Gratuitous SE One picture

I lowered the action on my One from super high for slide, back down to normal fretted playing. I am hoping that will improve the signal to noise ratio and maybe some of my hum problems. If that works out, I suppose I could try a nut extender to get the action up for slide, without losing the extra power of a lower action at the pickup/bridge end. I’ll keep you posted.

I lowered the action on my One from super high for slide, back down to normal fretted playing. I am hoping that will improve the signal to noise ratio and maybe some of my hum problems. If that works out, I suppose I could try a nut extender to get the action up for slide, without losing the extra power of a lower action at the pickup/bridge end. I’ll keep you posted.

Instead of the nut extender, maybe a slightly taller nut? I really dislike the nut extender, unless I am playing on my lap. I've got a '30s Oahu that was set up with the extender, but hate how it limited any type of fretting, and it's tough to get the intonation right. I tend to play behind the slide, so I don't like the action that high. If you are going full lap or bottle neck and won't ever fret the guitar, give the extender a try. It's cheap! I'm replacing the nut on the Oahu and will try to dial in the height to allow comfortable slide and fingering.

I ended up leaving my new One with medium action, and and digging it for slide and standard. It'll make me a more sensitive slide player. My wife keeps telling to work on my sensitive side, but then she gets upset when I say "OK," and go to the basement to practice. :/

The "basement" part was not an euphemism!

Yes, metric. I've used the TonePros locking studs and they're great, but I can't recommend the MannMade USA metric studs enough. Very precise fit on my One; there is no need for locking functionality.

I just like the bridge not going anywhere when I take the strings off :D

Son of a...

Kidding aside, here's a guitar I'd buy in a heartbeat:

Body Wood: Black Limba
Neck wood: Black Limba
Finish: Gloss Nitro
Pick-guard: Black
Neck carve: Pattern
Neck binding: Get the f#$k outta here
Fretboard: Ebony
Fretboard Radius: 10"
Headstock shape: Santana (headstock painted black)
Frets: 22
Inlay: Silver Sky Birds in faux ivory
Tuners: Locking
Scale-length: 24.594"
Bridge: Paul's Guitar with brass inserts
Electronics: Single TCI narrow 408 pickup with mini-toggle to split and dual-concentric pot (tone/volume)
Pickup Ring; Creme to match birds and faux ivory tuner buttons
Case: Yes, a case (not a gig bag)
Price: $1,599 or less
Sign me up!

seoneone.jpg

Well, let's hear the d@amn story, then! :D

Dweezil took pity on him at band camp, muttering something like most in need of improvement....and gave home one.

Sorry Dave, couldn’t resist the cheap joke.
Peter has it "mostly" right!:p
The first Dweezil band camp in 2010 NY was the location. I did win one of three ONEs there, a lovely Korina ONE. I have no doubt that Dweezil felt sorry for me after a couple of Master classes, so maybe... it was rigged?:D

Back