Grant Green

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hi guys,
I'm looking for some advice. I've owned Idle Moments by Grant Green for years. It's one of my all-time favorites. I've listened to it over 200 times, according to iTunes alone. Here's the problem. Grant was a tremendously prolific artist. And I've heard that his catalog has some real gems, and some real...lets just say dog rockets. Can any of you offer some other choices I should give a listen?
Thanks,
Brad

I like The Latin Bit.

It's almost easier to list the unpopular later ones like Iron City, which I like a lot!

George Benson definitely got some stuff from Grant Green.

I really dig his early 70's funk stuff. I've only heard one album from early in his career, Sunday Mornin' which is good, but I definitely lean heavily to the groovier stuff. I'm not really into straight ahead guitar jazz.

Sunday Mornin' absolutely. God Bless the child on that...yowza.

Grandstand is great and classic, Old Folks on there is a standout to me.

If I may also suggest Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery Dynamic Duo - always listening to a lot of that.

I liked his funky stuff. My favorites were on Grant Green Alive. Check out "Let the Music Take Your Mind" and "Sookie Sookie" :top:

Just listened to Alive! for the first time. I definitely had my stank face on 'cause it's soooo funky in there! :congrats:

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. As far as jazz goes, I still think Wes is the Master, and I listen to him all the time, but Grant has become one of my favorites, just because of Idle Moments. I’ll check out some of your recs.
Thanks,
bs

Last edited:
Back