Grissom and Paul R. Smith, New DG30 Video

László

Too Many Notes
As many here know, the DG30 has been the coequal of my HXDA since I got it about 5 years ago. I love these amps tons and tons. I figured I’d post the latest interview with Grissom here.

For anyone unfamiliar with this amp, it’s just plain killer, and I’m so glad I own one. BTW, Doug Sewell told me it’s a very time consuming amp to build. And no wonder, it’s an incredible amp.

It's interesting that Dave puts his pedals in front of his amps, not the FX loop. And the tone is awesome! Was also interested when Dave mentioned Duane Allman's tone on "At Fillmore [Live]." Methinks Les has some audible roots in this area. Just re-uploaded my ABB CD to hear what Dave was speaking about...

Love this amp, and he’s right there are a ton of tones in it. I don’t set it up to get a tone at all like his, but I love it because of some of the same stuff he talks about in the video.

Maybe when I no longer have a cat I’ll get around to buying the matching cabinet.

Great upload Les.

It's interesting that Dave puts his pedals in front of his amps, not the FX loop. And the tone is awesome! Was also interested when Dave mentioned Duane Allman's tone on "At Fillmore [Live]." Methinks Les has some audible roots in this area. Just re-uploaded my ABB CD to hear what Dave was speaking about...

Simon Mcbride also does this, interesting video of him on That Pedal Show. He's another tone monster from the PRS stable! Certain similarities between his playing and David's.

You couldn’t be more right about where I’m coming from; ABB always had a wonderfully rich sound, and are a great example of those buttery-smooth low-medium-gain tones, especially with humbucker guitars, and heck, I only play ‘buckers and P-90s.

I don’t use effects loops, either; I like the more saturated result of going in front of the amp, and fact is, countless classic rock tones that people chase after were recorded before amps had effects loops. But I’m one of ten zillion opinions on that, and by no means do I think anyone else ought to follow my example. Plus, I am not exactly a shining example of great guitar playing!

Neither my HXDA nor DG30 has a loop, and the other amps’ loops go unused at my place.

However, if I was a high gain player, I’d use a loop for time-based effects like delay if I wasn’t recording. With recording, I simply add time based effects to high gain tracks at the mixing stage, where they sound best to me.

Back