Gravity...

This may sound a little crazy, but two suggestions if you haven't tried 'em:
- Paul's Guitar
- McCarty 594

In all seriousness, both guitars cut out a lot of the midrange congestion that PRS guitars can have through some amps.

I have a PG but it's in a vault 5000 miles away. The 594 isn't for me.

I would be interested in hearing a 25.5" scale guitar with narrow 408's. The Brent Mason is close (25.25" scale) but looks more like a Strat than a PRS. I suppose I could send an alder-body 305 to the PTC for a Brent Mason pickup combo.

Dr. Scholls ain't gonna give his up, son! o_O

How did you know? :)

Last edited:
I think I'll try a Korina McCarty with P90's.

Now the question is, "can I pry the one I want from its owner?".
I was going to suggest a McKorina Soapy earlier, but the scale length is regular 25", so it didn't really seem down your alley.

And no, you can't have mine. :D

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I would take an existing guitar and get something from the Fralin line-up of noiseless humbucker sized single coils. P-92s are some of my favorite pickups ever.

I have heard the Fralin's are nice.

I tried the Kinman Humless Humbucker sized P-90's in my Gene Baker b3 SL, and really liked them.

Goldtop%20with%20Kinmans_zpsrtnvsszu.jpg

I am having another b3 SL made with the P-90 shaped Humless Kinman's in it, and I plan to take these ones above and put them in one of my 594's. I have also considered doing a 594 PS with the P-90 shaped ones, wanted to see how there are in the SL first.

They are sweet sounding, bright and clear, without being too bright. The neck one is very sweet, smooth and clear! The bridge one is clear and bright but not thin, and both sound great clean or with varying amounts of gain.

I am also on the hunt for an SSS or HSS Strat sort of guitar, but I haven't found one that really floats my boat yet...

Last edited:
MA Pete, I'm getting a B&W "Do Not Enter" Google-user no content symbol, no image. Just me?

MA Pete, I'm getting a B&W "Do Not Enter" Google-user no content symbol, no image. Just me?

Google Photos issue. Pain in my ass for years on the Forums. I have since switched to Photobucket, but was too lazy to export that file and re-import to Photobucket.

I will try to do that later, but in the meantime:

I have those same ones, with the Black covers. Good demo!

Here's the P-90-shaped ones:

Hans!!!! What's up, buddy?

I have been on a P-90 and single coil kick as well. I have most of my single coil wants, so it's P-90 time!!! I kind of want a triple P-90 axe, but I am concerned my pick constantly hitting it would bother me. I need to try a few before ordering one. Good luck with the new fiddle. I hope it gets there safely.

<3

...is working against me.

I have a pile of humbucker-based guitars but my taste is moving away from their pull. I am leaning heavily toward single-coils and P90's these days

I find my self searching for a longer-scale, low-bling, player's guitar that still looks and feels like a PRS but sounds like a really good Strat boned a Duesenberg Starplayer.

My 305 is fun but doesn't quite get there. I'm far too attached to it, as is, to try aftermarket pickups in it. The White Rabbit gets close and is still my favorite guitar but the thin'ish SE neck profile isn't ideal. My NF3 is close too. Very close. But I long for a PRS that looks -- you know -- like a PRS. Although I could do without the sharp lip that constantly grinds my forearm.

So here it is; my wish for a simple, single-coil, long-scale PRS that roasts the tubes while still looking very much like a PRS.

I hear you brother!!! I think we are ageing like fine wine!!!

I actually thought this might have been the outcome of PRS and John Mayer, as opposed to the LP direction!!

Yeah, maybe brother Dane.

Give this song a listen (one of my all time favorite live performances) and dig how the Strat and Duesenberg sound together. It's freaking magic.

I suppose a set of Phat Cat pickups in a CU24 might be worth a dance. Hmmmm...

That Crossroads show was awesome... I play the DVD all the time when doing work on my guitars...

As for phatcats... ymmv, but I much preferred Gibson P94s when I was playing around with hb-sized P90s... the phatcats were too dark for me, and the Gibsons seemed to growl with more authority...

I had the p-90's in my long gone Blues Hawk ant it was an absolute screamer. I traded it for my first Ce 24 and am very happy now.

Back