Greetings From Ground Zero

Thanks for replying, although we get lots of heads up on these types of storms logistically sometimes going north is not the answer never mind the fact that we are trying to protect all around us not just our personal property. Traffic and access to gas on the way out can stop people in the tracks and in some cases put them in more peril. I don’t have the answers and looking back we can always do it diff but it’s just not that easy. Also not everyone has the resources (just look at Katrina). I really do feel for everyone down there and don’t ever wish it on anyone. I can’t tell you what I would have done as I never have been in your shoes. Good luck moving forward.

The thing to remember is, despite the heads up, these storms are still unpredictable. It's not uncommon for them to turn at the last minute like Ian did. You just have to evaluate all your options and bet on the one you think gives you the best outcome.

Sorry to hear about your parents home. I hope that they are alright and evacuated in time before the hurricane.
I have honestly not had to nerve to look at any of the pictures from Sanibel Or Ft Myers Beach Yet.
My only contact with the outside world was the radio for the first 2 weeks after the hurricane passed so I could only go by what I heard but I beleive both of those areas were completely destroyed.

Thanks, fortunately they were still up north, a couple weeks before they were going to head down for the winter. They spent the second half of last week hopping on a boat and getting shuttled over to the island each day to try and clean up and salvage what they could, but mostly to help their friends get through it. While they were fortunate in that they still live in Massachusetts half the year- and this is where all of the real valuables are- many of their friends and neighbors are year round residents and have lost everything.

Well stated, Frank...I have sisters in Venice and North Port...and we share the same thoughts!!!
Please Take The Time To Appreciate Life And The Little Things That We All Take For Granted From Time To Time, I Can Assure You I Will...
Glad you're back up and running!!!!
I hope they are alright.. From What I Hear Venice And North Port Were Hit Very Hard To The Point The Myakka RIver Was Still Flooding So Bad That They Had To Close I-75 For Almost A Week After the Storm. Those Are Both Beautiful Areas Of Florida And I Know Them Very Well.
I Am Sorry If Your Sisters Suffered Any Losses Due To This Hurricane..

Thanks, fortunately they were still up north, a couple weeks before they were going to head down for the winter. They spent the second half of last week hopping on a boat and getting shuttled over to the island each day to try and clean up and salvage what they could, but mostly to help their friends get through it. While they were fortunate in that they still live in Massachusetts half the year- and this is where all of the real valuables are- many of their friends and neighbors are year round residents and have lost everything.
I Am Glad Your Parents Were Not Here To Experience This..
I Have Honestly Not Had The Nerve Yet To Look At The Devastation In Other Areas Of Southwest Florida. I Can Only Go By What I Heard By Word Of Mouth And Listening To The Local Radio While We Were Without Power Or Cell Phone Service. From What I Gather Sanibel And Ft Myers Beach Are Almost A Total Loss And It Truly Breaks My Heart To Think Of All The People That Lost Everything And Especially Those Who Lost Their Lives..

I hope they are alright.. From What I Hear Venice And North Port Were Hit Very Hard To The Point The Myakka RIver Was Still Flooding So Bad That They Had To Close I-75 For Almost A Week After the Storm. Those Are Both Beautiful Areas Of Florida And I Know Them Very Well.
I Am Sorry If Your Sisters Suffered Any Losses Due To This Hurricane..
Nothing that can't be fixed...they were very lucky...We have cruised the Myakka ...We absolutely love that area. Stay safe.

Back