My Standard 24 mods journal

I’m showing my ignorance again…
Why do you want to remove the graphite paint?
If it’s not shielding properly or has continuity issues, I think I’d just put some copper tape over it and call it done. Obviously, I’m missing something an I’m about to feel stupid.

I’m showing my ignorance again…
Why do you want to remove the graphite paint?
If it’s not shielding properly or has continuity issues, I think I’d just put some copper tape over it and call it done. Obviously, I’m missing something an I’m about to feel stupid.

It will be shielded properly even without any form of cavity shielding. I have modern PRS pickups in my Standard; pickups are shielded with copper tape wrapped around the coils. Pickup leads are shielded, and all internal wiring is shielded and properly grounded

I have noticed something with my Custom, which came without cavity shielding. The moment I shielded the cavity with copper tape it killed my guitar, the balance was off, and the top was gone.

This is the reason. Removed shielding will be a couple of other things to add more presence to my Standard 24.

I usually wouldn't care as it's near perfect (for what it is), but I broke the volume pot, and while changing it for a new one, I do some wiring changes simultaneously.

Last edited:
It will be a shielded property even without any form of cavity shielding. I have modern PRS pickups in my Standard; pickups are shielded with copper tape wrapped around the coils. Pickup leads are shielded, and all internal wiring is shielded and properly grounded

I have noticed something with my Custom, which came without cavity shielding. The moment I shielded the cavity with copper tape it killed my guitar, the balance was off, and the top was gone.

This is the reason. Removed shielding will be a couple of other things to add more presence to my Standard 24.

I usually wouldn't care as it's near perfect (for what it is), but I broke the volume pot, and while changing it for a new one, I do some wiring changes simultaneously.
Thanks. I’ve never heard of that before.

Also the control cavity will most likely have a coating of sanding sealer and lacquer on it, so you shouldn’t have to worry too much about bare wood getting wet.
This is what I'm hoping for. The only thread I found with a similar nutcase to me was a guy trying to remove the graphite paint off the vintage strat.

I'm currently planning new control layout and waiting for parts, so the soonest I can start on it is next week or two.

I may try to sneak into a control cavity over the weekend and see how it goes with some naphtha and q-tips.

I'm planning to rewire the guitar with Tremonti Bridge going directly to the 3-way switch, keeping the partial split and tone knob dedicated to the neck 59/09 only. That should give the bridge pickup even more presence. I like the way 59/09 splits, though.

Alternatively, I may go with 3-way and 2x volume only. I rarely play this guitar clean. It's my Drop C# tool

And the winner is - acetone. Although it's like playing with fire.

I only did a test run yesterday with a Qtip and it takes the pain tight off. Unfortunately, it also melts the Qtip, lol so I will have to use something else. I will tape off half the guitar with painter's tape as I don't want this **** on the guitar finish, and go slow.

I'm waiting for new pots, gravitt wire, and an actual day off. I should be done in a week or so, though

Great work Pav. Dibs.
Thank you. It's not silky-smooth perfection lol. The cavity is not finished like the rest of the guitar - there are some dents, an uneven surface, finish buildup and such, so you can still see tinny graphite patches here and there. Not an issue for me. It looks clean enough and it did the trick - the electronic cavity is no longer a faraday cage :)

It looks like my parts won't arrive today, so I won't be able to finish the job. I'm at work for the next 5 days too but I should have it done early next week.

Follow-up question - any ideas on how to remove graphite paint from my fingers and under the nails? Hahaha... Yyyy

Back