Great Live Albums

Not sure if it's "technically" a live album and more-so a collection of live performances, but Talkin' Blues by Bob Marley and the Wailers is one my all-time favorite albums, in general. Something about the sound quality and stripped back reggae sound of that album is just almost hypnotic.

Several of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I'll do something a little different...
Waiting for Columbus - Little Feat -"technically" a live alum even though they fixed a ton of stuff in the studio, but for me Fat Man in the Bathtub is worth the price of admission alone.
Running On Empty - Jackson Browne- probably pushing the boundries of what a true "live" album is, but it's a masterpiece. The Road and Cocaine are probably my favorite "unknown" songs off this record
World Wide Live -Scorpions- Coast to Coast and Holiday really standout for me.
At Folsum Prison- Johnny Cash- My dad had this album and I listened to it more times than I can remember.
Live Bullet/Nine Tonight-Bob Seger- Received Live as a gift and then proceeded to exchange it for Nine...doh! I soon rectified that mistake, but they both are great records. I saw them on the American Storm tour and was blown away by Bob and the band. Still one of the best shows I've ever seen.
Jimi Plays Monterey-Jimi Hendrix- stole this cassette from my future brother-in-law...totally worth it. This version of Hey Joe just kills.

+1 re: Live at Leeds.

Also, the live album that wasn't: Frampton Comes Alive, engineered with crowd noise but not recorded live, IIRC...

Actually, it was cut live at the Winterland in San Francisco, an arena in New York, and maybe one other venue. I forget the details, but it was a real deal live record.

I feel shame that I forgot Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. I loved the San Quentin album, too, but Folsom had an undeniable fire that SQ lacked.

Kate Bush’s “Live At Hammersmith Odeon” is tough to find but very good. The band was killer.

Van Morrison-It's Too Late To Stop Now. My favorite singer at his peak with a great band.
The Damned- John Peel Sessions. Funny and it rocks!
Velvet Underground-Live 1969. Sounds like maybe 25 people in the audience. I loved driving around listening to this in the late 80's
Rolling Stones-Get yer ya yas out. I always like to hear the Stones live especially from the early 70's

Santana Lotus Live in Japan 1973 It was only available as an import for a long time - 3 records. At the time it was by far the best quality live recording I'd ever heard The packaging was also fantastic.

Back