Ground & Pound Soundman saga

We had a new booking resource who is the vocalist in one of the blues bands that plays. Unfortunately her skills in this area caused enormous issues . I'd set up for the night , only to have Artists come in with their own PA's , so I'd have to tear down and call it a night ..all due to lack of communication on the bookers part. This happened on several occsasions even after covering it in a staff meeting.. Last Friday it happend again and I told them I'm done ... NOT putting up with this BS again, wrote a letter of resignation.

After several discussions with all concerned , the choice was made to retain me as the Soundman , and bid goodbye to the incompetence. Now that the malignant thorn is removed from my side, I can continue to serve the Musical community and deliver the best sound for the venue.

Last edited:
Father's day was great , I hope you all had a good one too .

I got the OK from the boss to have a Birthday Jam for Open Mic in a month, I'll be starting my 70th trip around the sun .
We'll have 15 minute sets , I'll sit in on all of them on acoustic, electric, bass , and percussion . A chance to answer all the requests for me to play , and give the Artists a chance to stretch out and just enjoy the Art of the Jam.

Well then, preemptive happy 69th birthday!

I wonder what the gift is for that...

cfb4fd7c-c6cb-44e2-acd0-18a08f3898db_text.gif

Being an old 5th gen San Francisco native tye died to the core , this "Summer of 69" is quite special , next month will be my 16 month as Host , and my bday is 7/16/55 .. it will be the 77th week .. ( 7/1+6=7) all those numbers aligning .. hey it's going to be special.

Last edited:
Being an old 5th gen San Francisco native tye died to the core , this "Summer of 69" is quite special , next month will be my 16 month as Host , and my bday is 7/16/55 .. it will be the 77th week .. ( 7/1+6=7) all those numbers aligning .. hey it's going to be special.
Happy birthday in advance!

Great show tonight, lots of new folks and a few regulars, overflowed artist list again .. The roster was full 15 minutes before showtime .. that's a 1st! I gave up the Jam to squeeze more late comers in , all seasoned vets and friends.. they were happy about that.
16 Artists/ instant sound checks .. I was a bit busy but everybody sounded great ! I think that is the reason it keeps growing, along with the most supportive room in the ATL according to everyone.

Last edited:
BDAY Jam setlist ? I'm trying to come up with some great songs we can really stretch out for my Open Mic Bday Jam
I've got about half the set list ...I figure the Artists will have many more ideas , there are only 10 in the night :
I heard it through the grapevine ( CCR rev)
Can't you hear me knockin ( Stones-sticky fingers)
Stir it Up /One Love ( Marley)
Who Knows ( Buddy Miles~Jimi)
Mona - Who do you love ?( Bo Diddly / Quicksilver)
Mountain Jam ( Donovan~Allman bros)
Blue Jean Blues ( Cousin Billy or Jeff Healy ) .. My great grandma and Senor Gibbons' were sisters, my late father told me when he was a kid they'd get together ... " all those Gibbons folk played Music" nobody even had radio's in those days ... Wierd how generations later we still love hot rods, pin stripes , vintage guitars and Texas chili ...

Last edited:
BDAY Jam setlist ? I'm trying to come up with some great songs we can really stretch out for my Open Mic Bday Jam
I've got about half the set list ...I figure the Artists will have many more ideas , there are only 10 in the night :
I heard it through the grapevine ( CCR rev)
Can't you hear me knockin ( Stones-sticky fingers)
Stir it Up /One Love ( Marley)
Who Knows ( Buddy Miles~Jimi)
Mona - Who do you love ?( Bo Diddly / Quicksilver)
Mountain Jam ( Donovan~Allman bros)
I'm such a slacker when it comes to the Forum. This is the first time I've ventured into Studio & Stage and was pleased to see your steady hand at the controls of this thread.

I thoroughly enjoy what you post on What Are You Listening To - lots of overlap on the kind of R&R I like.

Love your inclusion of Mona in your set list. I sang in a band in HS/college, and Mona (Stones version) was a favorite of mine. Completely hooked on that Bo Diddly beat and the pulsating tremolo of the amp.

Years later I heard Quicksilver's cover and was totally blown over. I still like the Stones version, but QS's cover became my new favorite. That's a song in my iTunes practice/favorites folder and I do that song often. Can't play lead worth a darn, but I rock the sh!t out of rhythm guitar. If I lived in the ATL area, I'd feel confident enough to get up on your stage with any one for that song.

Keep on rockin' it out, GW - never too old.

To all my fellow flock members .. IF ANY of you are ever in the ATL area , I'd love for you to drop by the Cafe' .
If it's on a Wed night it would be my great pleasure to have you grace our stage.
That is a generous offer, and if I ever find myself in the ATL area, I'd take you up on it. Even if it wasn't a Wednesday, it would be a pleasure just to meet and talk with you.

Last nights shows was a snoozer, nice singer songwriter , very soft voice and he had a vocal harmonizer to help fill up his vocals.
The only problem is he sang so soft he didn't hit the trigger point often so it was mostly etheral mush. He wanted his guitar softer in the mix .. the result ... the thin crowd vacated after about 30 minutes ... Hot weather and sleepy music aren't big sellers....

Ah well he was a nice guy

My best friend dropped by in the afternoon to dial in his equipment .. something I do for artist friends. I am always amazed by how little people actually understand how their gear really works. You could see the lightbulb moments .. it was a blast .. He has no idea his amp and guitar could get that many tones without a pedal.

#68 was a great night , despite the 104F heat index . We had a dozen artists the majority new. Apparently the word has gotten out , and other Open Mic's are sending folks our way because we are so friendly . It was a standing room only crowd , the boss was beaming .. at the end of the night when all was cleared out she said " This is all because of You " .. got to say that felt mighty fine.

I have my first weekend off in 16 months .

Last edited:
I could make this a seperate post , but as it is relevant to this thread I'll keep it here .

Pick 1 song that you could lead a crowd friendly jam with for 15 minutes , looking for ideas I've got 10 slots to fill
.... I KNOW you all have plenty

The "band" set up will be Congas/ Cajons , Keyboard/ Bass / Acoustic + Electric guitars ..

I could make this a seperate post , but as it is relevant to this thread I'll keep it here .

Pick 1 song that you could lead a crowd friendly jam with for 15 minutes , looking for ideas I've got 10 slots to fill
.... I KNOW you all have plenty

The "band" set up will be Congas/ Cajons , Keyboard/ Bass / Acoustic + Electric guitars ..
"Everyday People" by Sly & The Family Stone!

I was browsing this morning and of course 4th of july sales are on ... As I started my musical journey as a drummer .. 63 years ago , and both my grandsons love drums ..but parents work at home ... Serendipity snagged me .. and ..these will work great in the Cafe' as the fold up small :) have a head phone jack ( both kit and amp)

I went with the expanded version as it wasn't much more
M07305000002000-00-600x600.jpg

Alesis Nitro e drums and a Simmons DA2110 drum amp
M06882000002000-08-2000x2000.jpg
L76374000000000-00-600x600.jpg

Last edited:
I was browsing this morning and of course 4th of july sales are on ... As I started my musical journey as a drummer .. 63 years ago , and both my grandsons love drums ..but parents work at home ... Serendipity snagged me .. and ..these will work great in the Cafe' as the fold up small :) have a head phone jack ( both kit and amp)

Alesis Nitro e drums and a Simmons DA2110 drum amp
M06882000002000-00-600x600.jpg
M06882000002000-08-2000x2000.jpg
L76374000000000-00-600x600.jpg

you can add another tom and cymbal for another $84, no need yet
Nice! Those look pretty cool

Back