Guitar Picks

Shizzrock

Something I feel is underrepresented when it comes to tone is guitar pick choice. Just throwing this out there to get a feel for peeps preferred plectrums because we will swap a magnet out of a pickup, but changing a pick will drastically alter the sound. I've been using gator grip, recently downsized from 1.5 to like a .96 I think.

I agree. After going through many brands and gauges of picks, I am using Dunlop Ultex .6 gauge.

There have been quite a few threads on picks here, actually. In the main, everyone's seemingly agreed on how they affect one's tone, speed, and precision.

I use the Blue Chip Jazz 35, 40, and 50s (in the Jazz III size) with my electrics, and the Blue Chip teardrop picks in 35 thickness, and Jazz LG 40s with my acoustic. The LGs are a bit larger, but still pointed. I like the points for more precise picking, and the more typical TDs for strumming.

There have been quite a few threads on picks here, actually. In the main, everyone's seemingly agreed on how they affect one's tone, speed, and precision.

I use the Blue Chip Jazz 35, 40, and 50s (in the Jazz III size) with my electrics, and the Blue Chip teardrop picks in 35 thickness, and Jazz LG 40s with my acoustic. The LGs are a bit larger, but still pointed. I like the points for more precise picking, and the more typical TDs for strumming.

Those look awesome, so they don't wear out like a traditional pick?

I've been rotating between a Blue Chip Jazz 35 and a Red Bear Classic. Love them both. They'll last for years (or decades).

Something I feel is underrepresented when it comes to tone is guitar pick choice. Just throwing this out there to get a feel for peeps preferred plectrums because we will swap a magnet out of a pickup, but changing a pick will drastically alter the sound. I've been using gator grip, recently downsized from 1.5 to like a .96 I think.

Hi,

I like bright tones so I am typically drawn to Delrin, Tortex, and the like in less than 1.0.

On bright guitars, I use Blue Chips STP or a custom cross between their STP and their Jazz. I use the 35 and 40 thicknesses. I love the way the Blue Chips feel. They are without a doubt the best feeling pick I've ever tried but they are expensive so I'm always worried that I will misplace them. Whatever that super secret material is it sure is durable...

My other favorite are the custom picks that I ordered online. I forgot the company name but I will look in my files. I think they are made of Delrin or something but they sound just like Dunlop Tortex to me. I got them in a Jazz XL size, in black, .89, with my own logo. And they were cheap too. I've got about 200 of them since they were so cheap.

In a pinch, if buying a pick from a store, I will get some Dunlop Primetones .88 in Jazz XL. In a serious pinch, the more widely available yellow Tortex (.73) will work out just fine.

Over the last year or so I've been using a Mummy V-Pick; really enjoy the feel and tonal impacts of using this thicker pick with a ghost rim (frosted / slightly textured).

I use Dunlop Tortex 1.0 and there are a few reasons why;

• The rubbery texture provides just enough grip while still feeling slick
  • The pick is large enough that I can strum aggressively but then also "choke" up on it for lead work and pinch harmonics
  • The rigidity of it is perfect for my sense of dynamics and personal touch
Everything about guitar is your unique touch. Your pick is an extension of your hand and everyone's requirements for their sense of dynamics is different.

Last edited:
Those look awesome, so they don't wear out like a traditional pick?

I've had some for 4 years and they're like new, no wear -- I literally can't tell between the ones I got a couple of months ago and what I got 4 years ago -- but that's not the main reason why I like them!

The main reason is that they glide through the strings very fast, with less friction. So the pick is less likely to get hung up while picking. I can pick a little faster. It's noticeable when I use one of my tortex jazz IIIs; it feels slower.

They also sound like real tortoise shell, or at least what I remember tortoise sounding like. I really like the tone I get with them.

Some folks say the grip is naturally tacky, and less likely to slip; that may be true, they don't seem to rotate while I play like other picks, yet they aren't sticky feeling.

They also don't turn into potato chips like the artificial tortoise made from natural material if you forget and leave one in your jeans and they get washed.

Yeah, absolutely. A friend of mine demonstrated it, by swapping from a thick, rigid pick to a thinner, more flexible one, and then switching to a Primetone. All three sounded completely different. I expressed my surprise. He said, "physics".

Oh yeah...I guess that makes sense.

Dunlop Eric Johnson Jazz III. Love the way they handle and the red color makes them easier spot after I inevitably drop and leave them all over the place

I've had some for 4 years and they're like new, no wear -- I literally can't tell between the ones I got a couple of months ago and what I got 4 years ago -- but that's not the main reason why I like them!

The main reason is that they glide through the strings very fast, with less friction. So the pick is less likely to get hung up while picking. I can pick a little faster. It's noticeable when I use one of my tortex jazz IIIs; it feels slower.

They also sound like real tortoise shell, or at least what I remember tortoise sounding like. I really like the tone I get with them.

Some folks say the grip is naturally tacky, and less likely to slip; that may be true, they don't seem to rotate while I play like other picks, yet they aren't sticky feeling.

They also don't turn into potato chips like the artificial tortoise made from natural material if you forget and leave one in your jeans and they get washed.

Well I've got a TD 40 on the way so thanks for the info.

Dunlop Nylon Max Grip .88 usually. Dunlop Eric Johnson Jazz III when I feel the need for speed.

I use the Bluechip TD60? (1.5mm) with acoustics almost exclusively and on electric I go between the Dunlop Primetone Grip 1.5mm, the Ultex Sharp 2mm and the Gator Grip 2mm. All teardrops.

I really like Bluechip, Winspear and the Gravity Golds. Really digging the Gravity golds at the moment, but they're all quite nice.

I've used Tortex yellows for yonks. I have been using the Tortex Purples occasionally, especially for acoustic, and I have some thinner picks, same thickness as the tortex reds I think, but in regular (slicker feeling) material, that my wife got me (personalized with initials) that work very well on Mandolin and Banjo.

I tried out a few of the V-picks, and really liked them, but I like to keep picks in the strings of a guitar near the headstock, and those V-picks are too thick, plus they are too expensive to have a dozen of them bouncing around. Plus I find that I never remember to get them out when gigging, so I wasn't using them enough to make them a regular tool.

I should try them again, figure out which one I really like and buy half-a-dozen or something so that they are the "only" pick laying about.

But now Les has my interest piqued in the Blue Chip picks...

EDIT: Hmm, now I remember why I didn't investigate Blue Chip picks further: $35 and up, each. Yikes!

Last edited:
I use:

Dunlop Tortex 1mm
James Hetfield Ultex 0.94mm and 1.14mm
Dunlop Delrin 1.14mm
John Petrucci Jazz iii
Dunlop Nylon 1mm

It really depends how I feel on which one I decide to use and I'm always up for trying different ones, My cat however loves the Delrin ones she's always eating them, mind you her teeth marks have improved the grip on a few of them.

Back