Graph Tech Ghost install without permanent holes?

InTooDeep

Out Lobstering...
I am thinking of installing ghost Piezo saddles on my 90's CE 24 with a Mann bridge. I really don't want to drill through the bridge and I'm wondering if I can either run the wires over the front of the vibrato and into the cavity, or slot the underside of the bridge pickup ring and run the wires that way, at least to try it out for a while.

I would just do a stereo jack (mag tip, piezo ring) and an outboard preamp (fractal) so I wouldn't need to deal with the internal preamp, wiring, or battery.

Anyone attempt this? I suppose the biggest risk/unknown is running the wires from the saddles and not crushing them.

I emailed Graph Tech, and they say its entirely doable to not drill out the bridge. I imagine it may look a bit odd, having the wires visible for that run from the bridge to the pickup, but I guess we'll see.

I know this is an old thread, but I am considering a piezo on my CE 24. What did you decide to do, and is it working out for you?

I did not end up doing the install. However i did speak to John Mann and he said he could precisely modify the bridge for this purpose if I mailed it to him.
If you do it, please share your methods and results!

I'm almost done with my install. Because my parts supplier sent me the upgrade acousti-phonic kit, I decided to use two mini switches and the piezo volume/tone pot instead of what I had planned with the triple shot rings. This required me to drill two mini switch holes between the volume and tone knobs. Was a little bit stressful drilling through the body, but it will be definetley worth it. Looks somewhat like a Custom 24 08. Only difference is the mini switches are not angled straight, but are in line with the volume and tone pot. I thought drilling the bridge would be difficult, but the metal was not that hard to drill through. I used titanium drill bits, that might've helped. I will post pics of how it looks. I am documenting much of this for my thread: "New Thread Piezo" for others to see. https://photos.app.goo.gl/idQowXFPgTZJQFuN6

Last edited:
Back