Greenbacks

Take this with a grain of salt, my Glenmorangie brother, but if you are cranking that sucker then you want wiggle room. Just my humble opinion!

The Mesa has its original speaker and I’m unsure if it’s wattage rating. It’s an 8ohm speaker.

Mmmm a nice glass of Malt, shame I’m working in the morning.

I’m with the others on this. Technically it’s a 25 watt speaker (although there are 20 and 30 watt versions), but a tube amp can put out more than rated wattage cranked up. This was my conundrum running the HXDA 50 watt through a 2x12 with Greenbacks. It sounded stellar, and was really portable in that small Carvin cab. But I was always worried about toasting a speaker. Hence came the Marshall 4x12 cab build.

On the other hand, if you’re not pushing it north of half or a bit more, you’re probably fine. You can add a Boogie 1x12 to it when you need to get louder… that mini-stack thing looks cool. :cool:

A general rule of thumb is, you want your speaker(s) to handle 2 times the rated power of your amp. Some exceptions apply, like Mesa sticking a 90 watt rated speaker in the Mark V combo. But for the reasons noted above, 2x is a good rule in general.

Thanks for all the answers.

I’m struggling to see the wattage rating on the speaker. Maybe I should put my glasses on!;)

Generally a speaker doesn't show the wattage rating. If it's the Black Shadow, it's rated for 90 Watts.

Mesa generally employs speakers that exceed the amp's power output rating. For example, their 40 Watt California Tweed comes with Alnico Blackbirds that are rated for 100 Watts.

You can go to the Celestion site to find the rated power for their speakers, or go to the Mesa site and do the same.

Thanks for all the answers.

I’m struggling to see the wattage rating on the speaker. Maybe I should put my glasses on!;)
Some of them came with the Celestion Black Shadow 90, but if it says “Vintage” on the speaker, it should be a 50 watt 8 ohm speaker. I think my Subway Rocket had the Vintage speaker, and it was also a 20-ish watt amp.

Generally a speaker doesn't show the wattage rating. If it's the Black Shadow, it's rated for 90 Watts.

Mesa generally employs speakers that exceed the amp's power output rating. For example, their 40 Watt California Tweed comes with Alnico Blackbirds that are rated for 100 Watts.

You can go to the Celestion site to find the rated power for their speakers, or go to the Mesa site and do the same.

Thanks Les.

Some of them came with the Celestion Black Shadow 90, but if it says “Vintage” on the speaker, it should be a 50 watt 8 ohm speaker. I think my Subway Rocket had the Vintage speaker, and it was also a 20-ish watt amp.

Cheers Rick. Yep, it’s marked “vintage”.

Back