Guitar Case Cabinet

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
There is a thread on the official Gibson forum where a thread was started on how do you store your guitar cases.
One guy had a nice cabinet that would hold the cases horizontally and have a lid on top that opened up to four compartments to hold accessories.
That one caught my eye, and I did some inquiring with a few local shops that never got back to me, and I had asked my PRS dealer if he knew anyone that could make one, and he recommended Forbes Furniture in Kent, WA.

I gave them a call, and he said more than likely they could, and for me to send him a few pictures and dimensions.
A few months later and I now have the cabinet in my home, they delivered it today.
Very happy with the way it turned out.
The four compartments on top are HUGE.
Plenty of room for all of my stuff.

I took plenty of pictures, and a few show inside of the compartments.
I have never seen this type of lid closing hinge before, the shop mentioned it is a pretty new design, and I uploaded a video to YouTube showing how it lowers the lid nice and slowly.

Specs:
3/4" birch
Mahogany oil base wood stain
Water base sanding sealer
Enduro clear Poly a self crosslinking polyurethane
Above products are from General Finishes

This is an ideal way to get my cases up off of the floor, and a great way for organizing accessories such as polish, cloths, strings, pics, extra cords, etc.

I have a PRS 408 MT on order, it should not be to much longer until my dealer gets it in.
It will be the most expensive guitar I have purchased to date.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great looking cabinet -- I showed it to my wife, and picky as she is, she thought it was really cool, too!

Thanks guy's.

It is a little big for my place, I do plan on moving someday to a bigger place.
Had to move my end table out some too.
The cabinet was originally going to be 42" wide inside to accommodate the PRS cases, but when I got the longer SKB case for the SE Tremonti Custom, I needed them to alter it to be 46" wide inside.
I even got rid of an old longer sofa and picked up the shorter love seat awhile back, but it is still crowded there.

Mike, yes, I ordered my FJ back in spring of 2006, and took delivery July of that year.
It has been a great rig, and it is totally setup to be self contained for camping.
I have solar to charge up the batteries as I run an ARB fridge/freezer in it, and I have an Autohome Maggiolina AirLander two person tent on top.

main10.jpg
main6.jpg

One of the places I hang out to talk Toyota is http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/index.php?page=active_topics and also my Toyota forum, though mine is all Toyota 4x4, not just FJ specific.

I don't know what's more BA...the guitar case or that roof tent thing. I want both. Time to buy an SUV no doubt.

Very nice. Looks like there's room for one more... ;)
Hopefully it will be early May and my 408 MT will fill that spot.
I don't know what's more BA...the guitar case or that roof tent thing. I want both. Time to buy an SUV no doubt.
It has been a lot of fun with that rig.
Nothing like sitting around a campfire next to a stream.

21.jpg

Is the other tent your outhouse?
Yes, both for the PETT toilet, and also for a portable shower unit I have.

Almost forgot the privy shelter :D
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/inc/sdetail/379

It folds totally flat into a circle if you watch the video there.

Last edited:
Gorgeous cabinet!!!! and would look nice in ANY room. Those storage compartments are the bomb, and the work-bench being higher then a normal table is ideal. I made a guitar table and had a similar idea...about 40" tall. I keep my guitars /basses in their cases in a spare closet in my music room...standing upright, handles out towards me, next to each other. (up on covered milk crates, to keep off the floor, just in case...) I have had to do little, if any truss rod adjustments to make over the years...Does PRS recommend a preferred method of storing guitars in their cases??? How do you all keep them...I have seen many photos with them side by side, but sitting handle facing up. (the normal way a guitar case sits when you put it down)...

Thanks Bill.
Yeah, I could have gotten away with about 6" deep compartments, but I now have room for more when the GAS urge hits :D

Back