"Guess the guitar" quiz

jay

Happy Member
I don't know if this could become a successful format nor whether this has been already done.
It's not a very original idea, so I suppose the answer is "yes, we did this hundreds of times" or "no, it's stupid so we did not loose our time with this".

Anyway, here is a short clip I've recorded yesterday (you will forgive my complete lack of ability and experience in playing/recording/editing). This has been done with a Kemper on a Henriksen Jazz profile with increased mids and some reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/jacopoj/stomom

My question is: what guitar am I playing?

Couple of hints:
- the brand will not surprise you (unless you think "Whoa, this sounds reeeally crap!" ... in which case, it would be surprising, as this brand usually produces very fine instruments -> blame the player)
- the sound came out while looking at a Pat Martino video on truefire. I was trying to get a similar sound but I was not expecting to come any close. In the end, I actually did not come very close, but not as far as I would expect

There is no prize.

It's a 22-fret PRS on the neck pickup with the tone rolled back a bit. Could be a few different models but since you said you were inspired by Pat Martino, I'll guess one of the Hollowbody models. Maybe a straight-up Hollowbody with a spruce top?

image.jpg

Mine!!!
Maybe I'm weird tonight. I can't believe this really sound as good as it seems to me now.
If it does, it might be my new number 1.

It also has a little bit of flame, which I was not expecting...

image.jpg

NGD thread to follow. Thanks to all who strongly suggested to go and pick it up.

This one?

So you're saying it isn't a 22-fret PRS with the neck pickup and the tone rolled back?

Interesting.

Gotcha. That said, "both wrong" implies that nothing about what either of us posted was correct.

If I was on the right track with what I initially said, at least throw us a bone and tell us! You made it seem like my ears are way off.

People will be hard pressed to guess the exact model from that clip. But my ears tell me that it is unequivocally a 22-fret guitar with the neck pickup active and the tone rolled back a bit. As I initially stated, the actual model could be a variety of them.

Can you play something with a bit of oomph in it? I drift off listening to jazz. (your playing is ok as far as I'm concerned BTW)

Gotcha. That said, "both wrong" implies that nothing about what either of us posted was correct.

If I was on the right track with what I initially said, at least throw us a bone and tell us! You made it seem like my ears are way off.

People will be hard pressed to guess the exact model from that clip. But my ears tell me that it is unequivocally a 22-fret guitar with the neck pickup active and the tone rolled back a bit. As I initially stated, the actual model could be a variety of them.

I didn't want to put you off track intentionally, but this was not intended to be done gradually, by guessing single specs.

I didn't want to put you off track intentionally, but this was not intended to be done gradually, by guessing single specs.

So... only a guess that is 100% correct will win? No points for getting the color or string guage wrong? No credit for guessing it has22 frets instead of 24 since the exact model isn't specified?

Maybe we should also specify the time of day the recording was made and the brand of the pic used....

We have a lot of smart, knowledgable members here with good ears. But your parameters for guessing are a bit restrictive.

It was 11 pm and the pick was a Dunlop Primetone 304.

Since I understand you're not liking the format, no problem. My intention was just to play a bit, not to test anybody's ears.

But yes, it's a 22 frets on the neck pu.

Ok, no big fun with the quiz ... :confused:

Anyway, it was a 305 on neck pu. It's not the tone I was expecting from an alder body, maple neck, single coil.

What I have found interesting actually is that the tone knob is at around 1, maybe a bit less, but if you slightly rotate it in one way or the other, it immediately gets completely dull or much brighter.
That sound, which might be not to die for but I think it's usable and it could result useful, can only be gotten dialing the tone knob in one exact position.
I am a big fan of the tone knob but I usually don't do mini-adjustments, which this time proved useful instead.

Back