Guitar jack noise

RedGuitars

Thread killer
Took the new to me gold top McTrem to a neighborhood jam on the day I received it. Had to come back home for my Silver Sky because the McTrem guitar jack would occasionally make a horribly loud squawling noise. I just removed the jack plate and back plate. But there is not enough wire to pull the jack beyond the end of the guitar body to eyeball the solder on the jack? Should I just buy a new jack and find a tech to install it? Thanks.

I wouldn’t. Desolder the jack from the harness, loosen it from the jackplate and orient so the tip contact (not solder lug) is toward the back strap button. Tighten. While out of the guitar, plug a cable in and check for proper continuity. Resolder and assemble. Easy-peasy!

Heck, if you were close, I’d just say, “bring it on over!”

First, I check for a short, full or partial (get *some* resistance reading instead of infinity). Using the cable you attached, put one lead on the lug and other in the cable. Then, resolder, select one pickup, take a reading directly at the end of the pickup leads, then re-measure at the output jack/cable. They should be very similar.

Before breaking out soldering irons, get a .25 caliber rifle brush and ensure you have a clean connection inside the output jack. I have 'fixed' more than one guitar with this trick.

Hoppes-Phosphor-Bronze-Bore-Brush-44-45-Cal-1315P.jpg

Back