Guita shop trip today

guitarman001

OK so my orange PRS has an intermittent fault. Sound dies when neck-mid is selected. We suspect it's one coil of the bridge humbucker being shorted out, so it's on for inspection :(

So, worst week ever.
Arguments with girlfriend, work is stressful, worst band rehearsal yet, new singer decided not to go ahead with project, car headlamp is out, lost >£1k in shares, the PRS pickup issue cropped up again, and to top it all off I got a cold.

On the upside... I had amazing fish and chips in Glasgow (Merchant Fish & Chips in Trongate). AND.... I spent about 3 hours in the luxury section in a guitar shop in Glasgow. The guy was cool about it and I tried so many guitars.

- PRS S2 satin models. I didn't try them but they look and feel amazing....

- The Suhr Modern mahogany which I loved last time... I didn't this time. Aldrich pups are too hot for me (might explain why I prefer 57/08 to 59/09 PRS pups). Also I prefer the maple neck.

- Other Suhr Moderns were good but I have to admit there's not that much difference between those and my Pro S4 to justify a purchase. I have my Suhr - hit me over the head if I talk about buying another.

- Chatted to some guy who studied music - we traded Yngwie licks lol... then I played some stuff from my album and he played some gypsy jazz which was very cool.

- Played through a Kemper which sounded cool but too many buttons for me. Suhr Badger 18 was good but honestly - I still prefer my TVP 260... and when I mentioned that amp, 3 other people (honest!) in gigging bands said they use the same amp and that it's simply amazing. So there you go.

- Tried a PRS DGT. I cannot get on with 22 fret PRS guitars due to the heel. However..... sweet jesus the guitar sounded AMAZING. VERY sweet..... way different to a Cu24.

- Tried an Artist pack guitar with same specs as my orange one - was ok but I prefer mine. And that was £4k - goes to show how guitars made using the same materials can differ and why I'd never pay to have a custom guitar built in case I didn't like it.

- Tried a guitar with PRS "Artist" pups - lots of oomph but that's not my thing. Wasn't too keen.

- I played the BEST guitar in the shop.............. It's £3.5k (sweet jesus) - they guy said he could knock £100 off but I got 10-15% off my last two. It was SO sweet... cocobolo fretboard, lovely maple neck, 30th anniversary model. The 85/15 pups sounded AMAZING in the split/tap (!?) positions...!! It looked great, it felt great, it sounded great. I think it's on a par if not better than my orange one... and I'm sure it's better than my purple one. It is soooooo good. After going from Suhr to PRS to Suhr etc, I have to admit I'm a PRS guy (if it's the right guitar). Here is the guitar:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=150903289138002-160769

The sound is almost as quacky as the Suhr but it has real "body" to it. Just loved everything about it. I'm definitely a PRS guy.

Dear God I want it so much........

Are there plans to sell the 85/15 pickups??

Sounds like guitarman needs some funk to get out of his funk...that WL 30th is very very pretty...that might be just what the doctor ordered ;)

But guitar or not, sounds like you had a good guitar-trip, hope things move in an upward direction for you!

Are there plans to sell the 85/15 pickups??
Currently they only go in production guitars. Believe me, I tried, I even informed them it was going into a recent production guitar. They wouldn't do it. They do show up on Reverb and eBay occasionally.

I think I'd have to get a new girlfriend if I bought that guitar!

But seriously, I play a LOT of guitars and that one had REAL magic, just like my other PRS do.

Immediately when I got home, I played my purple PRS (as the orange one is in for repair) to hear the split/tap sound of the 59/09s. To be honest, they are seriously good pups. BUT the 85/15s really had something to them when split.
Saying that, I only tried them clean, not distorted (d'oh) so I think the 59/09s and 57/08s might have a tad more bite when distorted.
To be honest, I prefer lower output pups (which is why I prefer 57/08s to 59/09s).

