Grover 406c side-by-side (and install info)

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
Installed the Grover 406c's on my SECU24 last night. Super easy, but doesn't come with explicit instructions.

- Remove strings.
- Use a 10mm wrench (I used a socket wrench) to unscrew the nut.
- Use smallish phillips screwdriver to remove back screw.
- Look at Grover and PRS nuts, screws, and washers and decide which you want to use. They seemed near identical; I went with the Grovers for consistency.
- Seat the tuner, and screw back screw in most (but not all) of the way.
- Put washer and nut on, tighten.
- Finish tightening back screw.
- Repeat all above 5x.
- String it up.
- $Profit!$

More importantly, I know some ppl don't like the smaller buttons - so here's a side-by-side for your decision needs. Stock on the bass side, Grovers on the treble.

Personally, I don't mind the size (I felt the low-E tuner was awfully close to the headstock as you turned it) - I'm just waiting for the more spade-y shape to grow on me.

yimgIFh.png

Darnit. I was looking at the wrong category when I posted. Can an Admin move to Electrics?

Hey thanks for posting this! My Grover 406c tuners just arrived the other day. With any luck I will install them on my SE Custom 24 this weekend.

Yep, that was my method pretty much exactly.

The kidney bean buttons have grown on me. Now I think the regular buttons are too big since they come so close to the headstock.

FWIW, the small Gotoh buttons will fit if you really want to keep something rectangular. I did this on my Ibanez to stay closer to the stock look of the non-locking Gotohs I replaced.

Cool, put them on my SE EG a few months ago and there's a bit of a learning curve stringing them. They work really well - but differently that the PRS lockers. You can't be very heavy-handed when stretching new strings either as they'll break where they go into the tuner. Now I just push down on the 1st fret and stretch with the other.

Jim

I bought a string stretcher, took it out of the package, didn't use it right away and promptly lost it.

It's in the music room . . . somewhere.

Back