don't think it's what people normally are referring to a chirp with a particular pick.

Dunlop Jazz 205s 2mm. Small enough for good control, thick enough for blues/jazz tones.

n57w67l.jpg
Wow! That's shredder pick! I didnt figure you fur a 205 user!!!

I can fly with one of those. One of my favorites. Lots of speed. As fast as you can be, but no chirp.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the most part I play with my fingers, but I do like the purple Jazz III in lead situations. The articulation is really good to my ears.

n57w67l.jpg

I lived on the 208 for years, at the time it was the best tone & playability I had found. Afterwards I went on a boutique pick odyssey that lead me all over the place, and it showed me what's out there and how good a pick can be.

I encourage you to do the same and explore the options out there, I think you may thank me for this, ........... and you may hate me too.

Back