I'm going to keep my eye on that guitar but £3500 is a step too far considering I have two Cu24 and a Suhr costing about £8k! I DID consider selling the purple one (with 59/09s) and the Suhr to buy that one listed but I'm not sure...... No way I'm having 3 Cu24 - that's too much of the same guitar (for me).

For a while now I've been banging on about Suhr but today I realised I'm a PRS man (if it's the right sort of PRS). They sit with me better. I do prefer the satin necks and smaller heel of the 24-fret versions.

Carl - are you getting those demos done of your new gear? :)

Dusty - oh man... I'd love if they sold them. I don't know if they're considered to be "better" than the 57/08s or not (or if they even use the same machine).

LJD - yeah I guess things could be worse!

The problem is that every year PRS' get better and better in terms of look and sounds. Damn it.
It makes me think "oh no, I've not got THE best new (PRS) guitar or the best (PRS) pups" lol

Oh yeah... I heard cocobolo was becoming rarer. It was only on the fingerboard of the guitar mentioned. Anything special about it?
I think I loved it so much because it has the maple neck like my other two!

Last edited:
Carl - are you getting those demos done of your new gear?!

I actually spent a few hours this morning getting stiff set up and trying to get a good quick demo done. Lets just say its a good thing I am not a session guitarist. Was not happy at all with my playing, and then when I got a track I didn't hate, I really didn't like the way it sounded. I started getting frustrated, and when that happens I just walk away for awhile.

Had a blast playing a few PRSes tonight...tape not rolling, of course :) Tomorrow is another day, hopefully my ears, hands, head and heart will align

- I cannot get on with 22 fret PRS guitars due to the heel. However..... sweet jesus the guitar sounded AMAZING. VERY sweet..... way different to a Cu24.

I don't understand the heel issue unless you play at the 15th fret all the time, but you're dead on about the tone on 22 fret PRS, I've always felt that way.
Feel, playability, tone are choices we have as guitarmen (pardon the pun Guitarman) and in a perfect world we can have all that.

It's just like your choices at the local chippy ...................."What'll you have mate?......Cod or Haddock?" :biggrin:

I don't understand the heel issue unless you play at the 15th fret all the time, but you're dead on about the tone on 22 fret PRS, I've always felt that way.
Feel, playability, tone are choices we have as guitarmen (pardon the pun Guitarman) and in a perfect world we can have all that.

It's just like your choices at the local chippy ...................."What'll you have mate?......Cod or Haddock?" :biggrin:

I do play at the high end a fair bit - I just think the heel comes in too early - personal preference thing. But yeah, the 22-fretters sound great!

The 10 top status has added a couple hundred quid to it but looking at the top, it fades on the left-hand side - my two 10 tops are a lot more 10-toppy. Total bummer.

I didn't think we were permitted to discuss retail pricing here, according to the forum rules. Might want to check that before going further with your shopping issues...

Absolutely love the look of the cocobolo fingerboard!

GUTTED GUTTED GUTTED that they aren't selling 85/15s separately. The guitar linked was probably THE best I've ever played but I can't justify it. Even if I sold my purple one with 59/09s I'd have to put serious cash toward it. Argh..... I always thought the 59/09s were a tad too powerful compared to my excellent 57/08s and the spilt/taps aren't as quacky. Those 85/15s were magic.
Am I simply mental? Should I just shut up and put up with what I've got?

Do you think 57/08s will be phased out? I read elsewhere they are being reserved for Artist models? Seems 85/15 are being rolled out on most guitars now.
I wonder why 59/09s are out for sale but not 57/08s.

Last edited:
If the 59/09`s are a tad too powerful, try lowering them slightly. I almost sold a guitar years ago because I didn`t like the pickups. I dropped them down a few millimeters and it was a different animal. I still have it.

Good tip but it's not just the output - the coil taps (or splits - which one) on the 59/09s doesn't sound as good as with the 85/15s.
57/08s are still great.
In fact 59/09s are amazing, but after trying that specific guitar I was wowed....

Maybe I'm making too big a deal about all this. Without playing mine and that other one side by side... I might be over-reacting.
Can I live with myself if it sells...

Back