Greetings Enablers

I bought one of his roasted maple neck Cu24s last month. Stunning guitar. I have the same problem with the finished necks. I’ve used Scotch Brite on a couple, and that solves it, for me. The nitro will be stickier than the poly coat. You can find all of the models you mentioned with maple (satin in maple finish) and rosewood necks (no finish) in Wood Library runs that dealers have done. While the “satin in maple” Isn’t bare wood, it sure feels like it. If you played one of his roasted maple neck Cu24 , then you have felt that finish.

Also, some people swear by Maguier’s car products. The cleaner first, then a couple of coats of pure Carnuba wax, a couple of days apart. I haven’t tried it yet, but need to. I’ve heard that method lasts a long time.

Ok guys, yesterday I went to see Jack at Northeast. First off, if anyone hasn't dealt with him I highly recommend. He was knowledgeable, helpful and polite. The store has a pretty good stock as well. Anyway, I went to get my hands on a few core models mainly to feel the neck shapes. To my surprise, the shapes were not the issue for me, it was the stickiness of the necks. I know that most people don't have issue but I must have sweaty or oily hands and the neck felt like glue. Jack even cleaned one up and waxed it, It helped for a bit but quickly went back to normal in a few minuets. I love the way the unfinished neck feels on the CE. Is it difficult to come by a non finished neck core model? Jack had suggested possibly roasted maple. I see the 2020 models are now nitro finished. is this much different than the poly on the neck? I know sanding the neck is a possibility as well, but I struggle with paying that much for a guitar that I basically have to ruin it's finish to make it playable for me.

Now as for the guitars, I played two cu24, a McCarty 594, a McCarty HB, a CE24, and a CE24HB. I also played the SE HB Piezo. Of all that I played, the 594 was the most special. It had sustain for days, and stayed in tune. It felt like an improved Les Paul to me which is that theyre going for I assume. The HB vs solid wasn't too much difference to me besides the weight. I typically like hotter pickups, think Gibson Burstbucker, but didn't mind the 58LT on the McCarty. I would like to hear a McCarty with 85/15 in it. Are they ever offered?

I went mainy to see a Piezo model. I played the SE but i didn't really care for it. Maybe it was the amp I was using, it didn't sound as acoustic as the videos I had seen. I still want to play a core model with it and try it out. So now my only sticking point (pun intended) is the neck. Are the rosewood or satin necks as sticky as the gloss? Would roasted maple do the trick?

I’ve had the exact same experience with sticky necks and now I only play satin finished necks. Unfortunately, it’s rare to find a core with a satin neck. I got lucky and found a wood library custom 24 at Dave’s that had been singled out and sold as a core that had a satin neck. Either satin maple or rosewood will be great for what you’re looking for. I personally prefer satin maple just because I like the snap the maple adds.

From what I’ve read, 58/15s are just covered 85/15s so not much of a difference that I’m aware of. I only have experience with 85/15s and 58/15LTs though. If the 594 is what you’re after I’d say keep a lookout for a wood library with the neck you like and change the pickups if you decide you want more output. I personally have a semi hollow satin 594 with a maple neck that I absolutely love, so I’d highly recommend one.

Ugh this is killing me. I am torn between wanting a Piezo now. The versitility is what attracted me to it. I guess my dream guitar would be a 594 Piezo with some form of satin neck. I've got to decide what I want to compromise on because Private stock is not in the budget, at least not for now. It's strange, my other guitars have a glossy finsh but aren't as sticky. Maybe it has to be played in a little? It is also like 100 degrees and humid here but it was in the store. @21Hemispheres12 do you have a pic of your satin 594 I could see?

@bodia were you hesitant on using a scotch brite on your guitar? If it were a cheaper guitar I wouldnt care, I just have a hard time dong it to a 5K brand new guitar. I don't know about you guys but when I play guitars at stores there is some kind of gut feeling when you have a good one. I don't know if I just didn't feel it on the Cu24s or if the MCCarty was just that much better. I need to play a few more.

Twist my arm to post pics ;)
fWJdk1Z_d.jpg

dGRxwIz_d.jpg

Man, that thing is stunning! I need to play one like that. That neck feels close to bare wood?

As you play it it’ll gloss up a little but it’s as close to bare wood as you’ll get with maple. I think roasted maple is able to not have a finish at all but I’m not sure. The 594 is from 2018 and here it is with my 2020 Custom 24-08, you can tell the 24-08 looks a little more satin because it’s new still.
tR6y4TD_d.jpg

Last edited:
I’m firmly in the Meguiar’s camp, except I don’t use carnauba, I just use about 6 coats of the cleaner/car wax in the burgundy bottle. I do 2 coats when I get the guitar, another coat a week later, and rewax about once a month. I started doing it in the 70’s and then gradually found Meguiar’s and like it the best. It doesn’t hurt resale if you ever want to, and it feels really good. I just finished coat #6 on my maple neck DC3.

