My Standard 24 mods journal

I guess I will be cracking it open on Monday again. I will do the partial split on top of the HPF mod I already did. Once the idea got planted in my brain I knew I will eventually do it.

And the job is done. At least for as long as I can't put my hands on a square-bobbin \m/s

I have added the partial split (1k21 resistor) to the existing split with a simple low pass filter archived with 330pF to ground when the neck pickup is in split mod. IMO, that's the best split I've ever heard in a humbucker pickup, almost on pair with a decent Strat single-coils. I could try a bigger LPF capacitor. Up to 1nF, but I was afraid I would make things worse. Paul uses 330pF in 35th Anniversary and Paul's Guitar; I trust his ears.

Below is the final schematic, parts layout and a picture of a resistor mod. The only shame is; this mod takes both sections of DPDT push-pull, so a global split for both pickups won't be possible. So instead, you must do two push pulls or use two mini-toggles like in 24-08.

I'm happy to assist with layouts if you want to incorporate a partial split+LPF mod into your guitar.

]

Aaaaand it's going back on the table for a new set of pickups and electronics.

I had a love/hate relationship with 59/09 Neck and Tremonti Bridge. They are fantastic pickups but not quite me-alike. I had to set the Tremonti low with replacement, longer pickup screws to make it sound acceptable. Yet not enough bark, not entirely mine midrange. Mark sounds great with it (All I Was is one of my fave modern albums), but I sound like an ass. For some reason, the 59/09 neck was way darker than I remember with modern wiring (I have used 59-style wiring above). I expected more treble, which confused me to the point I completely fell out of love with my Standard 24 and put it on Reverb.

Another thing I thought I might like is stiffer pots, but no. I just can't stand them. They have been advertised as medium-stiff but still too hard to turn.

What prompted the changes and removing my guitar from Reverb is \m/s. I finally found a set on Reverb, open coil, unmolested. Just like I like it :) They are on the way to me from Australia, and I hope I will be able to start the surgery in early September.

I had a long overdue day off today so that I could do some planning.

What I want to do with the set of \m/s is a form of 24-08 without drilling any extra holes. The splits will be separate for each pickup; I will use the cap-to-ground coil split like in my 35th Anniversary but activated via the Master Volume and Master Tone push-pull pots. The 35th Anniversary do this with three-section 3PDT mini toggles, but it can also be done with the dual-section push-pull. I will be able to keep the same functionality, i.e., isolating unused coil instead sending it to the ground. The layout will be similar to how the Robben Ford Signature guitar was done, which electronics I could trace a couple of months ago. The main difference is the single 4PDT switch acting as master split for both pickups in Robben's guitar is split into two DPDT push-pulls; otherwise, it's all the same layout-wise.

The other thing I have decided to go ahead with is; redoing the control layout. I have a feeling I will get a lot of **** for this. I already did from friends of mine, but the Standard always was a testing ground for me, and changing toggle and controls locations will have more sense to me. So, the 3-position toggle will be moved to the old Volume position location. New Volume will be placed in the old Tone control location, and Tone will take the old 3-position toggle spot. Essentially all controls will get a clockwise shift so I can have the selector nearer to me.

To do that, I will need a short, standing Switchcraft selector and a set of CTS push-pulls. I should have the rest of the parts somewhere. I have just noticed on a BKP Store low friction CTS push-pulls with the PCB board, so I get these.

I did not feel like doing it; it's tropical today! Way too hot to **** around with soldering iron and teeny-tiny four-conductor pickup wire. I did a shambolic job, so that I will save you a pictorial. But it works as intended. I say better than expected.

I have heard so much good about \m/s; I was on the lookout for a year and a half for a perfect set of square bobbins. There are plenty of covered sets, occasionally single pickups, very rarely a set. I saw one six months ago; it was gone before I could spell square-bobbins, so I wasted no time scoring this one. As mentioned above, I had yet to learn the Metals was issued as TCI. I don't know which PRS model it was gutted off, but it was probably from current production Floyd. Either way, it came with not a mark on them. It was most likely gutted the day the guitar was bought. Their loss, my gain.

Speaking of the gain. With around 15k (14k45 measured), I was expecting the Bridge position would drive my clean amp even if I look at it funny, but no, Sir, not today. Very usable with no added drive. It has a solid bass foundation but enough highs to make it sweet. The midrange content is very different to the Tremonti Bridge I had here before, shifted more towards upper mids, just like I like it. To a degree, very similar to 85/15, it generates even harmonics equally well, just a notch hotter, although not as hot as Tremonti, which was dull (I'm sorry, Mark, I love your work!!!) in comparison. Now I know what that famous \m/ articulation tastes like!

The neck is darker but still articulative enough; it has that spark of presence when you dig in, which I greatly like. It tracks notes beautifully, even with speedy runs.

