guitar output dropping intermittently

Jak

Have noticed a problem with my PRS custom 22 in the past couple weeks. When playing, sometimes the output from my guitar will drop completely, my audio interface shows no input signal and no sound coming from guitar. This happens suddenly, no preceding crackling or anything and it happens pretty randomly, maybe 2-3 times a day. When this happens, wiggling the guitar cable in the guitar output jack will stop the problem and the sound will come back. Also have tried same rig with another guitar and no problems so I think its something with the custom 22 electronics.

Is this a problem with the output jack itself gone bad or maybe the wiring to the output jack? I thought a bad output jack would cause some crackling or not work at all so strange why my guitar either has a good signal or no signal at all.

Hi Jak, yes it sounds like the... jack!:)

Pull the jack out and squeeze the two connectors together, so that the plug will make a tighter contact and try that out for a while.

While you have the jack out, make sure the ground wire isn't touching the clip. Also make sure you reinstall the plug straight in (don't let it twist) and hold on to it from the inside when tightening the outer nut.

Obvious thing first; try a different cable. If you still have the problem, proceed as above! Dave and Wakester are on the money.

I hate it when my guitar jack’s off.

(Like there weren’t 100 of you wanting to make that joke!)

The guys above are correct - the jack probably just needs a little tightening. I believe there’s a tool available that will do that without removing the jack, but it’s probably not worth buying for as rarely as most of us do this.

Back