Gratuitous SE One picture

i-TWwC8Ps-X4.jpg
Love all three, but I can never see this one enough!

Son of a...

Kidding aside, here's a guitar I'd buy in a heartbeat:

Body Wood: Black Limba
Neck wood: Black Limba
Finish: Gloss Nitro
Pick-guard: Black
Neck carve: Pattern
Neck binding: Get the f#$k outta here
Fretboard: Ebony
Fretboard Radius: 10"
Headstock shape: Santana (headstock painted black)
Frets: 22
Inlay: Silver Sky Birds in faux ivory
Tuners: Locking
Scale-length: 24.594"
Bridge: Paul's Guitar with brass inserts
Electronics: Single TCI narrow 408 pickup with mini-toggle to split and dual-concentric pot (tone/volume)
Pickup Ring; Creme to match birds and faux ivory tuner buttons
Case: Yes, a case (not a gig bag)
Price: $1,599 or less
Would, in a heartbeat

Son of a...

Electronics: Single TCI narrow 408 pickup with mini-toggle to split and dual-concentric pot (tone/volume)

That would be a mighty fine guitar.

Son of a...

Sign me up!

That makes 3!

I must admit that I’ve ventured into heretical territory...

seoneminihum.JPG
When I got my SE One, I originally intended to install a Firebird pickup, like a Firebird I with a more manageable body shape. I always intended this use the One as a slide guitar, and I can’t stand the hum. However, I have not yet found the right pickup. All the Firebird and Mini Hums I’ve looked at seem weak and bright, almost silvery or Fendery. I want something big and fat in there, like a lap steel, but hum cancelling. According to the sound clips I’ve heard, a Firebird pickup won’t get me there, dashing my Sonny Landreth adoration into pieces. Yes, I know Sonny’s main guitar is a Strat, but I like when he plays Gibsons.

Currently, I feel I should just break down and get the Barden Black Beauty. I know it will have the output. Barden clarity is something to be dealt with, like maybe installing a tone knob. I played Teles and Esquires with Bardens, so I understand them - they are very sensitive to right hand technique.

One a related note - strings. My Std22 is very particular about strings and misbehaves if I don’t have 9’s on it. Everything goes all wacky, from tuning to intonation. Is the One more tolerant? Do you think it would freak out with 12’s or 13’s? Remember this is my slide guitar, and the action is set really high. I’ve heard takes of SE hard tail bridge mountings leaning forward and coming loose, so I don’t want that. What do y’all think?

One a related note - strings. My Std22 is very particular about strings and misbehaves if I don’t have 9’s on it. Everything goes all wacky, from tuning to intonation. Is the One more tolerant? Do you think it would freak out with 12’s or 13’s? Remember this is my slide guitar, and the action is set really high. I’ve heard takes of SE hard tail bridge mountings leaning forward and coming loose, so I don’t want that. What do y’all think?
IMO, stability like that depends upon the two points of contact...the nut and the bridge. It’s common to hear that players replace the SE nut for a USA nut, which includes me. The USA material can be maintained to keep the slots from binding easily and it stays that way. The fixed bridge is a work of art and brilliance and with 9s - 11s, its intonation is dead-on. Mine has stayed true/flat for the 7+ years I’ve had it, so I can confidently recommend it for your application. For bigger strings, cut the nut appropriately and consider an intonatable bridge (Mann Made makes a nice one). FYI, I relegated my ‘56 Junior to being a slide guitar because of tuning and intonation issues. But its P-90 is the darkest, most deep and growly version I’ve heard. To attempt and duplicate that, I have a V-Treb circuit on the One and it can turn a brighter pickup closer to that darkness I love.

semods3.jpg

IMO, stability like that depends upon the two points of contact...the nut and the bridge. It’s common to hear that players replace the SE nut for a USA nut, which includes me. The USA material can be maintained to keep the slots from binding easily and it stays that way. The fixed bridge is a work of art and brilliance and with 9s - 11s, its intonation is dead-on. Mine has stayed true/flat for the 7+ years I’ve had it, so I can confidently recommend it for your application. For bigger strings, cut the nut appropriately and consider an intonatable bridge (Mann Made makes a nice one). FYI, I relegated my ‘56 Junior to being a slide guitar because of tuning and intonation issues. But its P-90 is the darkest, most deep and growly version I’ve heard. To attempt and duplicate that, I have a V-Treb circuit on the One and it can turn a brighter pickup closer to that darkness I love.

semods3.jpg

Thank you for that information. Is your v-treb circuit on a stacked pot?

I hope, my friends, that you will indulge me. My beloved SE One made its first appearance on one of my studio tracks today. It performed admirably, with glorious growly tone once I got the pedals worked out. Sure, the P90 buzzed, but I can’t hear it in the mix, so I think I’m golden!

barring, of course, the goofball reflection

eHnoy92.jpg

Just noticed your Rock Slide. I use them, too, and love 'em.

Alright, I would like to personally blame Tele295, Hans, Boogie, Garret, Iceman10, Bowtiefanatc, dmatthews, mojo1fan, and GC (for their ability to price things way too low) for my lack of self control.

Anyone have a narrow 408 they want to part with?

Back