I have wired them with coil split independently for Treble and Bass pickup. I have copied the way it's done in 35th Anniversary and the Robben Ford Signature (wiring resembling Ford, but on push pulls, not the mini-toggles). So I have added the 330pf/220pF capacitors, hot to the ground when the pickup is in a split position, the unused coil is isolated, not shut to the ground like it's usually done, and the Neck pickup is flipped 180 degrees, so the active coil is further from the centre and closer to the neck for more usable single-coil-alike tone. The splits are lush, way better than Tremonti & 59/09 I had here before. The middle position, both split OoF-like tone, is to die for. I literally played the Slow Dance in a Burning Room, and I don't even listen to Mayer, lol.

With all seriousness, this set made this guitar; I had a love-hate relationship with it to the point where I put it on Reverb. I'm so glad I gave it another chance with Metals. I couldn't stop playing my Standard for hours. The only break I took was to drag the fan from my bedroom as I was fucking melting.

Metal / \m/ naming is indeed unfortunate. This guitar can do so much more with these pickups. I will risk saying; they are my fave pickups second to 85/15, which I saw as a perfect set for an undecided knob like myself who likes classic rock, British blues as much as modern metal and anything in between

I did not feel like doing it; it's tropical today! Way too hot to **** around with soldering iron and teeny-tiny four-conductor pickup wire. I did a shambolic job, so that I will save you a pictorial. But it works as intended. I say better than expected.

I have heard so much good about \m/s; I was on the lookout for a year and a half for a perfect set of square bobbins. There are plenty of covered sets, occasionally single pickups, very rarely a set. I saw one six months ago; it was gone before I could spell square-bobbins, so I wasted no time scoring this one. As mentioned above, I had yet to learn the Metals was issued as TCI. I don't know which PRS model it was gutted off, but it was probably from current production Floyd. Either way, it came with not a mark on them. It was most likely gutted the day the guitar was bought. Their loss, my gain.

Speaking of the gain. With around 15k (14k45 measured), I was expecting the Bridge position would drive my clean amp even if I look at it funny, but no, Sir, not today. Very usable with no added drive. It has a solid bass foundation but enough highs to make it sweet. The midrange content is very different to the Tremonti Bridge I had here before, shifted more towards upper mids, just like I like it. To a degree, very similar to 85/15, it generates even harmonics equally well, just a notch hotter, although not as hot as Tremonti, which was dull (I'm sorry, Mark, I love your work!!!) in comparison. Now I know what that famous \m/ articulation tastes like!

The neck is darker but still articulative enough; it has that spark of presence when you dig in, which I greatly like. It tracks notes beautifully, even with speedy runs.

I have wired them with coil split independently for Treble and Bass pickup. I have copied the way it's done in 35th Anniversary and the Robben Ford Signature (wiring resembling Ford, but on push pulls, not the mini-toggles). So I have added the 330pf/220pF capacitors, hot to the ground when the pickup is in a split position, the unused coil is isolated, not shut to the ground like it's usually done, and the Neck pickup is flipped 180 degrees, so the active coil is further from the centre and closer to the neck for more usable single-coil-alike tone. The splits are lush, way better than Tremonti & 59/09 I had here before. The middle position, both split OoF-like tone, is to die for. I literally played the Slow Dance in a Burning Room, and I don't even listen to Mayer, lol.

With all seriousness, this set made this guitar; I had a love-hate relationship with it to the point where I put it on Reverb. I'm so glad I gave it another chance with Metals. I couldn't stop playing my Standard for hours. The only break I took was to drag the fan from my bedroom as I was fucking melting.

Metal / \m/ naming is indeed unfortunate. This guitar can do so much more with these pickups. I will risk saying; they are my fave pickups second to 85/15, which I saw as a perfect set for an undecided knob like myself who likes classic rock, British blues as much as modern metal and anything in between

Glad you kept your Std Pav, great to hear you’re in love again.

I've been playing my Standard 24 guitar for a few months now and I still love it, the \m/s are something else, exelent pickups; especially the bridge. However, I'm thinking about changing the magnet in the neck pickup or swapping it out for a different model. I've never tried the 57/08 pickups, but I would love to have one with square-bobbins. I've been searching on eBay and Reverb, but no luck so far.

Alternatively, I have some parts from a square-bobbins pickup that I could use to ask OX4 or BKP to wind me a new neck pickup. However, I'd prefer to stick with PRS pickups because using non-PRS pickups on a PRS guitar seems wrong to me.

In short, if you have a set of 57/08 Square-Bobbins pickups that you're willing to sell, please PM me

I've been playing my Standard 24 guitar for a few months now and I still love it, the \m/s are something else, exelent pickups; especially the bridge. However, I'm thinking about changing the magnet in the neck pickup or swapping it out for a different model. I've never tried the 57/08 pickups, but I would love to have one with square-bobbins. I've been searching on eBay and Reverb, but no luck so far.

Alternatively, I have some parts from a square-bobbins pickup that I could use to ask OX4 or BKP to wind me a new neck pickup. However, I'd prefer to stick with PRS pickups because using non-PRS pickups on a PRS guitar seems wrong to me.

In short, if you have a set of 57/08 Square-Bobbins pickups that you're willing to sell, please PM me
Good luck on the hunt. I’m not sure if they ever made squabbin 57/08s

Back