Guitar display/stand or in case?

Ultimately, it’s about where you are in life, the household aesthetic, and the level of perceived safety you want for your guitars.

I litter mine about the house because I’m at war.
Good point. Stay safe

I keep my best and more expensive guitars in their cases and the less valuable ones hanging on the wall. I keep them on the wall in part to save space and in part for decoration, since I love having cool guitars in sight at all times. They look good and make me want to play.

There is a noticeable difference in how much maintanance they require. The ones in cases basically never need anything. And actually, they are the ones I play the most.

At my lab if a guitar is in the case/bag it doesn't get played cos I forget its there.

That said I have 4 hangers and rotate the guitars that are out so eventually they all get played after a year or so, and spend most of the time in storage. Sometimes after de-casing one will its time to go and it'll be culled.

So have a couple hangers for the players and store the rest. That's my $.02

I keep my best and more expensive guitars in their cases and the less valuable ones hanging on the wall. I keep them on the wall in part to save space and in part for decoration, since I love having cool guitars in sight at all times. They look good and make me want to play.

There is a noticeable difference in how much maintanance they require. The ones in cases basically never need anything. And actually, they are the ones I play the most.
Good point on the maintenance. Someone else mentioned that as well.

At my lab if a guitar is in the case/bag it doesn't get played cos I forget its there.

That said I have 4 hangers and rotate the guitars that are out so eventually they all get played after a year or so, and spend most of the time in storage. Sometimes after de-casing one will its time to go and it'll be culled.

So have a couple hangers for the players and store the rest. That's my $.02
Hmm, I like compromise.

Safest place is always going to be the case, unless it’s one of those G-brand cases that turn your binding pink. Most all of the dings on my guitars were put there by me, while playing them... the reason they were purchased. I’m not trying to protect them from their nemesis because he is, apparently, me.

I do keep the acoustics cased with humidity controllers, as I have also gleaned the wisdom of Mr Taylor on such things. It matters on those. My electrics are mostly hanging on the wall in my music room. And that’s a big point in my world. I have a dedicated space, so there’s no human or pet danger there, except the aforementioned “nemesis.”

I don’t deny there are airborne contaminants, or that the case might keep them in more pristine shape. I used to keep all of them that way. But walking in there and seeing a dozen or more guitars and basses out and ready to go, along with an equal number of amps with cables at the ready, is good for my soul. It makes me feel good. And that offsets any oxidation or the need to clean them more often. So I keep most of them out. That’s just me.

Safest place is always going to be the case, unless it’s one of those G-brand cases that turn your binding pink. Most all of the dings on my guitars were put there by me, while playing them... the reason they were purchased. I’m not trying to protect them from their nemesis because he is, apparently, me.

I do keep the acoustics cased with humidity controllers, as I have also gleaned the wisdom of Mr Taylor on such things. It matters on those. My electrics are mostly hanging on the wall in my music room. And that’s a big point in my world. I have a dedicated space, so there’s no human or pet danger there, except the aforementioned “nemesis.”

I don’t deny there are airborne contaminants, or that the case might keep them in more pristine shape. I used to keep all of them that way. But walking in there and seeing a dozen or more guitars and basses out and ready to go, along with an equal number of amps with cables at the ready, is good for my soul. It makes me feel good. And that offsets any oxidation or the need to clean them more often. So I keep most of them out. That’s just me.
Good points. Gives me more food for thought.

So...here's my one little thing that bugs me about putting core PRSi into their cases - you have to take the strap off. And the strap buttons often hold my straps on really, really well. (Which is the idea, after all.)

I do not look forward to the struggle of removing the straps, and the usually larger struggle of getting them back on.

Some straps are easy on/off. But not most of my core PRSi. And each guitar has it's own strap, because I like to color/style match.

But maybe that's the solution - find a few straps that go on easily enough (but still feel secure), and retire the rest?

But I do like having guitars on display, both for the eye candy and the inspiration - I can grab one pseudo-randomly as I walk past to jam with in the upstairs music room. "Ah yes, let's grab the McCarty soapie with brazzy FB this time! Last time it was the SE SVN."

If most/all were in cases, I'd have to go think about it, and retrieve my selection from the case-closet. And then I'd just be lazy and instead grab whatever was handy - if something already out, I'd play that, if nothing out, I'd grab whatever was in my gig bag from the last gig/practice - because that tends to be the same guitar for long periods of time. And that's not very much variety as a result!

I love having mine out on a stand. Unfortunately I can't keep the humidity in my office regulated to my satisfaction so I went back to keeping them in their cases. So instead of a nice pretty rack display I have cases laying all over my floor because putting them back in the closed means they are too far away.

So...here's my one little thing that bugs me about putting core PRSi into their cases - you have to take the strap off. And the strap buttons often hold my straps on really, really well. (Which is the idea, after all.)

I do not look forward to the struggle of removing the straps, and the usually larger struggle of getting them back on.

Some straps are easy on/off. But not most of my core PRSi. And each guitar has it's own strap, because I like to color/style match.

But maybe that's the solution - find a few straps that go on easily enough (but still feel secure), and retire the rest?

But I do like having guitars on display, both for the eye candy and the inspiration - I can grab one pseudo-randomly as I walk past to jam with in the upstairs music room. "Ah yes, let's grab the McCarty soapie with brazzy FB this time! Last time it was the SE SVN."

If most/all were in cases, I'd have to go think about it, and retrieve my selection from the case-closet. And then I'd just be lazy and instead grab whatever was handy - if something already out, I'd play that, if nothing out, I'd grab whatever was in my gig bag from the last gig/practice - because that tends to be the same guitar for long periods of time. And that's not very much variety as a result!
Currently I have one guitar out that I’m playing and I will rotate every few days. I have strap locks on all my guitars and use the same strap for all of them.

Reactions: jxe
I love having mine out on a stand. Unfortunately I can't keep the humidity in my office regulated to my satisfaction so I went back to keeping them in their cases. So instead of a nice pretty rack display I have cases laying all over my floor because putting them back in the closed means they are too far away.
I have all mine in cases in a string swing case stand. So it gives me more room and it feels more organized.

I leave my guitars in the case acoustics and electrics. I have one stand setup for the one I'm using the most at the time, but put it away when finished. I agree with with Les on this subject. Keep dust, dings and crap away from my guitars.

I leave my guitars in the case acoustics and electrics. I have one stand setup for the one I'm using the most at the time, but put it away when finished. I agree with with Les on this subject. Keep dust, dings and crap away from my guitars.
Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m doing currently. I may just continue that process.

Back