My Standard 24 mods journal

Simon Says

The Owl guy
Can you recommend an effective way to remove graphite paint from the electronics cavity?

Cheers

Risk of removing lacquer around the control cavity.

Paint stripper has an awful habit of getting in places you don’t want it.

Just saying.
I agree totally but you can mask off areas. Some graphite shielding paint is water soluble so a bit of water and wet and dry works. Even better a synthetic steel wool.

Thanks, guys. I did some reading today. It's good to know there are other mentally ill people like me out there doing idiotic stuff like that. The sad part is - none of them succeeded. I plan to use naphtha. It's safe for the finish, so it comes in first. If it doesn't work, I may try the acetone but Im scared I will mess up the finish, so I either go for sanding paper. Either way - I will let you know

Thanks, guys. I did some reading today. It's good to know there are other mentally ill people like me out there doing idiotic stuff like that. The sad part is - none of them succeeded. I plan to use naphtha. It's safe for the finish, so it comes in first. If it doesn't work, I may try the acetone but Im scared I will mess up the finish, so I either go for sanding paper. Either way - I will let you know
Good luck! I recommend using scrapers rather than sand paper if at all possible. I am talking about scrapers used in violin making etc not for paint stripping. If you want to give it a try check out how to sharpen them correctly, forming a bur and then bending it....

Good luck! I recommend using scrapers rather than sand paper if at all possible. I am talking about scrapers used in violin making etc not for paint stripping. If you want to give it a try check out how to sharpen them correctly, forming a bur and then bending it....
It may be a bit difficult to reach there with scrapers. I have some Scotch pads, which I have a lot of hope in.

Depends on the size and shape scraper..... LOL

One thing that would be possible is that with extreme care you could "skim" the inside of the cavity with a router.

I didn’t want to suggest this.

Certainly the most accurate way of doing it.

However an accurate template would be required and how you fix it down over the work piece needs to be considered carefully.

Also, if there are routs at different thicknesses to allow switches, knobs to pass through, it would be easy to rout through the top without extreme care.

I didn’t want to suggest this.

Certainly the most accurate way of doing it.

However an accurate template would be required and how you fix it down over the work piece needs to be considered carefully.

Also, if there are routs at different thicknesses to allow switches, knobs to pass through, it would be easy to rout through the top without extreme care.
LOL.... I have been adventurous when it comes to wood work over the years. I was in two minds whether to bring up the idea. I can visualise several ways to do it.

In terms of the scrapers existing ones can easily be fettled to navigate the cavity.... but this is jumping into the realism of tool building.

I need a Dremel in my life.

To be fair, I'm hoping the graphite paint used by PRS in the 90s is water-based and will come off quickly. I really dont want to **** around with it for hours ;)

I need a Dremel in my life.

To be fair, I'm hoping the graphite paint used by PRS in the 90s is water-based and will come off quickly. I really dont want to **** around with it for hours ;)

Yep that’s why we suggested the dremel.

If you do go down this route (no pun intended) maybe set up a vacuum hose next you where you’re working to suck up as much loose material as you work.

Hope it works out ok.

Back