Greetings, new to PRS

Srini

Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum and wanted to say hi. Although I've been playing since I was 13 or 14 (I'm 62 now, gainfully retired), I only joined the PRS family very recently. In my younger days I was more or less a Gibson player, having owned a Yamaha SA-2000 at one time, and will forever regret selling it. I later switched to Strat style guitars and have a few USACG instruments - very fine ones, indeed. For some reason, PRS never seemed to fit my hands all that well, and something just didn't feel right. Granted my exposure had been limited to noodling in stores on instruments that may not have been set up well.

Anyway, long story short, I recently got a black S2 Mira semi-hollow, and it continues to blow me away every time I strap it on. A quick tweak of the truss rod and a minor adjustment of bridge was all it needed - plus a fresh set of 10s, of course! I can honestly say that this is easily the best guitar I've owned. I know its not a fancy core or wood library model, but not being much into fancy looks, I can't see how anything could be better!

Anyway, after a hiatus from playing for a few months for various reasons, the Mira has seduced me into playing again - that's the only word I can think of that fits!

I look forward to meeting you all.

Srini

Welcome to the forum Srini! Glad to have you!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody. AP515, this Mira addiction is rivaling my sugar addiction now! Its really hard to put down.

I've owned some nice pricey guitars in my time, and this is right up there. One thing I'm curious about is how they get that kind of fret leveling without a Plek. I'm sure its not as simple as the clips imply on YouTube!

Alright, back to playing!

Srini

... One thing I'm curious about is how they get that kind of fret leveling without a Plek. I'm sure its not as simple as the clips imply on YouTube!
Yes, it is that simple, and not. What you see on YouTube is really how they sand the fretboard and how they set the frets. The reason they can get such a good foundation BEFORE they glue on the fretboard is they take a month to finish a neck. Others take a week or so. They start a rough cut of a neck blank and they let it set for a few days to adjust to the change in the stress. Then they cut a little more and then set another few days. After multiple times of shaving a little and letting the wood adjust, the wood has finished changing and it is stable and ready for the fretboard. If you don't let the neck stabilize you have to Plek later (when it has settled down). If you let it stabilize before you apply the fretboard, you don't have the same stresses.

Srini , my first PRS was an S2 mira in black, still love it and it weighs around 5lbs...now I have 3 S2s including a Satin and a Core....

Very good point, AP515 - I imagine the time to let the neck settle plays a huge role. That's one thing I've noticed about the Mira - I had to tweak the truss rod initially to set it for my preference, and it hasn't budged since. Meanwhile the weather has changed slightly and the heat has come on in my condo, but the Mira's neck is rock solid, judging from the tuning.

Russ, your Mira is feather light! I thought mine was light at 6.2 lbs!

I make extended trips to India every year to visit family, and I'm considering getting an SE semi hollow there - you can still get the old ones with the wide fat necks over there - to avoid taking anything on a plane and messing with troublesome customs officers. I wonder if the SE's are close in terms of playability. Its easy enough to swap out pickups, I imagine. I have an old pair of SD A2 Pros, which I think would be a great match.

All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't wait until I'm in my 80s to finally break down and get a PRS - and I live in MD too!

Srini

Back