Last edited:
@bodia were you hesitant on using a scotch brite on your guitar? If it were a cheaper guitar I wouldnt care, I just have a hard time dong it to a 5K brand new guitar. I don't know about you guys but when I play guitars at stores there is some kind of gut feeling when you have a good one. I don't know if I just didn't feel it on the Cu24s or if the MCCarty was just that much better. I need to play a few more.

As a matter of fact, I was extremely hesitant. So much so that I sold two guitars because I didn't want to "screw them up." One was a Silver Sky, although that had as much to do with not really bonding with S style guitars. The other was a Dirty 100. Both had nitro finished necks. The Dirty 100 I sold because I was "scared" to play it, being kind of a special guitar and limited run. I immediately regretted it. I found a wounded Dirty 100 on Reverb that was less than what I sold mine for. It has a couple of dings on it, so I was more willing to mess with it. Within three days of receiving it I taped off the neck and took the Scotch Brite to it. Five minutes later, I was in love with the neck. Light pressure, and 10-15 passes up and down the neck was all it took. I liked the result so much I did it to my 2009 Nitro finished DGT. The good news is that it is practically reversible. As far as looks go, it appears a little "dull".

Here are my maple necks, and a Cu22 (black neck) that I had the PTC refinish in a satin finish.

Roasted Maple Cu24 from Jack Gretz

o2GU3jc.jpg

LAKDiWy.jpg

WL 594 Semi Hollow

4OV6M1Y.jpg

T9kd71C.jpg

Cu22 with Satin Finish

gaXes4b.jpg

cNsXZ41.jpg

WL 509

4Y92ogK.jpg

BAcDrvX.jpg

Thanks for the replies. You guys are giving me hope. After I left on Saturday I was almost thinking a PRS wasn’t for me just based on the neck. I’m glad to see I’m not the only person with this issue.

I have a 62 AVRI Jaguar that has a nitro neck that isn’t sticky to me. My new American strat is bare maple and feels the best. Maybe it’s just the poly that’s bothering me. Looks like it’s time to check some more inventory.

Find a (2010s or newer? Maybe 2000s or newer?) core with a maple neck - that will indeed be the best satin/naked wood feel.

You might need to jump to an AP or WL, but on the used market there should be a good selection.

There are maple neck runs many prs out there, selection is slimmer but they are there. Will be tougher if you still are considering piezo. Just make sure you look carefully as there are finished maple as well. Roasted maple is usually smooth as a baby’s bottom and there are quite a few popping up now. I haven’t played a prs with roasted(aka torrified) but want one in the worst way.

I bought one of his roasted maple neck Cu24s last month. Stunning guitar. I have the same problem with the finished necks. I’ve used Scotch Brite on a couple, and that solves it, for me. The nitro will be stickier than the poly coat. You can find all of the models you mentioned with maple (satin in maple finish) and rosewood necks (no finish) in Wood Library runs that dealers have done. While the “satin in maple” Isn’t bare wood, it sure feels like it. If you played one of his roasted maple neck Cu24 , then you have felt that finish.

Also, some people swear by Maguier’s car products. The cleaner first, then a couple of coats of pure Carnuba wax, a couple of days apart. I haven’t tried it yet, but need to. I’ve heard that method lasts a long time.
How does the roasted maple feel compared to the normal satin maple “finish in the wood” that PRS has used in recent years?

How does the roasted maple feel compared to the normal satin maple “finish in the wood” that PRS has used in recent years?
Identical. So much so, that I would be surprised if the roasted neck wasn't also the same "finish in the wood". I'm thinking back to the EBMMs that I have had with the gun oil applied to the roasted neck. Not the same feeling. Close, though.

Hey guys, I'm here to resurrect this thread. Two new models have piqued my interest now, the Special Semi Hollow and the MEV. Going back to my reasoning for wanting a PRS was for a guitar that can do it all so to speak. The Piezo is still a possibility but seeing the Special and MEV has me considering these. The obvious differences are one thing but I am more looking for opinions from people who have played both. The switching seems complex but similar between the two, the semi hollow vs solid, the narrowfield vs the single coil etc. I just need to find one with a roasted or satin neck. Thanks for the help guys.

Frank

Back to the piezo discussion for just a second, there is *one* McCarty piezo I know of ;)

On the subject of MEV vs SSH I’m personally going with MEV to round out my stable of P22 (stoptail ironically) and HBII Singlecut piezo.

There are several MEV wood library offerings currently taking pre orders (dealer section) that have maple or roasted maple neck configurations.

Back