Gravity...

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
...is working against me.

I have a pile of humbucker-based guitars but my taste is moving away from their pull. I am leaning heavily toward single-coils and P90's these days

I find my self searching for a longer-scale, low-bling, player's guitar that still looks and feels like a PRS but sounds like a really good Strat boned a Duesenberg Starplayer.

My 305 is fun but doesn't quite get there. I'm far too attached to it, as is, to try aftermarket pickups in it. The White Rabbit gets close and is still my favorite guitar but the thin'ish SE neck profile isn't ideal. My NF3 is close too. Very close. But I long for a PRS that looks -- you know -- like a PRS. Although I could do without the sharp lip that constantly grinds my forearm.

So here it is; my wish for a simple, single-coil, long-scale PRS that roasts the tubes while still looking very much like a PRS.

...is working against me.

I have a pile of humbucker-based guitars but my taste is moving away from their pull. I am leaning heavily toward single-coils and P90's these days

I find my self searching for a longer-scale, low-bling, player's guitar that still looks and feels like a PRS but sounds like a really good Strat boned a Duesenberg Starplayer.

My 305 is fun but doesn't quite get there. I'm far too attached to it, as is, to try aftermarket pickups in it. The White Rabbit gets close and is still my favorite guitar but the thin'ish SE neck profile isn't ideal. My NF3 is close too. Very close. But I long for a PRS that looks -- you know -- like a PRS. Although I could do without the sharp lip that constantly grinds my forearm.

So here it is; my wish for a simple, single-coil, long-scale PRS that roasts the tubes while still looking very much like a PRS.

How about something like this:

20160727_121234_zpsfyzwqdkq.jpg

2003 Ce24 with a custom neck and Lollar Single Coil for Humbucker pickups. They sound like this:

Many of my favorite players are single coil guys, but I can't seem to make them work for me....

Yeah, maybe brother Dane.

Give this song a listen (one of my all time favorite live performances) and dig how the Strat and Duesenberg sound together. It's freaking magic.

I suppose a set of Phat Cat pickups in a CU24 might be worth a dance. Hmmmm...

Dig! I missed this one. Going to have to dig it up. Tasty, tasty, tasty!

Reactions: CVS
Well, I read this thread, went away, and re-read it. Despite you saying you don't think your 305 does it for you, I have to say of my PRSi (and I don't have all that many compared to some, just under a dozen), my 305 is the most Strat-like. The SAS is a close second though, in tapped/split coil mode.

How about an EG?

Edit: Or a Brent Mason?

My question would be: Why try to "make PRS do this" when the Stratocaster already exists? And is awesome as-is?

I picked up my Strat yesterday for the first time in a couple months. It sounds different, it plays different, and all its characteristics are wonderful. And there are dozens of clones of them to be had if that's your thing.

If I understand you correctly, you want PRS' take on the single-coil. Isn't that the 513?

I have only played one 513. You'll notice I don't own one. It may be the winner for some. Not me.

Plus, the 513 was trying to be all things. It's a great tool for a guy that needs lots of tonal variety in one guitar (like the Super Eagle) but what I have in mind is a thoroughbred. a guitar with a single purpose. I'm imagining a purpose-built guitar without unnecessary embellishments.

Last edited:
I have only played one 513. You'll notice I don't own one. It may be the winner for some. Not me.

Plus, the 513 was trying to be all things. It's a great tool for a guy that needs lots of tonal variety in one guitar (like the Super Eagle) but what I have in mind is a thoroughbred. a guitar with a single purpose. I'm imagining a purpose-built guitar without unnecessary embellishments.
I know I said it once already, but I am with you 100% on this one

Yeah, maybe brother Dane.

Give this song a listen (one of my all time favorite live performances) and dig how the Strat and Duesenberg sound together. It's freaking magic.

I suppose a set of Phat Cat pickups in a CU24 might be worth a dance. Hmmmm...

Great song. I had never heard it before. Guitars sound great together. Very complimentary.

Am I the only one who finds the look of the 513 a bit ungainly.... and imagines the pickups could have been made in a more aesthetically pleasing way, while attaining the same sound? It looks pretty good in burnt orange maple top, because that color scheme hides the pickups a bit. And the more I look at various iterations of the 513 as I'm writing this, the better they look lol.

So uhhh, never mind :)

Back