Guitar display/stand or in case?

gemyneye

So many guitars, not enough time
Good day,
Ok, so, I have struggled with this for a while. I have 2 acoustics (McPherson MG 3.5 and 1976 Martin D35S) that I keep in their cases ALL the time and only take them out when I play them, I make sure the hydration is right, although having to check on them is a bit of a pain and have looked at the bluetooth monitors, I've just stuck with the gauges in the cases.
But I have also keep all my electrics (1976 Gibson ES-335, 2007 CE22, 2018 McCarty 594, 2021 Silver Sky, 2020 CU24, 2020 McCarty 594 (HB), 2021 Fiore, 277, 2022 Studio, 2021 CE24) in their cases. I will take one guitar out at a time and hang it on the guitar stand and it will be the one I play until I switch it out. Now I do not have a separate control for my music room and it stays around 73-78 in the summer with 37-42% humidity, and 70-73 and 30-35% humidity in the winter. In the winter, it will sometimes get down to the high 20's %.
What I'm considering is whether to get a stringswing floor rack (hanging them on the wall isn't an option in my room), but I don't know if that will affect the guitars and how worried I even have to be with that. I would love to be able to grab any guitar at any moment and play. It's the beauty of my collection is every time I pick it up, I fall in love with it again and again. Even my CE22 that I've had for 14 years.
Any recommendations? Am I overly concerned with keeping them in their cases? I do apologize if this has been posted elsewhere and I did research and ended up more confused than informed.
Thanks!

I’m in the Chicago area, and mine are all hanging. I know that’s not an option, I just meant that they’re all out of their cases. In your case, I’d keep the acoustics just like you do it now, and get that floor stand for the electrics. Your summer numbers don’t seem too bad, but I’d suggest a room humidifier for the winter. I run a dehumidifier in the summer here and can maintain levels of 50% to as low as 45%. The humidifier in the winter keeps it about the same, and it’s about 500 square feet. Sometimes it dips to the low 40s. In our bedroom I run the same type of humidifier and it’s consistently above 55%

Yeah, I'm all about keeping them cased to buffer humidity and temperature, to keep the gunk off, and to keep dings and dents at a minimum.

I could go on and on, but in deference to jxe I won't say too much. I hope. Bob Taylor has written extensively on the subject, and he's right.

There are good guitar care reasons to keep guitars cased. There are no good guitar care reasons to keep them out.

That doesn't mean that there aren't other reasons people want to leave them out, but if you're fussy about your guitars, and you don't like taking them for seasonal or yearly setups, and you don't want dust in the pots, and accumulated cooking oils and stuff that floats around a house gumming them up, keep them cased.

I haven't needed a setup on any of my guitars, and some are 8 or 9 years old. They're cased. The electrics have a single D'Addario humidipak in the case year-round, the acoustic has 3. The humidipaks absorb or release moisture to keep the RH in the case at 45-50%.

Orchestral players who have antique instruments they mortgage their houses to get case them when not in use. There's a reason.

Yeah, I'm all about keeping them cased to buffer humidity and temperature, to keep the gunk off, and to keep dings and dents at a minimum.

I could go on and on, but in deference to jxe I won't say too much. I hope. Bob Taylor has written extensively on the subject, and he's right.

There are good guitar care reasons to keep guitars cased. There are no good guitar care reasons to keep them out.

That doesn't mean that there aren't other reasons people want to leave them out, but if you're fussy about your guitars, and you don't like taking them for seasonal or yearly setups, and you don't want dust in the pots, and accumulated cooking oils and stuff that floats around a house gumming them up, keep them cased.

I haven't needed a setup on any of my guitars, and some are 8 or 9 years old. They're cased. The electrics have a single D'Addario humidipak in the case year-round, the acoustic has 3. The humidipaks absorb or release moisture to keep the RH in the case at 45-50%.

Orchestral players who have antique instruments they mortgage their houses to get case them when not in use. There's a reason.
do go on, i like reading your case treatises and agree 100%. except for fenders which don’t look right until the paint is chipped up.

Thank you for your replies! I have been leaning towards keeping them in their cases. I mean, it really only takes less then a minute to take it out. And I do the same with my workout equipment. I go back and forth on the protection thing. On the one hand I think, "this thing was made to be played, and a worn vintage instrument is sought after", and I also think "I want to keep them, especially my 10 top, pristine". And I suppose, every time I open a case, it could be like NGD! And I would have to find a place to store my cases lol.

You go into a music store, and guess what, all the guitars are hanging on the walls. Mine are all on the wall and out of direct sunlight. Only filtered light hits them. Been like this for years without a problem. Keep them in the case, and you won't play them as often. Put them in the rack.

You go into a music store, and guess what, all the guitars are hanging on the walls. Mine are all on the wall and out of direct sunlight. Only filtered light hits them. Been like this for years without a problem. Keep them in the case, and you won't play them as often. Put them in the rack.
Valid point

Good day,
Ok, so, I have struggled with this for a while. I have 2 acoustics (McPherson MG 3.5 and 1976 Martin D35S) that I keep in their cases ALL the time and only take them out when I play them, I make sure the hydration is right, although having to check on them is a bit of a pain and have looked at the bluetooth monitors, I've just stuck with the gauges in the cases.
But I have also keep all my electrics (1976 Gibson ES-335, 2007 CE22, 2018 McCarty 594, 2021 Silver Sky, 2020 CU24, 2020 McCarty 594 (HB), 2021 Fiore, 277, 2022 Studio, 2021 CE24) in their cases. I will take one guitar out at a time and hang it on the guitar stand and it will be the one I play until I switch it out. Now I do not have a separate control for my music room and it stays around 73-78 in the summer with 37-42% humidity, and 70-73 and 30-35% humidity in the winter. In the winter, it will sometimes get down to the high 20's %.
What I'm considering is whether to get a stringswing floor rack (hanging them on the wall isn't an option in my room), but I don't know if that will affect the guitars and how worried I even have to be with that. I would love to be able to grab any guitar at any moment and play. It's the beauty of my collection is every time I pick it up, I fall in love with it again and again. Even my CE22 that I've had for 14 years.
Any recommendations? Am I overly concerned with keeping them in their cases? I do apologize if this has been posted elsewhere and I did research and ended up more confused than informed.
Thanks!
Nice Bunch of guitars

Back