Greetings PRSers! NGD SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow in da hood!

DHart

Just arrived yesterday... most impressive build quality (W M I C Korea) action perfect, rosewood board so dark it might be mistaken for ebony, beautiful fit and finish. And, most importantly for me, in split-coil/single-coil mode, these 85/15 "S" pickups sound about as beautifully clean, detailed, and sparkly as tru single-coil pickups! THAT's what I like! (Not a big fan of PAF-style humbucker tones).

Anyway.. on to pictures!

48811626092_898db40d18_o.jpg

48811625617_d2a83b6cd5_o.jpg

48811129498_330e65497e_o.jpg

15% off from the good folks at Sweetwater made the purchase "sweet".

I will admit to NOT particularly liking the look of the zebra buckers and cream rings, my plan is to acquire some nickel covers and black rings. I decided this after making up a quick and dirty photoshop rendition of the guitar, so equipped.

48811487491_8156d6b430_o.png

This is my second PRS guitar. My first one is also an SE Custom Semi-hollow, with P90s:

28120812407_659b31450b_o.jpg

This is a pretty nice and very "basic" guitar, but plays well and sounds good!

Yeah, I’ve got one of the stoptail versions of that guitar, and it’s pretty great.

Had I the choice, I'd have gone for the stop tail version. As it is, the tones from this are great and I just ignore the trem. :)

DO people ever deck or block the PRS trems, as is often done with Strats?

If so... by what means? (Yes, I have a few "decked" Strat trems!).

Had I the choice, I'd have gone for the stop tail version. As it is, the tones from this are great and I just ignore the trem. :)

DO people ever deck or block the PRS trems, as is often done with Strats?

If so... by what means? (Yes, I have a few "decked" Strat trems!).

The trem version wasn’t out yet when I got mine, otherwise I would’ve gone with that.

I’d go for “blocked” rather than “decked” if I were you. If you get a piece of wood to block the trem you won’t have to put in as much effort into setting up your guitar all over again. Some of the trem parts are kinda... economically fragile too. They’ totally adequate within spec but, doing things like screwing down the trem mounting screws can be slightly risky... they’ve got little grooves in ‘em that can snap off if you’re not careful.

But yeah! The tones from my guitar is stupid good considering the price, it’s almost embarrassing when I play it alongside some of my more expensive guitars.

Here’s mine. Not to distract from your NGD but more so to reinforce the creme pup rings and covered pups.... and lampshades are a must.
EiQ5F3f.jpg

The trem version wasn’t out yet when I got mine, otherwise I would’ve gone with that.

Haha! Isn't that a HOOT! Perhaps I should be happy that I got a trem version. ;) The trem is quite stable when not used, so perhaps I have no need to block it.

And beautiful quilt top you have!

I might be ok with the cream rings, but I so wish those zebras were just BLACK bobbins. I prefer no cover on my buckers (if the bobbins are just cream or just black), but changing bobbins for zebras is probably beyond me, so covers are the order of the day.

Last edited:
Congrats, welcome, make it yours and rock out. I’m suffer from trem madness. If you’ve ever had the urge, these are magnificent with locking tuners. You can go up 1/2 step as well as down, and they stay in tune when set up properly.

I blocked my CU22 semi SE and it really brought the guitar to life! It made it much louder acoustically as well.

Fantastic guitar! Congrats

I agree that when setup properly, tuning stability with whammy use can be excellent.

I blocked my CU22 semi SE and it really brought the guitar to life! It made it much louder acoustically as well.

I will try that. Do you have a photo of how you blocked it? Both sides or just on the spring side?

I will try that. Do you have a photo of how you blocked it? Both sides or just on the spring side?
I just wedged a block of wood from my old Strat between the body and the trem block, opposite the springs. It was a tad wider than it probably should be but it does force a solid connection from the block to the body. My trem does angle toward the body on the back side but it doesn't negatively effect string height or setup.

Just arrived yesterday... most impressive build quality (W M I C Korea) action perfect, rosewood board so dark it might be mistaken for ebony, beautiful fit and finish. And, most importantly for me, in split-coil/single-coil mode, these 85/15 "S" pickups sound about as beautifully clean, detailed, and sparkly as tru single-coil pickups! THAT's what I like! (Not a big fan of PAF-style humbucker tones).

Anyway.. on to pictures!

48811626092_898db40d18_o.jpg

48811625617_d2a83b6cd5_o.jpg

48811129498_330e65497e_o.jpg

15% off from the good folks at Sweetwater made the purchase "sweet".

I will admit to NOT particularly liking the look of the zebra buckers and cream rings, my plan is to acquire some nickel covers and black rings. I decided this after making up a quick and dirty photoshop rendition of the guitar, so equipped.

48811487491_8156d6b430_o.png

This is my second PRS guitar. My first one is also an SE Custom Semi-hollow, with P90s:

28120812407_659b31450b_o.jpg

This is a pretty nice and very "basic" guitar, but plays well and sounds good!

Back