Guitar building with Paul

Paul thinks we should get a bunch of guitar builders together and have each one build a guitar with only the items that are purchased from Home Depot. The contestants would need to select wood, wind pickups, create a bridge, configure the frets, etc, etc. I think it's a brilliant idea and it would make for a really cool TV show. I think they could easily get 8 or so episodes out of the story. What do you guys think?

The more difficult the better. I really enjoyed the piece about the Cardboard Strat that the Fender Custom Shop built.

colbertpopcorn.gif

Lollers -- I actually understand most of that picture, are you sure you're not giving away company secrets there?

AYE KEED, AYE KEED...

You all have the coolest jobs in the world. I would love to be an engineer for a luthier like PRSh, I'm just not sure what my skills would be good for besides hacking the CNC machine to make funny shapes, and I suspect you already have people for that (I met one at one of the experiences).

No no... Lollars are made by Jason in Washington State.:p

I think it is a good idea too especially if the task is to build a guitar styled on a PRS model (we don't wish to antagonize other companies). A budget limit would need to be set for materials and tool purchases. What would the prize be for the winner? Paul maybe thinking about entering himself?

That contest was way too easy. Look at their conditions below. They're basically saying "Build a guitar body". Paul is talking about building a complete guitar, including pickups, tuners, etc.

ALL PARTS AND MATERIALS must come from Home Depot (or similar retail store) with the possible exception of:
o tuning machines
o pickups
o pots, wiring, jacks & switches
o fretwire
* everything else is wide open, and you can use or acquire whatever tools needed to complete the build.

Paul thinks we should get a bunch of guitar builders together and have each one build a guitar with only the items that are purchased from Home Depot. The contestants would need to select wood, wind pickups, create a bridge, configure the frets, etc, etc. I think it's a brilliant idea and it would make for a really cool TV show. I think they could easily get 8 or so episodes out of the story. What do you guys think?

He mentioned that when he was here in Atlanta recently. I would be happy to put that together since I work for the Corp Office ;)

That would be fun!

Back